To DayZ or not to DayZ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To DayZ or not to DayZ

I'm curious if anyone has been actively using the Epoch DayZ server in the last few months. It appears that the usage is almost nill.

Is there any interest in a different stock DayZ setup? Don't go asking for mods and such, the level of effort to get those things working together is pretty unreal.

And here's an even crazier question... what if we hosted a mod other than DayZ?

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Re: To DayZ or not to DayZ

well, what are the other popular mods and what if we had one where people actually did something other than horde vehicles and such? I mean, couldn't we go to the life of fighting the zombies and killing each other near the coast as we barely last a couple hours...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I haven't played the Epoch server for a couple of months except for a couple of hours the other day. We had only a few regular peeps joining on most nights but that died out. Now it seems the Wasteland mod that is a server side mod has been getting all the attention the past year or so. The past 2 months I jumped on and tried it out with some members of the 12th and 70th IHS's and enjoyed the times running around with a mix of pvp and gathering supplies. With the Zombie factor out of the picture it is a different game. I was able to run lone wolf with the mission of gathering supplies (Weapons and Vehicles) for fast gearing up when the others would show up. Once someone showed up and the teamwork was started to meet and gear up, a new level of gameplay started.

Maybe the Wasteland mod and it's different way of doing this game of Arma2Combined Arms would catch on here. I have had fun with it, but with some of the best teamplayes TG has to offer.

p.s. Wasteland requires only A2OA Combined arms for the player or client side to connect. No Beta or other mods needed. Everything else is server side.

Comment

I've been doing a bit of research on the Wasteland mod. Apparently there's even a few variants of it. Su-Matra seems like one of the more polished variants.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

A jungle wet land environment I presume?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Problem 1: Our version of DayZ is pretty well out of date, as is our version of Epoch.

Nardini and I spent all weekend playing on another current Epoch server and it's a whole new ballgame. TL;DR at the end, but read it out for features and such.

-The basebuilding mechanic allows you to actually build bases now. Serious bases. Concrete/wood walls. Floors, ceilings, stairways, multi-floor structures. GARAGE DOORS AND BUILDING DOORS WITH LOCKS. You can either build an entire base from scratch in the middle of nowhere or find a structure you like and secure the entrances. If you build inside a tall structure that only has one native floor, you can build multiple floors of your own. It's pretty freaking sweet.

-There are wasteland-style missions that pop up around the map. Crashed helos, medical camps, etc. All protected initially by AI bandits that you kill. Once you wipe them out (and some of them are seriously hard), you get to collect the bounty inside the structures that the map places. Similar to wasteland's missions, the structures stick around until server restart. From what I've seen, the missions use the whole map and dont spawn in the same places all the time.

-The traders are much improved and not as glitchy as they used to be. Good example of the improvements: drive up to a trader to sell a vehicle, talk to the trader, select the vehicle type, and the one you want to sell is automatically highlighted in the list. It also tells you how much it costs to buy AND sell any given item to a trader without having to go do different buy/sell screens to do it.

-They added in fishing, for what its worth. Cheap and easy way of getting food. Also, you can find loot "documents" (actually looks like a file folder sitting on the ground). When you inspect them, you have a chance of getting a rare item or gold.

Thats just the short list of improvements. We seriously need to upgrade our server to this, its definitely worth playing.

The server we were on also added in some other custom mods, like a bridge to Skalisty island (so you dont have to boat/swim/fly out there anymore) and there is an AI base there that you can take down for decent weapons. They also added in lots of placed buildings (like a full base setup on Balota airfield) and new enterable buildings in some of the cities. Also, self bloodbag mod, which greatly increases your chance of infection, but you can heal yourself a bit if you're all alone, which is kinda cool for people wanting to play bandit.

