Why have night time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why have night time?

I was just wondering the reasons for it, as it seems noone is ever online when it is night time anyway, and it detracts people that want to play when it is night time from playing. If your from Europe you pretty much have to wait until late afternoon til you can enter the server, unless you're one of the lucky ones that has NVG goggles, or dont mind playing in a grey mess with gamma turned up.

"If you're going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

Re: Why have night time?

Simo, play with your regular settings, leave the gamma alone and use chemlights and flares. If nobody's on it should be fairly safe bandit wise but my god it's spooky lol. Seriously, pack a spare pair of pants and go into a built up area with your torch and some chem lights or flares to drop as markers. It's worth it just for the atmosphere lol.

Comment

I'll give it a go with my gamma turned down, my main point is though that it seems that whenever its night time, noone is ever online.

Comment

We don't want to run a day-light only server because, as Wicks said, darkness + zombies + unknown = creeptacular. That being said, we also want people to be able to play in the daytime.

The trick is, DayZ/ArmA operates based on real-world time and date. The sun rises and sets according to real-world tables for when this would happen at this time of year; the moon is full once a month; summer days are longer than winter days; constellations do the right thing (whatever that is), etc. So what we're left with [at this time of year] is a ~12hr window of daylight; and we've done our best to spread that daylight around: both Euro and US players get some daylight in their prime-time (after supper) hours. It's not perfect, but it's the best we can do :)

note: we have been investigating methods of accelerating the passage of time, but thus far haven't found any stable way to do this. This could give us more random sunrise/sunset times and allow for more variety; but we're always going to have night time :)

Comment

Ok, thanks for clearing that up :)

Like I say, I dont dislike having night time, I just find there is never anyone online when it is night time.

Comment

I'd put that down to a shortage of sturdy enough trousers lol. I've played quite a bit at night and its a very different game with no nvg's (shudders). Recommend it to anyone who wants to test their 'bottle meter'!

Comment

I'm on at the moment trying to find a vehicle (needle in a haystack) and it is quite a bit more scary when you can hear a zombie but cant see it!

Comment

I LOVE playing in the dark, and I am actually on quite a bit during those times. I have just been too busy to play at all over the last week.

So watch your back.... that sound in the dark may not be a Zombie! >:)

Comment

Hell, I usually play at night; not necessarily by choice but it does change the game completely!
                  |TG-6th|Belhade
                  "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

I just like playing period, night, daytime, early morning, and sunsets. What really gets funny is when you light up a chemlight and there is Wicks with his blanket, teddy bear and pacifier.

Comment

Originally posted by SARGE View Post
                      I just like playing period, night, daytime, early morning, and sunsets. What really gets funny is when you light up a chemlight and there is Wicks with his blanket, teddy bear and pacifier.
                      Sarge you forgot diaper, bottle of scotch and wheelbarrow full if guns! I get jumpy.

Comment

I have yet to play Day Z.One of these days or nights maybe.......

Comment

Now all of this sounds interesting...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Why have night time?

It really would be a different scenario with the night options being played as one. I too would like to see this through.

@DayZ Admins
                            You may be able to do so by using beta patch versions as opposed to current.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Originally posted by LowSpeedHighDrag View Post
                              It really would be a different scenario with the night options being played as one. I too would like to see this through.

@DayZ Admins
                              You may be able to do so by using beta patch versions as opposed to current.

Nope.

The gamma exploit is still usable in the beta.
                              There is currently no way to stop the gamma exploit in-game.
                              That is why most servers went to daytime only because pvp with some using gamma exploit is simply unplayable as a pvp game.
                              its fine if you doing just coop though.

Ref.
                              http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...-these-changes

All the beta patch did was stop the ability to set gamma to more than 2.0 in the .cfg file.
                              Pointless as more than 1.0 is basically exploiting the gamma to see at night.

I think a scripted (while do if gamma setting > 1.0 then kick via BEC) is an option though I haven't tried it yet.
                              Worth thinking about though.
                              The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X