DayZ 2017 - First Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DayZ 2017 - First Impressions

It seems quite a few TG'ers have been poking their heads back into the DayZ Mod. This has mostly been due to the allowance of the DayZ community private servers and new maps and "mods" of the mod to explore.

I recently decided to check out the mod DayZ 2017. Like many, I was drawn to DayZ because of the "survival" theme and the addition of Zombies in an apocalyptic setting. Having gamed online for over 20 years, I can definitely say I have never been so drawn to a game as I was to DayZ. I found myself spending hours just exploring and enjoying the 1:1 ratio realism settings the game offered.

As I survived in the game, I soon discovered the joys of high-end military gear and and abundance of vehicle's and supplies, safely (for the most part) tucked away in our camps for resupply when we experienced unfortunate death as a buffet for Zombies or at the hands of a bandit player or hacker. With such gear, playing day or night was no issue, and survival boiled down to looking for non-TG'ers and ambushing them for more gear.

The whole idea behind 2017 is that we have survived for 5 years since the outbreak of the apocalypse. High-end gear and cans of soda and food are a thing of the past. The cities and villages have been picked clean and now only the occasional shotgun or bolt-action rifle can be found. Those who have survived have learned to adapt and improvise. Helicopters no longer fly overheard, although, a few industrious survivors have learned to construct "gyro-copters". Vehicles have been reinforced with any material available to provide additional protection. People have found it more important to group together for safety. The whole goal now is to survive. To live another day and find food, water, and shelter. (Due to the scarcity of foodbsurvivors have taken to cannibalism, killing fellow survivors and zombie alike to eat their flesh for survival!)

Below is a story version of my first day in DayZ 2017

Reinhold - DayZ 2017 Day 0

Walking along the coast, I made my way to Chernarus to see if I could scrounge some supplies. It was dusk, and with the zombies poor sight, moving through a large city was much safer after dark. There were many more zombies roaming about the city outskirts than I had experienced in earlier years. It seemed as if the dead had risen and joined their ranks in this war of survival. In the past, the zombies had pretty much stayed around the population centers. It was as if some sort of "memory" kept them chained to a familiar place. But now, with the increasing numbers, the zombies have made their way into the surrounding forests and mountains. It was not uncommon now to stumble upon a zombie horde as you made your way from town to town.

Moving as slowly and quietly as I could, I made my way into the church. Nothing. Just empty cans and a few flares. I moved out and entered the old firehouse. In the past, this had been a sure place to find some decent gear, now only a few bandages, heatpacks, and empty cans lay scattered about. I continued moving through the zombie infested streets, pausing at times to allow a shambling zombie cross my path. After a good 30 minutes in the city, I came away with an extra canteen and a few flares. The flares had become very important now. It had been years since I had a pair of NVG's. Now I depended on the flares to light the night.

I began to move northward, hitting small villages and farms along the way out of Cherno. Perhaps Polana would have something for me. There was an old grocery store there that had provided decent supplies in the past. I didn't dare go to Stary Sobar or Zelenogrosk as Bandits had made those areas their home. Killing not only for supplies, but to eat the flesh of their victims. I had pledged never to resort to cannibalism. I would rather die then to eat another's flesh. I still had too much humanity in me for that.

As I made my way northeast, I was able to quench my thirst at old wells and a few ponds, but my hunger grew by the minute. Soon it became really dark and I stumbled through woods looking for anything I could eat. I had lost the old bolt-action rifle I used for years, and recently I broke my axe. I had nothing but a box of matches, canteens, and some flares. If I did not find something soon, I was going to starve to death.

