Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

our buggy moral code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • our buggy moral code

    A very interesting talk about how morality works from a scientific point of view.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_ariely_...oral_code.html
    You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
    So that when they turn their backs on you,
    You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

  • #2
    Re: our buggy moral code

    I'm currently using my Personal Fudge Factor to justify the two people I murdered yesterday.

    I think the Honor Code fits us since I've heard no event of intentional TG-fratricide.

    Thanks for this video.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: our buggy moral code

      Intentional no. Unintentional? Thats a whooooole other story. I managed to both teamkill someone and get teamkilled myself yesterday. :p

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: our buggy moral code

        #1 reason this game appeals to me is: there is no authority to which to defer hard decisions.
        Am I justified in killing potential hostiles entering Cherno? How do I know they won't harm my friends?

        There is no SL or CO or Judge or God to guide my decisions - this is me, now, and it's live or die. I need to make the right call.
        I've reverted to primal instincts at this point: survive first, help friends second, damn everything else third.

        BTW, haven't seen that video yet, but it's bookmarked for tonight. Anything with TED.com in its URL is worth my time.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: our buggy moral code

          Originally posted by Ytman View Post
          I think the Honor Code fits us since I've heard no event of intentional TG-fratricide.
          Still picking my target.
          Favs so far are Boog and Dredge ;)

          |

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: our buggy moral code

            Originally posted by Zhohar View Post
            #1 reason this game appeals to me is: there is no authority to which to defer hard decisions.
            Am I justified in killing potential hostiles entering Cherno? How do I know they won't harm my friends?

            There is no SL or CO or Judge or God to guide my decisions - this is me, now, and it's live or die. I need to make the right call.
            I've reverted to primal instincts at this point: survive first, help friends second, damn everything else third.

            BTW, haven't seen that video yet, but it's bookmarked for tonight. Anything with TED.com in its URL is worth my time.
            true that!

            I kill first because if I dont he will(maybe). not about to take that chance :D

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: our buggy moral code

              moral code? As they say in the USMC, Kill kill, kill them all. It's the end of the world, go nuts.

              "All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: our buggy moral code

                There is a hearty debate on the DayZ forums about the issue of "PK" or PvP and this seemed to strike right at the heart of it.
                If you only go by the forum posts there is a constant deathmatch going on and nobody can survive all the banditry.
                If, on the other hand, you look at the numbers DayZ posts about player population, bandits and murders it seems like those numbers are roughly in line with those from the video.
                You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                So that when they turn their backs on you,
                You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: our buggy moral code

                  I really think if DayZ promoted more VOIP usage, you would see more people caring a little more about others. It would be so much easier to call out to someone in VOIP instead of typing away and hoping they read it.

                  "All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: our buggy moral code

                    I convinced a guy to drop his weapon and leave the North West airfield once. Had him in my sights and he didn't take many seconds to listen.

                    Even said thanks for not killing him!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: our buggy moral code

                      I've interacted with quite a few non tg ers so far, even teaming up with 3 players not using Von, and nobody has been hostile to me yet. However, I have avoided the coasts for novy sobor and the hills. Camaraderie reminds me of quake 2 back in the late 90s, actually.
                      "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
                      -Einstein

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: our buggy moral code

                        Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                        I convinced a guy to drop his weapon and leave the North West airfield once. Had him in my sights and he didn't take many seconds to listen.

                        Even said thanks for not killing him!
                        I was there that night - YT also "convinced" 3 other people to leave the airfield. His tactics included 300m SVD shots to the head, chest, and neck.
                        Last edited by Zhohar; 05-31-2012, 04:01 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: our buggy moral code

                          Originally posted by Zhohar View Post
                          I was there that night - YT also "convinced" 3 other people to leave the airfield. His tactics included 300m SVD shots to the head, chest, and neck.
                          Ultima ratio !
                          YT is a skilled negotiator :D
                          You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                          So that when they turn their backs on you,
                          You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: our buggy moral code

                            So what happened Zho ? YT shot 3 guys from long range with his SVD to convince the 4th to leave ?

                            I am impressed with the Whiteman ;)

                            |

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: our buggy moral code

                              There is hope out there, last night traveling from Cherno to try to meet up with a few TG members around Story. I was heading to Bor to resupply at the Grocery store when I saw and entered a barn and the Zed's started coming at me one by one and was able to eliminate all but was out of ammo now. That is when I heard a popping of a soda can and gurgling of someone drinking just outside of the barn. I watched him come in and I announced over direct comms that I was a friendly. No reply from him, I am out of ammo and started to think it's going to be Beach time again. But he just ignored me looked for loot and we parted ways. I traveled across the field to the tree line to the west of the barn and disconnected while on my knees being thankful.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X