In looking back, I think one of the reasons we all stopped playing is because a.) the mod was a bit broken and needed some love and b.) because we chose to make our settings more "hardcore" and thus, it became a grind. want to drive across the map and go take on some sweet pvp action? hope you have a bunch of jerry cans because you cant gas up at a gas station. loot? yeah, thats pretty rare stuff, so you're gonna be kinda broke unless you're around during server restart and are quick to find the high value vehicles to sell. oh, you want to be a lone-wolf bandit and stir up some chaos? well, good luck finding ammo for your weapons, and if you do manage that feat, then prepare to die repeatedly from infection before you can realistically engage people because almost every zombie swipe nails you.

it. was. a. grind. and it got old pretty quick. I think the reason a lot of people like wasteland so much is because you can jump in and with a few minutes worth of work (maybe an hour at most), you can have decent vehicles, decent kit, and be rolling out to take on some targets or missions. It gives you something to do besides checking 20 grocery stores for food before you starve. we can have that with epoch if we decide we want to loosen up the hardcore motif a bit on our server. make loot more prevalent, turn refueling at gas stations back on, keep vehicle spawns moderate (we dont have to have 600 vehicles on the map at all times, but enough that it's not a ginormous challenge to get one).

That kind of a mix in epoch means bandits can bandit. pvpers can pvp. basebuilders can basebuild. hell, you can go buy a boat and spend all your time fishing if you want. it would give us flexibility to include more people. if you WANT to play hardcore, feel free to play hardcore on your own terms by scavenging jerry cans to fuel vehicles instead of using gas stations. go find a generator and a fuel truck and power the truck to dispense fuel that way. only scavenge weapons from bodies. whatever you want to do to make your own life harder. but we tried the hard route with the server and it lasted a couple weeks at most. without hard-mode on, the taviana server we had going lasted months until the whole explosives fiasco made people mad, but thats old news.

oh, and you dont always spawn on the beach in the new version of DayZ either. In my thousand or so deaths this weekend, i've spawned on the beach in 3 places, in Bor, in Elektro, in Stary, in Lopatino, at Pobeda Dam, and in Grishino. It's a pretty cool mechanic (unlike wasteland though, you cant pick).

TL;DR: I'd say we update our server to the new version, scale back the hard stuff a bit and give it a go to attract some people to play. Lots of new features that make it an awesome cross between wasteland and DayZ now.

Comment

If I get a chance I will hop on with you and give it a whirl. Sounds promising Ferris

p.s. Ferris, I like to commend you for a well written post. Your points were well thought out.
              Last edited by SARGE; 10-22-2013, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Another cool element I forgot to mention about the basebuilding: your structures begin to decay and weaken after a period of time, but unlike other basebuilding mechanics we've seen in the past, this doesnt result in your base just disappearing. Wooden basebuilding structures can be repaired with wood and concrete structures can be repaired with cinderblocks and mortar. If you dont take care of your buildings periodically (i believe the default timer is 6 days), they'll eventually decay and fall apart (and in the process be much weaker and more vulnerable to damage).

Also, base structures cannot be run over by vehicles. Even the wooden variety. But they can be destroyed with sufficient amounts of gunfire and/or explosives. Havent yet tested what those thresholds are, but if we got our server updated, I'd be more than willing to run some experiments....

Oh, and thank you for the compliment Sarge!

Comment

As a follow on, is there any chance we could at least update the verisons of dayz and epoch currently on the server so that it's playable while we decide on what course of action we're going to take? I know at least a few of us would be on there pretty regularly.

Comment

Some things are in the works... we'll see what pans out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                      As a follow on, is there any chance we could at least update the verisons of dayz and epoch currently on the server so that it's playable while we decide on what course of action we're going to take? I know at least a few of us would be on there pretty regularly.
                      +1

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

I understand all the complaints about DayZ in general, but I haven't played in quite a while.. kinda lost interest before you guys started up on Epoch, when base building was just a mod that was almost impossible to get working.

The latest Epoch does sound very interesting, I'm willing to get back into it if you guys go that direction.

On another note, Wasteland can be serious fun. Been playing some of Sa Matra's Arma 3 version, and while it has it's bugs and limitations, it gave me some of that fun back that I had in the early DayZ days.

Comment

Now that DayZ is gone from TG. Where do you guys play at? Any server names? I've checked out Epoch and it is indeed delicious.

TGU Instructor TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X