Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with buying and building a gaming pc for dayz

hi guys

I have spent countless hours watching others play dayz on youtube and now i have decided I want to join in the action :)

Need help from knowledgeable people to help build a decent PC if possible that can be upgraded in the future. Budget is 300 but can push it to 400. I have a 32 inch LCD screen with full hd, 50 mhz and hdmi slot which I can use.

I have heard you should build around the graphic card so I have done some research and Im thinking of using ATI Radeon HD 6850 or 6870 or a cheaper alternative that someone may recommend, but not sure what mother board or cpu to go for also I have read that 8GB ram is good for dayz and SSD hard drive (have no idea what SSD is).

I dont have an OS but people have recommended Windows 8 and then upgrading for 25.

Re: Help with buying and building a gaming pc for dayz

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

DayZ is in the list. Hit the recommended tab, but since it shows DayZ requiring less than Arma II or OA, I'd go with one of those. (or even ArmA III)

Comment

I'm running 4 GB RAM on Windows 7 and haven't had any problems in the short time I've been able to play, so if you need to cut out a little bit of cost somewhere you might can take it out of RAM. I would also recommend an nVidia graphics card instead of ATI, but that's more a matter of personal preference and anecdotal evidence of better stability and driver support with the games I play than anything else. If you're looking for a new CPU and are on a budget AMD is probably the way to go instead of Intel. SSD drives are good, but expensive, and the actual read/write speeds you get for the difference in cost weren't worth it for me on the last build I made. You might want to look at a higher RPM non-SSD HDD (7200+) instead. (SSD means solid state drive; basically, it's a hard drive that doesn't use plates with a rotating arm to retrieve data. The idea is that data retrieval and writing is faster and the drive has less chance for mechanical decline and failure due to the lack of moving parts.)

Just my $.02; I'm sure if someone else weighs in you'll get a different answer. :p Happy building!

Comment

The thing that boosted my ArmA performance more than anything else? a better CPU cooler. cutting my CPU temp by 5 degrees C boosted my frames by 10-15 FPS.

ArmA loves the CPU power, so allowing the CPU to clock up(cooler temps) allows for more power to run ArmA and thus making your CPU not be the bottleneck anymore

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
        The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

How much are you willing to spend? I can spec a good one out if I know how much.

Edit: Nevermind, dealing with British sites and money are not my thing. If you convert it to USD, I could spec the parts, but you would have to compile it on your own British website.
          |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

@ Harlequin Im aware of that site, I would like to push above the recommended requirements because it is an old game and newer tech has been since released

@ Arithea, prefer Intel and don’t really mind what graphics card I get whatever is the cheapest :) , would like to get gtx 560 ti but they are selling for 130 and the 6850 for 90, I have done some research and ssd is the best option.

@ Charles Darwin, your the 2nd person that has recommended a cpu cooler so will definitely add that to the shopping list

@ Price Line Negotiator, that would be awesome if you could draw up a rough spec :) the budget in dollars is $500 but I can push it to $650

Thanks for everyone’s input :)

Also Im not looking to overclock because wouldn’t know where to begin so would like to point that out :) also what are your thoughts on Intel Pentium G870 (70/$110) or Core i3-2120 (90/141)

Comment

Core i3, that hyperthreading is worth the extra boost.
              In DayZ, you either die a Survivor or live long enough to see yourself become a Bandit.

Comment

hyperthreading is useless for gaming not one game takes advantage of it, all it does is generate more heat.

Comment

CPU Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $180.52 FREE $180.52 @ Amazon

CPU Cooler - - -
                  Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $56.98 FREE $56.98 @ NCIX US

Memory Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $22.85 FREE $22.85 @ Adorama

Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.98 FREE $59.98 @ NCIX US

Video Card XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card $184.99 -$30.00 FREE $154.99 @ Newegg

$30.00 mail-in rebate

Sound Card - - -
                  Case Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 FREE $49.99 @ Newegg

Power Supply Antec 430W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $59.99 FREE $59.99 @ Mwave

Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer $17.98 $17.98 @ Outlet PC

Monitor - - -
                  Operating System - - -

Keyboard V7 CK0M1-6N6 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $15.26 FREE $15.26 @ Amazon

Mouse - - -
                  Total (before mail-in rebates): $648.54
                  Mail-in Rebates: $-30.00
                  Total: $618.54 p.s. SSD is more of a luxury then a Requirement unless u got the money to spend on one.

Comment

If you wanted to go AMD:

ASUS HD7770-DC-1GD5-V2 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121632

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136769

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231428

Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, front mounted dual USB 3.0
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147060

AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4170FRGUBOX
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819106009

SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA Model SH-222BB/BEBE - OEM
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827151244

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182200

BIOSTAR TA990FXE AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
                    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138341

Total is about $660. This is my exact rig except you're getting a better graphics card and also a better processor. I have the Sapphire 5770 and the FX-4100 and I usually clock 30 frames on high setting with 1680x1050 resolution. So you would probably hit 40-50 on high.
                    |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

if u can shop around and find an I5 2500k for a good price i would go with one of those hands down.

Comment

Thank you enkryptd :) will look up the list in uk sites, I have just heard Dayz will be a standalone game should I wait and find out what engine they would be using? becuase I dont want to spend extra if Dayz is going to use the arma 3 engine and the pc requirements maybe higher as a result.

Thanks again enkryptd.

Comment

Thanks PricelineNegotiator :) will definately look them up

Comment

brutaliityx i have a Powercolor hd3870 that you can have if you would like to spend more money on your processor. you can run it for awhile untill you wish to upgrade your graphics card.... can give you a bit of time to save for a better card whilst you play! hit me up if you are interested dude.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X