Any performance tuning tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any performance tuning tips?

I've noticed that my fps drops significantly while in some towns and was curious if there are any performance tweaks that can be made to help this? Or what video settings can be turned down / disabled without affecting the game-play too much?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Any performance tuning tips?

I have turned down a lot of settings for heat reasons and I haven't noticed much difference.
    I set my view distance to 2000m since you can never see farther than that anyway.
    You should turn post-processing off though since that is just annoying and nauseating when you are wounded.
    You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
    So that when they turn their backs on you,
    You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

I may be drunk, but I'm pretty sure turning shadows from Low to Very High actually gave me a perfomance increase. o_0

Comment

Hmmm... You do sound drunk W6. Memorial Day weekend hangover? :p

When I'm out in the open and in (some) towns I don't have an issue. But last night I entered Vybor and was looting the town. My FPS started to drop and it became difficult to respond quickly to threats. I was crawling by a zed and was taken out by another survivor.

So I'm less concerned about everything being pretty... I just want to be able to play. I've noticed that arma doesn't utilize multiple cores or gpus?
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
          I may be drunk, but I'm pretty sure turning shadows from Low to Very High actually gave me a perfomance increase. o_0
          No on this occasion you are not drunk Whiskey, well you might be, but your inebriation has not led you to make outlandish claims. Setting shadows to very high actually shifts some of the work from the CPU, which handles shadows on low onto the GPU, which handles shadows on high (rough explanation). This does usually lead to a performance boost as the Arma engine hammers your CPU and most people have fairly beefy GPU's. Shifting the load in this manner is pretty smart.

@ Asch

So as Callous said:-

- Shadows on high (shift load onto GPU)
          - Terrain on medium (doesn't look much different and has an impact)
          - Post processing on low or off if you prefer
          - View distance at 2K or less, it really is unnecessary to have it any higher. So what if someone has their's set at 2005m, what's he going to do call in Artillery, attach the Hubble telescope to his Makarov and take a pot shot.

There are also some config tweaks you can do with grass etc. Asch can you post your up to date specs, resolution and current settings with an FPS count so I can do some homework.

Comment

Use the latest beta patch to join.

Look for a folder called "ArmA2" within your my documents.
            Within that look for a file called "ArmA2OA.cfg"

Scroll down to "FXAA" & "AToC"
            Edit the FXAA to 3
            Edit the AToC to 0

Save

Instant frame rate increase.

Sent from my phone

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Thank you Low, thats exactly what I was trying to think of, the Atoc whatsit!

Comment

arma2oa dayz video settings_asch.jpg

There's a screenie of my current video settings. Note I did make the suggested shadow change just before taking that screenie.

My current rig has...

(cpu) Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
                (mem) CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
                (gpu) EVGA GeForce GTX 295 1792MB Video Card
                (hdd) Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

While out in the open I get a pretty good frame rate however when I enter some towns it drops < 20 and sometimes into the teens sporadically.
                |TG-12th| asch
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                  Use the latest beta patch to join.

Look for a folder called "ArmA2" within your my documents.
                  Within that look for a file called "ArmA2OA.cfg"

Scroll down to "FXAA" & "AToC"
                  Edit the FXAA to 3
                  Edit the AToC to 0
                  Done... so what did I just do? :-)
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for this thread, I was coming here for the same thing. Right now I'm getting a slideshow which is unacceptable. My rig is pretty low-end but it wasn't this bad in vanilla ArmA or even ArmA:PR. I also read somewhere that turning off vsync should help performance, though I don't know the specifics behind that...
                    |TG-6th|Belhade
                    "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