It was now so dark, I had to light one of my flares and carry it to see where I was going. Following some powerlines, I heard the distinct sound of flies swarming. I had come to know this sound as an indication of death. I moved in the direction of the sound and soon I found the source. A fellow survivor lay face down in the grass. He appeared to have died from starvation. I took no time in searching him for supples. His makeshift pack was larger than mine so that was the first item I stripped from him. He had an empty canteen, which now brought my total to 3. He also had a Winchester laying under his body! I rummaged through the pack, but found only a cylinder of .45 ammo. No shotgun shells! Nevertheless, I slung the Winchester over my shoulder. He also had a few chemlights which I stuck into my new pack and then extinguished my flare and activated one of the chemlights. The light was softer, and with no flame, it was easier to carry and use as a light source. I moved again along the powerlines and soon I again heard the sounds of swarming flies! Finding another survivor, I began to rummage through his body and I located a hunting knife! I tucked it away in my belt and continued my search when the hair stood up on my neck! It was as if something told me to look over my shoulder. As I did, I could see the glow of a chemlight a ways behind my position along the powerlines. I watched for a moment and could clearly see it was moving in my direction. I extinguished my own chemlight, and I dashed up the hillside into the forest. I could still see the other glow as it moved a bit more, then it also went dark. I lay perfectly still, listening for movement around me. It was now pitch black dark. I knew it was dangerous to just lay there, so I turned to my left in the darkness, then rose to my feet and just started running!

After bumping into a few tress, and making way to a road I recognized as the trail to Pusta, I risked exposure and ran along the road where I could see a bit better out of the trees. I stopped a few times and lay along the roadside looking behind me, but I could not see or hear anyone follwing me. I had lost my stalker. I eased into Pusta and rummaged through an old barn where I found an axe! Now I could kill an animal for food! Excited at my find, I made way way into one of the old two story houses in the town and to my joy located a handful of shotgun shells! Fortune was certainly smiling on me now!

Leaving Pusta, I followed the trail northeast that ran to the main road between Mogilevka and Topolka Dam. There I stopped for some water, and refilled all canteens at a small pond. Having satisfied my thirst only made my hunger that much more intense! My mission now was to find game! I had all the tools to eat, just not the source of food I needed! I again struck out northeast through the forest, using a chemlight to light my way. As I moved quickly scanning for any signs of game, I heard a low moan to my left. I immediately looked over my shoulder, and just at the edge of my light I saw a zombie shambling along away from my direction of travel! Thank God the zombies had poor sight! And even worse at night! I knew I had to slow down so the noise I was making would not attract the zombie. As I continued to move along, I heard more moans and cries. I had stumbled on a roving hoard!! I again was forced to extingush my chemlight and move cautiously through the forest. There must of been 15 to 20 zombies around me! They all seemed to be moving northwest, so I maintained my northeast trek until I was clear of the horde. I then lit another chemlight and continued on.

Soon I approached the outskits of Shakovka. The sky began to show signs of light to the east, and I no longer needed the chemlight to light my way. My hunger was now consuming me! I took another drink from my canteen hoping it would fool my body into thinking it was getting the fuel it needed. It didnt work. I felt sick and weak. The landscape around me seemed to blend in monochrome colors. I was now running madly through open feilds, heading towards the east in an attempt to find game! I was no longer sure what direction I was going. The sun began to cast its rays, but through my haze of vision, I could only concentrate on one thing. FOOD! I ran into a a few lone zombies who chased me for a bit, but I soon lost them in the forest. My brain began to tell me "Kill them! You can do it! Eat their flesh!" NO! I would not! Nevermind the putrid disease they carried, I could just not bring myself to eat human flesh! I continued to run until I hit wide open fields. In the distance I saw the old gas station which sat alone along the road between Gorka and Polana. I stopped for a moment and stared at the Zombies shambling around the pumps. Should I? NO! I turned towards Polana and began to run through the field. In the distance I could see another zombie....wait....not a zombie... A COW! A ****ing Cow! I pulled my Winchester from my shoulder and ran straight to the unsuspecting bovine! As I neared to a few feet from the cow, who was now munching on the grass, I raised the rifle and pulled the trigger hitting it along its side. The cow bolted and ran but a second shot to its head took it down. I quickly dropped down to my knees next to the cow and used my hunting knive to carve out several sections of meat I could cook and eat. Looking about to see if I had been discovered, I picked up my rife and ran to a small copse of trees. There I cut some wood and started a fire. Soon I was tearing into the cooked meat like a zombie eating its victim. I lay back in the grass and the color began to fill in the morning sky. My hunger satisfied, I broke camp and made my way into Polana.

The scavange trip in Polana was a success. I found an even larger makeshift pack in the old grocery store as well as 2 old tents and some more shotgun shells. I also found an old Makarov pistol and a few magazines of ammo for it. I took my new loot and made my way north to the Pobeda dam area. On a high hillside overlooking the dam, I set my tents up and surveyed my new home. I had clear visibility for hundreds of meters around and a few scattered trees along the top of the hills provided camouflage for my campsite. It was not perfect, but it gave me a sense of home. With a full belly, I lay under the low hanging limbs of a tree and drifted off to sleep.

