Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did Base Building become blocking off part of an entire city?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did Base Building become blocking off part of an entire city?

I frequently go looting/farming in Sabina Construction site. Went there to find that its been completely blocked off by double crates? How is this allowed? This is a knee jerk reaction in response to me shooting down Ghost just after logging on. Being shot at is part of the fun and dynamics of the game, if your going to close off your favourite part of the map once someone upsets you you're on the wrong game. I got killed for no reason by Dredge in Sabina, I didn't whack a few crates down and claim part of Sabina as my own.

When did base building become completely and totally blocking out a part of a city. Its not a base. And when is this sort of thing restricted? Am I therefore allowed to close off the whole of Sabina and claim it as my 'base'?
    Last edited by Simo_The_Mav; 05-24-2013, 07:39 PM.

"If you're going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

Re: When did Base Building become blocking off part of an entire city?

I think you've hit a thread that should be discussed.

The many benefits to base building; that being the increased longevity of the title by
    securing the means to base ownership and protection which in turn allows the perservence
    of territorial domain.

The upside is, however, the downside. By no means can any group actually claim they
    own twelve cities yet the group that builds in those twelve cities first owns them into
    perpetuity. Even if by chance the base is broken into in some daring raid and all defenders
    are slaughtered; ownership is not transferred and nor can it be transferred.

Perhaps that is not a problem, the fact that a base can't be taken by a hostile force,
    but what can be a problem is the ever expanding creation of 'outposts', bases which are
    not the main base of a group, until ultimately every section of the map is claimed and
    unable to be contested.

To be absolutely clear I am saying that base building is good and that the security offered
    by them is great. What is potentially troubling is that whole sections of the map can be blocked
    off in the name of 'ownership' but it not actually being directly owned.

I should not be able to block off and 'own' Solibor if I am never there for several days and am
    instead at my region on the Large Island.

Comment

The easy 10min farming system is to blame its far to easy to farm your stuff and build as much as you want.
      a long long timer on loot is an answer.
      say 12hr or 24hr timer on loot.

change player_spawnCheck.sqf :-

if ((_age > 10) and (!_cleared) and !_inVehicle) then {
      (2 times)

to :-

if ((_age > 1440) and (!_cleared) and !_inVehicle) then {

where 10 = 10 minutes and 1440 = 24hrs

Using this line in the init and copy/altering the file in a folder in the root :-
      player_spawnCheck = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "FOLDER\player_spawnCheck.sqf";

This system also has the added benefit of making players move around the map collecting supplies rather than sitting in one spot farming it every ten mins.
      The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

I have no idea what’s going on, I’m on rarely now a days as work keeps me busy, I don’t think it’s a result of you killing me but someone or a group deciding to take it for themselves and not let anyone else use it. It reminds me of another location that was blocked off and left it open for anyone to use when a member of that group was not there. That’s fine, but to close it off completely is wrong it would be like someone taking the Ekaterinburg farming area and blocking it off just so they have unfettered access to it and farming in safety (I know bad example.) The problem I see is that tank traps are so hard to get in any good amounts from any other industrial locations that two high spawning locations are gold to be harvested and that one person or group blocking it off for their sole use is well ungamer like conduct. It’s almost like blocking off the bridge between the two islands so that no one can move between the two without flying or going over water so that person or group and move between the two and have the small one to themselves.

Comment

It takes longer than ten minutes, or there are additional considerations besides just time.

24 hours would see players starving to death if the population rises too high, as all available loot piles will be spawned in short order.

Comment

First off Simo, dont go blaming people you arent sure are responsible. Ghost had nothing to do with the construction you're talking about. Neither did Dredge. I know who did and I also happen to know that the people who built it have been gathering the materials to do so for WEEKS now. Its not some overnight job, so dont go blaming farming either. Subsequent to that, maybe you guys havent been to the small island but there is another group who has a giant chunk of a city blocked off over there and has for several MONTHS now, since the very beginning of basebuilding.

Part of playing the game, especially on our server is deciding how you're going to play and who you're going to play with. There are several large groups who have the manpower to mass-produce bases. There are smaller groups and several individuals who have made it very clear that they play nice, so they receive support from the larger groups to build what would take significantly longer on their own. If you CHOOSE to alienate yourself from others and fly solo, you get what comes with it. Sorry if that particular construction site in sabina was a favorite spot of yours. There are others in sabina. There are other parts of the map. Just because you liked that one means zero. We had this same discussion about the Martin camp and the conclusion from that was basically "tough beans. farm elsewhere."

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
              There are other parts of the map. Just because you liked that one means zero. We had this same discussion about the Martin camp and the conclusion from that was basically "tough beans. farm elsewhere."
              I think the point of contention is that until there is a way to make bases contestable
              were are on borrowed time. There is nothing wrong with securing a loot place but the
              fact that we have no method of taking it from those who secured it... well that can be
              problematic.

And yes base building is a very time intensive prospect. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                I think the point of contention is that until there is a way to make bases contestable
                were are on borrowed time. There is nothing wrong with securing a loot place but the
                fact that we have no method of taking it from those who secured it... well that can be
                problematic.

And yes base building is a very time intensive prospect. . .
                I think YT brings up the main point here, that the loot spots that are now "secured" can not be totally taken over by another group. If this was possible, it would create a cool tactical dynamic of militarily securing farming spots. But as of now, it is not that way.

On the other side, Ferris also makes sense. Being friendly with the big groups comes with the benefits of the 10+ people manpower in that group. They can farm, build, and militarily strike with 10x the force of a loner. Being a loner will make it more difficult indeed, but with deciding to be a loner with big groups around, its what is expected.

Personally, I think that the idea of BASE-BUILDING where there is a FARMING spot is not entirely right. If its not your base, than why build there? yes, to secure it, I understand, but to restrict it to choke out (not the motive, but a side effect) loners, creates a bad environment for them. In my mind, the big group is securing more power with the power they have already.

Simo, if you want to get back at them as it sounds, hit them where it hurts, steal there supplies, it will make all their farming securing be in vain.
                (for the record, I do not endorse this behavior)
                |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Building around a looting spot in my opinion, and I imagine I'm not the only one, is an exploit of the game. But if we're gonna play that way, I'll begin building crates around your base and I'll claim the rest of Taviana as my base. Same thing as what your doing with the construction site, just on a grander scale.

"If you're going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Let's take a step back and not exaggerate or dramatize the situation.

Those who built that industrial stronghold are fair citizens and reasonable folk. They have Capitalized on a source of goods for commerce purposes. They have made it known to friendly individuals and groups that they are open to trade, and, if needed, philanthropic aid. This type of commerce has been seen throughout history, and certainly would happen in a post-apocalyptic world.

How is building a barrier with legal supplies, on a common building, an exploit of the game?

They aren't camping on the beach shooting fresh spawns. They haven't found glitched buildings to gain an advantage. That isn't the only industrial building on the (large) map, so there are plenty of opportunities for others to obtain the same materials elsewhere. That attached double-industrial building produces a higher volume of goods, and a lot of junk, but unlike Martin, nothing there is exclusive to that location. There are other areas where industrial buildings are near warehouses and produce similar volumes of loot. It just takes teamwork to farm them simultaneously. So really individuals are complaining about their inconvenience, not their right or necessity. North Korea would love to have the resources and trade of South Korea, but they're not friendly and thus the barrier at the 38th parallel exists.

We found other areas to gather our goods, and are always open to friendly trade as well.

:icon_frow
                    |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                    sigpic

Comment

Just to clarify Martin doesn't spawn exclusive loot, never has.

Let's get real here. Loot spawns all over the place and where Zippy is right is that people are complaining about inconvenience, not just here in this thread but in a lot of places about all sorts of things.

If there is a gate then I don't have an issue with anyone doing anything like this, just satchel the gate.