AToC
                      setting not available in UI, Level of Alpha To Coverage Anti-Aliasing[1] (7=all enabled(default) or 0=disabled (normal AA prior AToC))
                      0 - disabled
                      1 - AToC on grass
                      2 - AToC on new OA trees (takistan, zargabad, proving ground, shapur)
                      4 - AToC on old A2 trees (utes, chernarus)
                      // combined
                      3 - AToC on grass & OA trees
                      5 - AToC on A2 trees + grass
                      6 - AToC on A2 + OA trees
                      7 - AToC enabled on grass, A2 & OA trees (default)
                      More detailed description by a community member.
                      NOTE: AToC is inactive if Anti-Aliasing is disabled in advanced video options!
                      PPAA
                      setting not (yet) available in UI. Default is Disabled. Enables Anti-Aliasing technique via post processing: [2]
                      0 - Disabled
                      1 - FXAA [3]
                      2 - FXAA + sharp filter [4] (hard-coded strength of sharpen is now 0.15)
                      3 - SMAA [5]
                      WARNING this setting was introduced in 1.61 beta 89223
                      PPAA_Level=0; setting not (yet) available in UI. Default is Disabled. Values determine for each respective PPAA type used:
                      0 - SMAA_PRESET_LOW or FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_12
                      1 - SMAA_PRESET_MEDIUM or FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_22
                      2 - SMAA_PRESET_HIGH or FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_26
                      3 - SMAA_PRESET_ULTRA or FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_39
                      WARNING this setting was introduced in 1.61 beta 89223
                      FXAA
                      setting not (yet) available in UI. Default is Disabled. enables Anti-Aliasing technique via post processing
                      0 - Disabled
                      1 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_10
                      2 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_11
                      3 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_12
                      4 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_13
                      5 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_14
                      6 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_15
                      7 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_20
                      8 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_21
                      9 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_22
                      10 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_23
                      11 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_24
                      12 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_25
                      13 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_26
                      14 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_27
                      15 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_28
                      16 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_29
                      17 - FXAA_QUALITY_PRESET_39
                      Complexity of quality settings are based on default FXAA settings (revision 3.11)
                      10 to 15 - default medium dither (10=fastest, 15=highest quality)
                      20 to 29 - less dither, more expensive (20=fastest, 29=highest quality)
                      39 - no dither, very expensive
                      NOTE: FXAA can be enabled even if Post-Processing was disabled in advanced video options!
                      WARNING this setting was removed in 1.61 beta as deprecated
                      FXAASharp=0; Default is disabled (0), quality levels range from 1 to 6, where 6 is the sharpest filter
                      NOTE: FXAAsharpen is inactive while NightVision and Thermal Imaging are used.
                      WARNING this setting was removed in 1.61 beta as deprecated
                      I guess FXAA is pointless now.

But the rest should be good to go.

@Wicks
                      Yes, I don't like these whatsits too :)

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Another pro tip.

Press SHIFT + Numpad - (Minus)
                        then type
                        FLUSH (not in caps)

If done correctly, you'll see your screen go black with words "Memory flush" (or something close to it). On the top left corner of the screen.

Usually helps my screen declutter with crazy texture issues.

Speaking of low end PCs I don't think anyone else has worse system than I do.
                        :)

Comment

Be advised that some servers cause fps drops if they are not clearing data properly....I have a 2500k and 580gtx and sometimes the servers cause me to drop into the teens.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Yeah turn off vsync, basically if you do not meet your monitor refresh rate ie your fps can't hit 60 then you run the risk of being pegged back to a multiple such as 15, 20, 30. You want every frame you can get at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by asch View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9963[/ATTACH]

There's a screenie of my current video settings. Note I did make the suggested shadow change just before taking that screenie.

My current rig has...

(cpu) Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
                              (mem) CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
                              (gpu) EVGA GeForce GTX 295 1792MB Video Card
                              (hdd) Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

While out in the open I get a pretty good frame rate however when I enter some towns it drops < 20 and sometimes into the teens sporadically.
                              You got that processor over locked yet. Arma performs much better over 3ghz. If your not sure how to do it, most mobo manufactures have an automatic OC program. That will help FPS as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
                              sigpic

Former Pathfinder
                              Former ARMA Admin
                              Former ARMA TGU instructor
                              Former TGU Headmaster
                              Current Noob
                              Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server