No announcement yet.

Current Activity on the TG DayZ server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Activity on the TG DayZ server?

I'd like to get a feel for the activity level on the DayZ server. Is anyone still actively playing on it?

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Re: Current Activity on the TG DayZ server?

I am nit stooped...

Thanks Google...

I stopped playing on our dead server...

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Well, looks like according to Game Tracker, no one has really been on the server for a month.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

It's not updated to the current Epoch version, so no reason anyone would want to play it really. I'd actually like to see our server go back to the public hive.

Comment

To be honest, I recall a distinct lack of population even when it was still the most up to date version.

I think that most players have moved on to other games or to other flavors of ArmA. Wasteland seems the most popular.

Comment

A few of us have been occasionally playing on some random pubby servers, but once people starting coming off of their BF4 high I bet we can get something going again.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

I pub raid to kill people or let my friend do so before heading home from campus...

Maybe we might want to consider polling for what maps we should be playing on.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

As the subject of shutting down the server has been broached. How about trying some things first.
                1.) Update to the most current version.

2.) Increase the spawn rate of items to sell. (So people can requip faster in the hopes that this can promote pvp)

3.) Edit the mision file to place new buildings on the map (to help with point

At this point the known servers with large populations are pretty much set. How are we going to differentiate ourselves from the masses? Personally, I don't know if we can do this without a dedicated group to actually play on the server every day.

Comment

This idea was discussed internally. The fact that there has been no significant urging from the community for this really speaks to me that there isn't enough combined interest to continue our own DayZ server. There is enough stable, well managed DayZ servers out there to satisfy the fix for those that want it. It's not really a good investment of time and energy (which DayZ requires a lot on the back end) on the part of TG to continue DayZ for the small population that is interested in being consistently active on it.

Comment

I'd like to cite a few things here that kinda annoy me about this whole thing:
                    1. The server is ridiculously out of date. The DayZ version we're (were, now that I see the server is gone) running on the server is 1.7.7.1, outdated by several months with some very key changes, such as not always spawning on the beach, which is HUGE in terms of gameplay.

2. The version of Epoch we were running is 1.0.1.5. The current version is 1.0.2.5. There have been SIX verions of Epoch to come out since we last updated. The amount of fixes, additions and updates in the changelogs for those six versions is nothing short of staggering. 100% brand new and fully customizable trader system that actually works. 100% brand new basebuilding system that actually works and allows you do build cool things like multi-story structures, locking dorrs/garage doors and such. Wasteland style missions that pop up around the map. Compatibility with more than 15 different maps and not just Chernarus. It's ridiculous how much better the mod has become in the last several months.

3. When the server was up-to-date, we tried playing it on "hardcore" mode. No refueling, harder zombies, etc. I have NEVER seen a successful server that draws any kind of outside population that plays with the kind of settings we had. Hell, many of us voiced the fact that the extreme time requirement just to go do something was the reason we stopped playing on our server.

Heres the big one, and this really gets in my craw:
                    This thread starts off by asking what the activity level is at present. Zero, of course because everything is so far out of date that its not even funny. I still play DayZ/Epoch on several servers. Many that have a steady population of 40+ every evening. Nothing super special about them except that they're current and dont make it a huge time-suck just to gas up a car and drive to the airfield for some fun. I can tell you as a fact that the process of rolling back my DayZ, ArmA2 AND Epoch verions just to play on our server, which lacks any of the modern fixes and additions, is not worth the hour or so it would take every time i wanted to log on.

But I digress. Let me point out the fact that in the same period of time that is being asked about with zero activity on the server, we saw nothing on the back end either. A MONTH AGO there was a conversation right here in this forum asking to update the server and/or try something else with it. A MONTH AGO we were told there were discussions going on. ZERO MOVEMENT happened. I've spoken with people who are DayZ admins (or were, as of now) and have been told by multiple sources that not a thing was said in the admin forums in regard to doing anything. So those of us who were still interested in playing (or still do) sat and waited. People bumped the thread periodically. We got no word. Now, in the last day, we've gone from asking about the activity on the server to no longer having one. If the people running the show on the backend didnt want to update things, could we have called for volunteers? Could we have at least TRIED updating the server to see if we could spark interest? Damonte, the reason that there was not significant voice from the population about updating is because YOU told us to wait. YOU DID. A MONTH AGO.