************************************************** *************************************

Re: DayZ 2017 - First Impressions

nice... were you on a low populated server or is death and rarety of humans just so big a deal?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I am playing on the server hosted by the creator of the Mod. The most people I have seen at one time is about 8 to 10. There are 2017 servers with much higher pop's but those servers have taken the mod and changed the loot tables, spawn rates, and vehicle's to make it more like regular DayZ. They just like 2017 for the new skins and graphics as it gives a "Road Warrior" feel to the game (just my opinion).

It kind of defeats the purpose of the mod, so I decided to stick to a server where the original intent of the creator is maintained.

I can tell you, in that description above, I felt that "anxious" feeling again like I did in old DayZ. That's what will keep me going back to it. PVP between players still exists, its just a little more brutal now with attacks coming from more close in weapons like axes and shotguns. The new AS50 is the Lee Enfield from what I understand.

Shinkicker's server is DayZ 2017 V1.1 - US Seattle - Shinkickers Digs (66.150.164.161:2302)
      Last edited by Reinhold; 01-28-2013, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I hope to join you in 2017 at one point. Can I call you 'Doc'?

Comment

"You can call me anything you'd like, just don't call me late to dinner!" - Grocho Marx :)

Comment

Nicely done Sir!

Comment

:) glad to know that you are on a good server...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Zhohar's first experience in DayZ 2017:

1. Spawn in.
                2. Run into Kamenka.
                3. Shambling hordes of filthy, undead abominations strewn all across the village.
                4. One of them comes close, and hits the Zhohar.
                5. Zhohar starts bleeding.
                6. Zhohar retreats to safety.
                7. Zhohar checks his gear and discovers a distinct and worrisome lack of bandages.
                6. Panic sets in.
                7. Adrenaline flushes through Zhohar's veins.
                8. The sasquatch frantically sprints through every building, in desperate search of bandages.
                9. With each footfall, a squirt of blood exits the Zhohar.
                10. With each second, death looms closer.
                11. The Zhohar searches all of Kamenka and finds it devoid of bandages.
                12. The cruel Gods laugh at the fate of Zhohar, taunt him with empty cans and bottles.
                10. Zhohar takes candid stock of this situation.
                11. Cue this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXGUNvIFTQw#t=9s
                12. Zhohar enters a savage rage, one befitting a cornered deer, or a bear whose cubs had been killed.
                13. Only a hatchet to aid his gruesome justice, the Zhohar sets back into Kamenka.
                14. Even before the first buildings, he cleaves the closest zed in twain.
                15. Resolutely, he makes toward the center of town, slicing, chopping, and hacking his way through the mass of the undead until the roads run red, and the grass is covered by their filthy corpses.
                16. The undead's dying screams only attract more of their kind.
                17. Surrounded, blood covered, and exhausted the Zhohar is overwhelmed by a horde of zombies from all directions.
                18. With his last breath, the Zhohar swings wide cutting five of the closest zombies down, and dies.
                18. The sun gently sets on the horizon.

Comment

Do Zeds still have stuff on them?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawks_Lead View Post
                    Do Zeds still have stuff on them?
                    They do. One of the guys killed one then found a bandage on him. Pretty much the common stuff you find at all the spawn points.

Played last night with Thanatos, Besieged, and Zhohar. It was a blast! Zhohar was killed in the firehouse in Elektro so Than, Siege, and myself moved in and set a perimeter. We watched as another survivor entered the building and waited for them to fight it out, but it turned out they were together so we patiently waited until they decided it was safe to come out and Than killed one with a few well placed hits from his Lee Enfield. Siege thought the other one made a run out the back, so I entered the firehouse with just a hatchet and located Zhohars body. I recovered a bit of his gear including his Lee Enfield and I began to move up the stairs to check the upper levels. As I did, I was hit by the second guy with an axe! He had run back into the firehouse and now I was unconscious on the stairs. When I regained consciousness, I ran down to the lower floor again, but was losing blood at a quick rate and my screen was shaking violently. As I called out to Than and Siege for help my attacker ran down the stairs and hacked me to death. As I died I heard the gun shots ring out as Siege entered the firehouse and avenged me.

