Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest DayZ Standalone Update

Where is the Standalone Release?

I suppose I should start with the question everyone wants to know… where is DayZ Standalone? Obviously, it’s not here. At Eurogamer I said that DayZ had to be out before the end of the year and that’s come and gone. I still stand by that comment, to achieve what we had originally wanted, we did have to be out by the end of the year - and we’ve failed to achieve that.

Put simply, DayZ Standalone isn’t here because we had the chance to go from making a game that was just the mod improved slightly, packaged simply, and sold - to actually redeveloping the engine and making the game the way we all dreamed it could be. This blew any initial plans we had dictated to pieces.

The plan going forward

The plan from here is straightforward. We will be releasing a closed test imminently, during which approximately 500-1000 people will assist in ensuring our architecture is correctly functioning. This closed test will be focused purely on architecture, not the game design. Once we have confirmed fixes for issues arising from the closed test, we will then reschedule an internal date for our public release.

For more information and new screenshots......

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

Re: Latest DayZ Standalone Update

Thanks for this news Reinhold. So, realistically, we're looking at late spring or summer...?

:icon_frow
    |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
    sigpic

Comment

Been following that same info (and a bit more) and I've deduced no later than mid February.
      |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

Assuming that the net code architecture is good enough in the test. I'd say LateWinter/Spring at earliest. Beyond that its going to be a bare bones release anyways.

I'm eager.

Price, no word of any gameplay mechanics? I'm particularly concerned about how prevalent sniper rifles were (and how easy to use). I did hear they were able to completely revamp the 'scavange' mechanics and inventory system.

Comment

I have heard nothing in regards to gameplay mechanics especially pertaining to weapons other than the "durability" of guns now. I don't think there actually has been anything done other than that, as Rocket mentioned as the standalone release will incorporate the MAJOR features first (netcode, UI, optimization, ergonomics, infection and diseases, etc.) and then work on the little stuff.
          |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

Latest DayZ Standalone Update

I'd have to disagree in regard to limiting the availability if sniper rifles. I think that the gut feeling that you could be in someone's sites at any moment is part of the DayZ milieu of constant edginess.

I do think the scavenging system sounds fun... Perhaps it will be more like "search under bed" than noticing objects in a random loot pile.

Comment

I think the idea of looking under beds sounds fun and opening up dressers and such would be a nice touch since most things are just magic piles of cans...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Originally posted by Th4n4t05 View Post
                I'd have to disagree in regard to limiting the availability if sniper rifles. I think that the gut feeling that you could be in someone's sites at any moment is part of the DayZ milieu of constant edginess.

I do think the scavenging system sounds fun... Perhaps it will be more like "search under bed" than noticing objects in a random loot pile.

Every beatnik and his mama had a gun that could reach out to 600m easy. Majority of them were .50 cals. I'd rather firefights be lengthy affairs or up close and brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                  Every beatnik and his mama had a gun that could reach out to 600m easy. Majority of them were .50 cals. I'd rather firefights be lengthy affairs or up close and brutal.
                  This, a gazillion times this, I've been saying it since a week after release.

Sniping in the Arma engine without environmental effects that ACE provides is shockingly easy with practice. Without fogging I can take a light 50 or AS50 out to near 1800m. Now DayZ has some view distance restrictions but nevertheless, once you factor in the very large distances, realistic foliage and terrain it is shockingly easy to hunt players with the 'one shot rifles'. Fun for the sniper, not good for gameplay.

Secondly you have people using them in CQB because of the one shot capability. Then you have the AS50 sound issue where it basically sounds like a suppressed weapon.

The single biggest improvement to this game would be to drastically reduce the availability of military grade sniper/marksman rifles. One of the big draws of this game is the tension of the human interaction element. Imagine if you had to close with your opponent more often to engage or interact. You could still engage at 400-600 metres but it would take considerable skill to make your shots. You man end up simply suppressing your target which would then mean you would actually have to make a decision, do I pursue/advance, what tactics/maneuver should I use.

Firefights would be more involved, last longer, require you to do more than simply take a knee, hold your breath for two seconds and then 'boom, one shot kill' at 500 yards.

All this would make the game more interesting, more dynamic, would increase interaction and the frequency of risk/reward scenarios. It would encourage teamwork as taking on a larger group would be very risky when you can't just sit on a hill out of range and kill them in 5 shots. You'd probably need to group up with other survivors to tackle a larger force, again there's that interaction imperative and inherent risk reward.

The only people restricting Sniper Rifles doesn't benefit is Lone Wolf, bush lurking, player hunters. It means that if they want to do their killing its going to take real aggression, skill and some actual tactical play. They won't be able to just log in, plink away from a bush, count to 30 and disconnect. I've never given any thought to catering to that type of player, however much fun it may be to do, my concern is the core gameplay, as that affects every player.

Comment

I guess the CZ550 should become the common man's rifle again...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Without on the fly range adjusting.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse