Setting Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Up

Hey bros, I just finished 3 years in Bogota, Colombia and have decided to enjoy the difference between the crappy 3rd world embassy internet I had, and the space-internet I've got now.
    I've got one problem keeping me from getting with the program though:

I just got ArmA: Combined Operations off steam(downloaded the sprocket arma2 like a year back, lost my download key and didn't want to make the effort to find it and have to interface two different versions), and I have absolutely ZERO clue how to set this thing up to be squared away. I looked around and found the New Player Guide, but then I found this gem at the heading:

"This WIKI is out of date, pending implementation of ARMA2:OA:CO w/ACE+ACRE."

Then I found ARMA2.TACTICALGAMER.COM and Sandiford's install guide, but I have no idea if that's what I need or if that's also outdated. I also assume that having the steam version of Combined Ops complicates things. Can anyone spell this out for me(try to use small words, I'm challenged here)? Thanks a million for the help guys!
    "Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks."

Re: Setting Up

Sandis guide works well for the steam stuff. Give it a go, if you run into any trouble post here an we will get you taken care of.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Sandies guide should be good to follow, he's doing a great job of maintaining it.

Comment

Well, I followed instructions, with me being dumb enough to do some of the steps backwards. For instance, I downloaded the mods via Yuma before I set up the symlink. I hope this won't create any problems? I set up the ArmA launcher, pointed it in the right direction, loaded up the mods, and was good to go, as per instructions.

The real problem is that, while I think everything worked, I get terrible, game breaking lag from the moment I start it up. Now, this didn't happen before I installed the mods. I've got a powerful rig, and it ran practically maxed with no hiccups. Now, though, it's a total slideshow, even just at the main menu, let alone at the armory or a scenario, for instance. I also get occasional screens of "Advanced Combat Environment" with a background of an explosion, which I assume are loading screens for ACE.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Thanks for the help guys.
        Last edited by Buck Turgidson; 08-08-2010, 11:06 PM.
        "Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks."

Comment

yoma before symlink is fine.

I haven't heard of someone having your issue before, I was would suggest you go through and try to isolate what's causing it.
          -check pure OA by renaming your addOns symlink and running with no mods
          -then try naming your symlink back to addOns and see if CO works
          -then go through mods, start with CBA, then add ACE and ACEX, then add JayArma2Lib and and ACRE, then @TGMaps
          Last edited by Sandiford; 08-09-2010, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandiford View Post
            yoma before symlink is fine.

I haven't heard of someone having your issue before, I was would suggest you go through and try to isolate what's causing it.
            -check pure OA by put your addOns symlink and running with no mods
            -then try naming your symlink back to addOns and see if CO works
            -then go through mods, start with CBA, then add ACE and ACEX, then add JayArma2Lib and and ACRE, then @TGMaps

I'm sorry, I don't really understand the first two steps. Can you be really, really specific about what to do, please?

Ok, so I tried disabling all the mods with the ArmA2 launcher, set the game version to CO, and launched. No dice, the thing still barely chugs past the Bohemia Interactive loading screens before the main menu because the lag is sooo bad. The background for the main menu has a really hard time loading, so it's usually just black, but then I get some square trees and things like that. The lag is equally terrible regardless of the settings I put it on.

So, I try disabling all the mods and running just OA. Same exact problem.

Then, I try the same thing, but with ArmA2. And it works just fine, no lag to speak of. Ok, so it looks like OA and CO don't work even with the mods disabled, but ArmA2 does. And I have no clue why this would be the case.

Comment

first off, if you have a symlink set up, running OA automatically runs CO, no need to take any extra steps to run CO.

I screwed up my wording above, should say to rename your addOns symlink. It will just look like a folder called addOns - rename it and you can run pure OA again.

Did your vanilla OA work before?

Comment

When I had just downloaded and installed ArmA2 and OA from steam, yeah, both ArmA2 and OA worked just fine. No issues. Like I said, I've got a pretty powerful rig, and could run them pretty much maxed with no problems. And I get the lag regardless of if I turn the settings down to Nintendo levels or not.

I did what you said(rename the addons folder in my ArmA2 directory), still have the same problem. Heh, I even took all the @blahblah files out of my OA directory, and took out the symlink. Still no luck. Of course, I've put them back now.

Comment

Are you launching through yoma?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

well I meant renaming your symlink, but should have the same effect and I think you covered it by moving the mods and symlink out of your OA folder.

Suggest verify game cache in steam (OA -> properties -> local files -> verify integrity of game cache) and/or backing up the folder then reinstalling to see if you can get vanilla working again.

If that doesn't work take it up with BI http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/issues as it would seem to be an OA bug

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                      Are you launching through yoma?
                      No, with spiritedmachine's Arma Launcher, as recommended in the install guide.

I'll try verifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
                        No, with spiritedmachine's Arma Launcher, as recommended in the install guide.

I'll try verifying.
                        would also suggest you try launching OA directly through steam to cut out any possible interferance

Comment

Alright, I just uninstalled everything related to Arma2 and OA. I'll re-download and start all this back from scratch, be extra careful, and see if I can't get it to work. Thanks for the help guys, really. I'll let you know how it goes in a couple hours.

Comment

Please do. The lag issue sounds like you might somehow be running all your addons twice. It is possible to do, and will kill your performance.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

One thing, shouldn't I use the TS beta 27, as opposed to the beta 25? Heh, my only logic is that 27 is a bigger number, and thus more recent.

Any other tips for ACRE? Heck, any tips in general for things that might not be self-evident to a drooling meatbag?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X