Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a couple free video cards...worth using over my current one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a couple free video cards...worth using over my current one?

Someone gave me two ATI 4650 512mb cards that they weren't using. I currently have an 8800 GTS (320mb), and I can't really play ArmA2 on it...the rest of my specs are more than adequate for ArmA2 (i7/12gb ram), but I play at 1920x1200 and the 8800GTS is barely enough for single player (which means multiplayer is impossible).

So, will two 4650 cards in crossfire be worth it, or should I not bother going through the trouble of installing them? I can't really find a way to compare them against the 8800 GTS...in reviews of either card, the benchmarks don't compare them and those benchmarks don't really contain the same games or benchmark tools...Tom's Hardware had something half-decent ( http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/g...1829.html?prod[3678]=on&prod[3642]=on ), but the closest I could get to two 4650s in crossfire was a 4670 CF (I guess like an x2 card?) and it did marginally better than the 8800 GTS...enough to upgrade.

Thanks to anyone that can offer me some guidance...as it stands now I'll probably throw them both in and overclock them as much as I can.

Re: Got a couple free video cards...worth using over my current one?

Im using the 8800gts 320 and I get about 40fps (except in some areas of chenarus). Try installing some performance mods (Like landtex & Proper low grass). Hope this helps.
    |TG-73rd|Socomseal
    |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Hello AutumnJazz,

Unfortunately, I can't give you the detailed performance comparison as you might have requested. Personally, I am using the ATI 4850 512MB card.
      It does the job for me, nothing fancy. As with most other cards out there, it all about finding the balance that you like or what you can cope with in my case. Perhaps you can read the other forums and ask the guys that are more in tune with the tech details. Guys like Bamboo, and Impulse comes to mind (there are lots more, but their names eludes me at this time)
      I wish you best of luck in getting the information that you would require and hope to see you on the virtual battlefield.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

A single card solution is almost always the best way to go in terms of cost to performance. Since you got them for free that's not a good metric.

I'd stick with the 8800. It's late or I'd post some benchmarks, but the 8800 is a solid card. I'm almost 100% positive the single 8800 is faster. I'd pawn the two 4650's and upgrade to a 5770.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X