No announcement yet.

Which weapons should we be looking for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which weapons should we be looking for?

I'm carrying around the trusty winchester mostly because it's quiet and ammo is abundant. However the other reason I'm carrying it around is because I really don't know much about the other weapons. I can read the weapon stats on the wiki, but that doesn't really tell me much.

Which weapons are better in certain situations?
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: Which weapons should we be looking for?

If there were only zombies, the winchester would be the best gun in the game, hands down. But unfortunately there is a bigger danger to worry about. Another player desperate for supplies. I've been playing for a while and have been through various weapon loadouts. Zombies are easy to kill. I would suggest having a 1911 as your side arm. Ammo is easy to find and it takes down zeds in 1 shot. I always switch to my sidearm to handle zombies. As for your main weapon. You can't go wrong with any of the assault rifles. AK and Stanag ammo is very easy to find. This setup will allow you to take down zeds fast as well as players hunting you down. A winchester can do well against players in short range encounters, but that rarely happens to me. So i suggest joining with some buddies and go looting for an assault rifle. My favorite gun in the game, as well as my current weapon, is the M14 AIM. It shoots 7.62 DMR mags but has a red dot sight for versatility. 1 hit kills. Perfect for other players. It is very rare, so finding it will be tough. Hope I helped.

Comment

A Winchester is better than nothing. I like the 550. But i now have a M4A1 with a holo. Haven't got to use it yet. Ill let you know how it performs soon.
      Never fear! Kizz is here! - Medic - Pilot (CAS-Heilo, NO JET) - AT

Comment

I like the G17 as my sidearm. Sure it's not that powerful but it's pretty quiet and can use M9/SD mags, so there's usually plenty of ammo to be found (and it comes with a flashlight too!) As for what gun is best, I find it comes down to mostly personal preference. The DayZ wiki has a good rundown of all the weapons: shots to kill, noise level, availability, etc. Sometimes the stats don't make too much sense (i.e. the AIM DMR is quieter than the scoped DMR, the remington makes low noise while the M1014 is high noise, etc) so it's good to check here and see what fits your play-style best. Personally I prefer the DMR as my primary, good range and a 1-hit kill.

If anyone hasn't seen the weapons wiki yet, check out this link.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

I played for an entire week and I only found 3 winchesters, 2 enfields, 2 crossbows, and a CZ sniper.

I had about 54 kills with the enfield, although its basically a zombie whistle.

Oh, and I found a marine loaded out with a Javelin and full kit... but thats another story.

Where do guys normally go, besides the NW airfield, to loot other weapons, like the 1911, revolver, and AKM?
          "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
          -Einstein

Comment

Deer stands are your best bet for military gear. It's much safer than trying to sneak into an airfield or military compound. The 1911 and revolver are "civilian" loot IIRC and you'll need to find those in a civilian building like a church.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

You can find 1911's galore in markets or apartment buildings all over the map.

Comment

Fire stations also have military grade weapons. If you spawn near cherno for instance, its always a safe bet to raid the church, store and firestation. Theres a good chance you'll walk out of there with a good pistol, an assault rifle a decent pack and a good amount of supplies. If you die its no big deal either, since you've just spawned anyway.

Comment

For primary weapons, I like the AS50 sniper rifle for long range because it can zero in up to 1600m and is guaranteed 1-shot kill on zombies and players. Problem is ammo is a pain to find even though it uses both AS50 and M107 mags. I scrounged around helicopter crash sites and military bases for hours, and hardly ever saw these ammo types lying around. Now I'm using the M4A3 CCO, which has been a really good all-purpose gun. It has low recoil, semi & full auto firing modes, red dot sight with accuracy up to 300m, flashlight, and uses STANAG and STANAG SD mags which are pretty common. I used to use the AKM which had awesome power, but was way too loud and attracted way too many zombies! I've tried the FN FAL and FN FAL AN/PVS-4. I did not like the iron sight for the FN FAL and the FN FAL AN/PVS-4 was only equipped with a NV scope which made it completely useless during the day. I got rid of these guns pretty quick. I say any carbine or AK assault rifle would be good keeps. I would recommend the M4A3 CCO as a solid primary, which seems to be a lot better than all the other M4A1 or M16 vairants in terms of ease of use and capabilities.

For secondary weapons, I love the G17 because of the flashlight and low noise level but now that I have the M4A3 CCO I don't really need the extra flashlight on the G17 (I don't understand why you have to equip the normal flashlight or military flashlight from your tool belt to your secondary slot to actually use...kind of a waste). I do prefer the M1911 for stopping power, but ammo was not as abundant as the G17 since u could use G17 and M9 mags. Although I just found out that you could convert .45 ACP ammo into M1911 ammo clips, so if I see another M1911, I might grab it again. I've also tried the PDW uzi as a secondary gun, which has full auto capability, but was highly inaccurate. I blew through many clips with that secondary, but the nice thing is you could use any and every 9mm mag with it including MP5 mags, so finding ammo was pretty easy as long as you have the inventory space. I still prefer the G17 or M1911 for secondary though.

Comment

I like 7.62x51mm weapons, so for the primary I'm partial towards carrying either an M14 and a DMR or an M14 and an M24 (ammosharing for the win). Alternatively go for an AKM or M4A1 holo. Most other weapons are either inferior or impractical thing as their ammunition is so rare.

For your secondary, I agree with Kaye and say either the M1911 or Glock is your best choice. The Glock's probably a better gun but finding ammunition for it is a bit of a chore whereas ammunition for the M1911 is extremely common because you can convert .45 ACP revolver rounds to 1911 ones. Some people prefer the revolver for its superior accuracy however.

I also like carrying a pair of frag and smoke grenades.
                    sigpic PROJECT REALITY

Comment

As a reminder, the glock does take G17, M9, and M9SD rounds. There is also the PDW which takes M9, M9SD, G17, PDW, MP5, and MP5 SD rounds... The PDW is automatic and the iron on it sucks...

There is a downside of the M14 and that is the extreme noise it makes, you ultimately need to consider whether you want to power to kill and not alert the whole horde or if you want to kill everything that moves while throwing caution to the wind...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I rock a open top m249.

When in doubt. Full auto
                        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Portable.Cougar View Post
                          I rock a open top m249.

When in doubt. Full auto
                          MK48 baby.

I also love the FN FAL and SVD.

Comment

My favorite is the M4 SD, though the Stanag SD ammo is hard enough to get. The other M4 is good with either regular Stanag or SD. That and the M1911 sidearm. Finding a good circuit of deer stands to farm, or enough security to raid the army tents in Stary Sobor are the best ways to get most weapons.
                            |TG-6th|Belhade
                            "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

you know, I've been thinking but with all the hacking and all, why haven't we seen any Spartans running around like the ones in the Halo mod for ArmA2? How would the world deal with some of those guns...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X