Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big News for DayZ

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/34430...-it-is-it-isnt

"They [the zombies and players] are simple, and our architecture reflects that. Achieving this will be tough, as we are already crunching very hard. If this heavy optimization is as successful as it would rationally seem to be on paper, then we will be limited on player numbers not by performance, but map design. To ensure we are right, we will be running an architecture test at some point, soon."

Possibly the best thing I've heard about the Standalone yet.
    |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Re: Big News for DayZ

Hmmm, no more zombies reaching for their guns...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

"Yes. From testing with 175 player DayZ servers we believe more than 150 players is too many for a map the size of Chernarus. While ChernarusPlus does have slightly more usable space, I still believe our current design will likely peak at 150, although my gut feeling is the system itself would support many, many more on a powerful server."
      http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comment...d_on_a/c6smkmr

Seaman

Comment

150+ players on Chernarus would be crazy.

Comment

I really hope they give us the space with that many people though....part of the fun of DayZ for me was that it was uncommon to run into another survivor so the encounter was special. Maybe others had different experiences since I played on low pop servers.

Comment

I would like to see epic player counts, but I can only expect war to follow...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

There is a huge fine line to be wary of when moving to high populations. I loved the game when only a few thousand people were enjoying the apocalypse. Now the game got so large and popular that there was nearly no reason to not murder someone who wasn't in your teamspeak.

I don't know... 150 people on Chernarus could be epic with organization and other gameplay features beyond murder/gunplay/loot finding.

Comment

It's Militia Time!!

Comment

Oooh man, I want to be the furthest I can be from Cherno and Electro as well as Stary when we get 150+, too many people for me. I'm actually thinking that the map should be a lot larger to accommodate the larger population, like, twice as big at the very least as well as more cities/military areas. That way, loot would be easier to gather and probably encourage exploration rather than going to the major cities and gunning each other down.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
                    Oooh man, I want to be the furthest I can be from Cherno and Electro as well as Stary when we get 150+, too many people for me.
                    I've always felt that the biggest rushes in DayZ were player interactions. Supposedly the zombies are going to be a much larger threat to your survival so just "camping" or infiltrating an area may be impossible now. Of course time will see.

I'm actually thinking that the map should be a lot larger to accommodate the larger population, like, twice as big at the very least
                    I think they are expanding to the unpopulated/plain areas of the map to ease density problems. If they are thinking about 150 players on the current setup then I'm guessing they have playtested it and it worked. But you have to think of what TG will be doing anyways. Groups of people will be digging our shelters and organizing supplies. So that'll take away from the total number of people in each city. Also they have been talking about multiple maps running on one server. I have no idea how this will work but possibly they will be instancing maps alongside with the hideouts?? One of the forum moderators posted something along those lines. Will be interesting to see which route they take.

Seaman

Comment

Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
                      Also they have been talking about multiple maps running on one server. I have no idea how this will work but possibly they will be instancing maps alongside with the hideouts?? One of the forum moderators posted something along those lines. Will be interesting to see which route they take.
                      Yeah, probably instances or there would be some sort of point where you fast travel to a second map. Personally, I'd rather have more city areas where people can get supplies, or at least towns, not just plains. Walking is enough of a chore as is. Perhaps the other maps would have more population-dense areas as well.

And I know some would be digging their own base out and the like, but still, I feel like there's going to be a larger majority running and gunning in the larger cities, making it total anarchy for all of us.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Would be interesting if you could set up base camps for teams/groups. If theyre are 150 people on a server you could get quite the war going.
                        US Army
                        www.youtube.com/EpionTV

Comment

I'm all for instances around the major cities on a map.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X