Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far away are zombies attracted due to gun fire?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far away are zombies attracted due to gun fire?

I recently picked up a winchester (yes I'm still a n00b) and was curious how far away I can fire at zombies to clear out an area without attracting all of them to my location?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: How far away are zombies attracted due to gun fire?

That is a good question. Before this most recent patch you could get away with a block or so with the Winny. But they have upped its audio signiture. Rule of thumb, if you can see other Zeds when you shoot they will hear it. Best bet is to draw them out of the area you want to operate in, like out into the woods or outskirts of the city then begin to take them out. Of course the bigger the gun the louder the noise. Don't even get me started on letting a CZ round go ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Depends on the gun, but the winny is on the quieter side. And i would recomend just trying to sneak pas the zeds.

sigpic

Comment

I'm trying to clear out a small area to go loot... too many to sneak and I'm too impatient to go somewhere else. :0
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

If you got the ammo and the cajones just start blasting ;)

PROTIP: If you anger the mob, run inside of an open building and cover the doorway. Zeds hate tile/carpet and will walk slowly giving you time to aim for the one shot kills

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Yeah, I wonder about this too...

Aside: You'd be surprised how close you can get to them if you're prone. I was out of ammo and crawled into a zombie-infested town for loot. Just went prone when they got close.. had a few pass within maybe 5m of me!

Comment

Add to what dredge said. Use enter able buildings with a second storey access.
              In fact any buildings with a stair case.

Best places to create a kill zones in this mod. Zombies tend to slow down to a walk on stairs.

Sent from my phone

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Extensive use of the CZ says the minimum range to be unheard be the Roamers is approx 200m. Other weapons vary but I'd think the CZ is the loudest rifle in game.

Basically in PvE I suggest small arms/winnie.

Comment

I ended up giving the winchester a run and was able to hit targets w/o getting swarmed. I was doing well and really only got caught when others were close but off to the side / over the hill that I didn't know where there. I saw the CZ and passed on it cause I didn't want something so noisy.

Of course I cleared the zone, entered the barn and looted, only to walk out and have zombie spawn on me. Ugh.
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

The Lee Enfield is louder than the CZ and can bring whole villages running if used up close. Also, zombies cannot tread on docks, something about their pathfinding does not allow them to step foot on one, so use those if you're on the coast and get swarmed.

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
                      I recently picked up a winchester (yes I'm still a n00b)
                      Whinny ammo is easy to find and plentiful.. I don't consider it a noob gun at all.. it's probably one of the most sustainable weapons in DayZ. Of course it's poor when matched against other mil-grade players for PvP action when the other guy can sight to 500m and drop a 20:1 ratio of ammo out of the barrel though :]
                      I make beer and work on RO/RO2 mods.

Comment

Originally posted by mat552 View Post
                        The Lee Enfield is louder than the CZ and can bring whole villages running if used up close. Also, zombies cannot tread on docks, something about their pathfinding does not allow them to step foot on one, so use those if you're on the coast and get swarmed.
                        The Dayz forum said the sound file projects the Lee's sound farther than other weapons so that is why you draw Zeds from farther away t han the CZ even though it doesn't sound much louder.
                        I would be careful about trusting docks if you are going to Alt-Tab or anything like that.
                        You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                        So that when they turn their backs on you,
                        You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

I tried out the crossbow last night, wipped out all of the zeds in a small town without agro...but it was sO slow
                          that zed were spawningin lines
                          Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Do you have to keep recovering your bolts?
                            |TG-12th| asch
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
                              Do you have to keep recovering your bolts?
                              If you don't want to run out of ammo..yes ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X