Way too much complaining going on. "I got shot, that's unfair", "Someone blocked off 100m sq in 220km sq (or whatever) map, that's unfair", "he's playing under another name, that's unfair".

Someone does something, problem solve and counter it. Someone takes ground, make your move, advance and secure some territory yourself. If you operate alone and don't have the numbers to tackle things head on, be smart, pick off individuals and take their assets. If you want things sometimes you have to take them. Maybe you have to relocate, rethink, whatever.

This is a Post Apocalyptic scenario, not animal crossing. Has anyone read 'On the Road', its not a story about a father and son pushing a shopping cart down a road in a post apocalyptic world, meeting nice people and finding cool stuff before sitting down to tea and cake. Mad Max wasn't about a post apocalypse motoring club that meets once a month for beer and burgers and to show off their cars.

I hope resources do get scarce on some levels so that people have to travel, explore the map, take risks, actually play the game, meet people, shoot people, choose not to shoot people, make mistakes, get shot, have an adrenaline rush.

A lot of this is people complaining that someone turned off the 'loot tap' next to them, good, it will do us all good to have to walk a bit to get our water now and again.

Remember it's the end of the world, suck it up, ruck up and roll out, or curl up in a ball with your beans and give up.

Comment

But what method are we going to have to allow for change of hand?

What would prevent myself from blocking off Martin with double highs (completely/ i.e. no gates) and moving off to the small island for a month?
                        What happens when 'all' locations are claimed? Can 'all' locations be claimed by a 6 man group? Or is it just because they built there.

Also why is everything frankly a complaint? I believe I put forward a questionable outcome that should be addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by mat552 View Post
                          It takes longer than ten minutes, or there are additional considerations besides just time.

24 hours would see players starving to death if the population rises too high, as all available loot piles will be spawned in short order.

The calc done in the script is 10mins if its longer, then something else came into play. Or maybe yours has been altered to be a random time of 10-20mins but even so thats way to often.

The edit I mentioned works and was tested.

With food spawning in Residential , supermarket , military , Industrial sites and the amount of animals that spawn I cant really see the food becoming a problem.
                          Unless like me you reduce food to only one spawn area type (supermarket) and then lower its chance by a factor of 10.
                          But if you did that would add something new to think about survival wouldn't it :)
                          Having to search around for tins of food or hunt for animals to keep your group alive.

But hey its just a suggestion on how to combat the farming and excessive base building that goes on because of farming.
                          The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                            But what method are we going to have to allow for change of hand?

What would prevent myself from blocking off Martin with double highs (completely/ i.e. no gates) and moving off to the small island for a month?
                            What happens when 'all' locations are claimed? Can 'all' locations be claimed by a 6 man group? Or is it just because they built there.

Also why is everything frankly a complaint? I believe I put forward a questionable outcome that should be addressed.
                            Everything isn't a complaint, that doesn't mean there isn't an awful lot of complaining going on. Blocking stuff of with indestructible containers has already been addressed in a previous thread by the Game Officer, therefore if this location doesn't have gates then it's dubious and would need the Admin Teams attention. If it has gates, blow them.

As regards 'change of hand', I am not sure anyone has said that there has to be, certainly not the person making our version of it nor any Admins that I've seen. To be frank you're putting your own personal spin on it as are others, seeing that as right and then suggesting there is a problem when the reality doesn't conform to that ideal. Is there excessive base building?? What is excessive, seriously? Do people want restrictions enforced on others because their method of playing a sandbox game about survival doesn't conform to another person's individual ideas.

Ytman, whilst taking some arguments to a logical extreme can test their ability to hold water, I wonder why you address every problem from the lowest common denominator perspective. If you wish to try and block off an area and then simply leave it blocked for the sake of inconveniencing other players, in effect to frustrate them, well I would say that's trolling.

Comment

Bl1p, your desired experience seems rather openly hostile to even the attempt at success. Is there any room for living survivors in your vision of the wasteland?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X