Originally posted by Damonte View Post
                    Some things are in the works... we'll see what pans out.
                    Those things in the works didnt happen, so it miffs me a bit to come in and ask about the activity level after we already had a discussion about updating the server, and then simply shutting it down while completely ignoring anything anyone in the community suggested. Sorry, but thats a load of hogwash about it taking up a lot of time. It's been a month. Am I to believe that in a month we couldnt have found the time to at least update it and give it a go? Because I bet that the sheer number of hours played in BF4 by the folks with backend access to the DayZ server would lead me to believe otherwise.

You know what, I'm just going to stop before I say something I really dont want to. If you'd like to discuss it further, I'll be on TS this weekend, when it isnt the middle of my workweek and I'm not just wrapping up a 36 hour shift, which didnt allow me to say anything in the one day that this went from "whats the activity level" to "goodbye, server."

Comment

I looked into options, nothing panned out. That was unfortunate. It's plain to me that there is little interest in DayZ. The most interest I've seen has been from active TGers is in Wasteland mod, which really doesn't have much to do with DayZ. Our request to host their mod was politely declined.

That being said, it's been decided to close down this particular chapter of TG for the time being. The Site Administration team is pretty busy with other parts of TG (BF4 and such) and there really aren't the resources to invest in bringing DayZ back to current for the handful of people who are interested. Again, there are plenty of well-managed servers out there with many different flavors of DayZ. If there is still enough interest for DayZ, it's not as if TGers can't find a server and go there in force. I've certainly seen that with those that are into the Wasteland mod of ArmA.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your as-always civil and polite discourse.

Comment

I did, I have, and I will come back to visit just to keep in touch. Thank you TG for many years of putting up with this ole' Retired Extremely Dangerous person.

Comment

Originally posted by SARGE View Post
                          I did, I have, and I will come back to visit just to keep in touch. Thank you TG for many years of putting up with this ole' Retired Extremely Dangerous person.
                          Wait, [MENTION=26738]SARGE[/MENTION] , are you leaving TG?

Comment

TG at the moment doesn't have a server that I can play the game or the version of the game I like to play. No fault to TG, for I have nothing but good to express about this Community and it's Staff and Members. Let's stick to the OP's intent of this thread and support the Admins decision to drop the server and keep our eyes and perceptions open to what is out there. I agree with Damonte for his stated purpose and yet Ferris has some good points also. For me I saw Dayz as the new and shiny thing to go with last year and that has now evolved into Wasteland.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                              FWIW; Even when the server was up-to-date it was DEAD. Heck, even most of the admins just played on another server. So I don't buy the "it's out of date" argument as valid at all. Maybe if you want to just "connect" and see it up and running, but in terms of actually PLAYING the game. It just doesn't hold water with me.

What many players don't understand is running DayZ is NOT as easy as clicking "setup.exe" and it's magically running. It's a major pain in the arse to get configured, and there are a lot of other dependencies outside of the game itself that make it operate. These all take a lot of time to get working properly and happy. So when you spend a week solid trying to get the server running only 2 days later to have people say "hey- we should try THIS instead", it gets pretty old quick.

At the end of the day; there are different flavors of the game that people want to try and in many cases the level of player commitment is far less than the amount of time required to set it up.
                              I understand your frustration with this Apophis and completely agree with what you are doing. It all boils down to that you can't please everyone. Also, the time and effort to keep this boat afloat is no easy task, my hat is and always will be tipped toward you and the Admin Staff. Not that you have to or should explain all the back room workings that you do, but you have to understand that many in the community don't have a clue or any idea of all the time and effort that you put in.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X