As I said in the above post, PVP is brutal in this version. Its more up close and personal.

Zhohar later attacked an unknown survivor but was instead killed by the survivor who had a winchester. After the battle, the survivor began to type in side channel wanting to know why Zhohar shot at him. He added he would not have attacked him otherwise. I have played on the server enough to know this is true in some cases. I have had both positive and negative encounters with unknown survivors. You just never know..... and thats what makes it awesome!

Come join us!

Comment

My first encounter with a survivor ended with a draw in Electro, and if anyone knows what a true draw in dayZ means, we both died... I shot him with an enfield point blank and he shot me twice with a winchester while I had low blood. Thankfully, this leads me to a blessing because I was able to loot him and my dead body. So, I got 2 enfields and a bunch of survival gear... It was great... Hospitals thankfully still have plenty of goodies 'cause Zho had to blood bag me and Reinhold

Comment

Wow, sounds like some good fun. It might be good to wean me off the crutch of Mil-grade supplies and weapons. I'll try and hop in with you guys this weekend.
                        sigpic

Comment

If, at least, this influences a mode of the Standalone I'll be very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Reinhold View Post
                            They do. One of the guys killed one then found a bandage on him. Pretty much the common stuff you find at all the spawn points.

Played last night with Thanatos, Besieged, and Zhohar. It was a blast! Zhohar was killed in the firehouse in Elektro so Than, Siege, and myself moved in and set a perimeter. We watched as another survivor entered the building and waited for them to fight it out, but it turned out they were together so we patiently waited until they decided it was safe to come out and Than killed one with a few well placed hits from his Lee Enfield. Siege thought the other one made a run out the back, so I entered the firehouse with just a hatchet and located Zhohars body. I recovered a bit of his gear including his Lee Enfield and I began to move up the stairs to check the upper levels. As I did, I was hit by the second guy with an axe! He had run back into the firehouse and now I was unconscious on the stairs. When I regained consciousness, I ran down to the lower floor again, but was losing blood at a quick rate and my screen was shaking violently. As I called out to Than and Siege for help my attacker ran down the stairs and hacked me to death. As I died I heard the gun shots ring out as Siege entered the firehouse and avenged me.

As I said in the above post, PVP is brutal in this version. Its more up close and personal.

Zhohar later attacked an unknown survivor but was instead killed by the survivor who had a winchester. After the battle, the survivor began to type in side channel wanting to know why Zhohar shot at him. He added he would not have attacked him otherwise. I have played on the server enough to know this is true in some cases. I have had both positive and negative encounters with unknown survivors. You just never know..... and thats what makes it awesome!

Come join us!
                            From Siege's perspective:

I loved being able to look down from the hill overlooking the power facility's fire station. Waiting patiently, watching from between two bushes, as zombies waddled by. After a minute of waiting, I remember two survivors come out and walk behind the fire station. I had trouble knowing the exact location of where friendlies were, but they were somewhere below and to the right of me, as I could hear Reinhold using a hatchet to quietly manage the nearby zombie population. I then radiod on comms that I have spotted two enemies and that I would shoot. I aim dead center on the one with a rifle and fire. I believe I hit him. Both scurry out of view. One ran around the corner to the right and one ran left and was blocked by the trees. I watch and then pull back some so I don't get spotted, as one had an enfield. At this point, zombies have not given chase to me, but shortly there after, I hear Than open fire on the survivor that I believe had the rifle. At this point, the hatchet man was hiding inside the tower... After watching for activity, we entered the compound to set up and then collect supplies from the bodies. Following this, I begin to hunt for the other survivor with the hatchet, so I started running behind the power plant, but suddenly hear Reinhold over comms requesting immediate aid in the fire station. I rushed to the doors as Reinhold is being mauled to death. I then shot the survivor. I followed up with a second shot to confirm the kill. After securing the compound and acquiring the important loot, Than and I decided to run for the hills and meet with Reinhold and Zho at Cherno.

Comment

I'm alive around Balota all kitted out. Going to make the trek to better pastures up north tonight... don't like sleeping with the moaners. Have some medical kits if interested...

Uhm I've found two tents and when ever I have them placed they vanish at some point later... one vanished during a good two hour trek away... How do the tents work?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X