• Show
Clear All

• Dayz Standalone is Released

http://venturebeat.com/2013/12/16/da...live-on-steam/

Re: Dayz Standalone is Released

Nice!

Comment

Played for about an hour and it's interesting, I'll say that. Granted, I played entirely at night (remember the days of hardcoded day/night cycles? a-yep, those are back.)

Pros:
      -Inventory system is promising.
      -Lots of customization.
      -Its very survivalistic.

Cons:
      -Hungry/thirsty/tired sets in almost instantly and takes a massive amount of supplies to keep at bay. Needs adjusting.
      -Melee combad is iffy. I whacked a zombie 6 times with a crowbar to zero effect.
      -Hour in-game time, including 20 minutes at the NWAF and zero guns.

Overall, not bad for a day-one alpha release. Looking forward to seeing how things progress.

Comment

Downloading right now... I hope our camp is still there ;)

Comment

heh :D

I DL'd and got on last night for ~5 minutes before I had to hit the sack. Plays pretty smoothly, though the controls were all wonky. God how I hate setting up all my controls again :icon_lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
            Cons:
            -Hungry/thirsty/tired sets in almost instantly and takes a massive amount of supplies to keep at bay. Needs adjusting.
            Based on your portrait picture it looks like you are going in a little heavy so you have a little wiggle room to survive. :p

I will be following the thread since I am on the fence. Looking forward to reading more of everyone's observations.

Comment

I also figured I might be able to barter the giant gold cross for some beans. If not, I think its obvious that I could sell myself on the streets of Cherno to make one hell of a living.

Comment

Well I am going to try this as well. I hope the Alpha will be updated a lot more than other Alpha games.
                Questions about those who deserve it!
                "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

Day two experience: Night time, as usual. Flashlight battery dead. Found a new military base (there are a bunch of them, since DayZ SA uses the Chernarus+ map), found my first gun and a can opener. Opened a can of sardines and ate it (apparently you get four servings from a can of sardines). Not 3 seconds later "I feel hungry" shows up on the screen. Went to the roof of the multi-story building I was in (the buildings in DayZ seem very cool, by the way) and couldnt see anything outside, even with gamma at max. Promptly walked off the roof two paces later.

I think I'm going to wait until this weekend to play further, so I can actually see what I'm doing.

Comment

Has there been any information referring to if you get any bonuses for getting alpha before waiting for the game. In Planetside, you got decals and in some other MMOs you get some beta guns.
                    Questions about those who deserve it!
                    "Remember, no survivors" -Myself and probably what explains my methods the most

Comment

I very seriously doubt there will be any bonuses. This release isnt in the more modern sense of early releases where they say it's a "beta test" but really just mean "soft launch". This REALLY is an alpha release. Things genuinely dont work. You can hit a zombie a thousand times with a crowbar and they take no damage, but punch it twice and down it goes. Every 15 or 20 seconds you hear a partial zombie scream while you're running. You cant tell your status other than through vague on-screen messages. They want people to legitimately report bugs and give meaningful feedback, because the game is only *mostly* playable right now. There arent even any vehicles.

In other words, this isnt just an early release, it really is an alpha test.

Also, considering DayZ is a survival game where you literally have to find EVERYTHING, from food to clothes to weapons, it wouldnt make much sense to have any kind of giveaways. You'd probably lose them in your first hour of playing. You know, when you die. If that doesnt make a lot of sense to you, I'd highly recommend picking up ArmA2 and installing the DayZ modand playing it a bit, you'll quickly understand why giveaways/perks/bonuses simply dont make sense.

Comment

It does take awhile for it to load, and when mine first opens the Bis logo for me looks fuzzy then it clears up. It's an alpha, no content per se as yet. I guess they just wanted to see how it would launch on a mass scale of clients. Anyway hello Apophis good morning to you.

Comment

Originally posted by SARGE View Post
                          It does take awhile for it to load, and when mine first opens the Bis logo for me looks fuzzy then it clears up. It's an alpha, no content per se as yet. I guess they just wanted to see how it would launch on a mass scale of clients. Anyway hello Apophis good morning to you.
                          Same :)

Comment

I'll also be following this thread. Eventhough I absolutely LOVED dayz(i'm a simulation nut), it got old really, really fast. Before I knew it me and my crew had everything we needed plus so much more. We were even giving a lot of our "rare" stuff away to TG'ers at the end because we had so many. So it would be nice if they made the game even more realistic and harder to survive so you don't run out of things to do. From what Ferris said, it looks promising.

Comment

It also seems to be a combo of A2 and A3 but mostly A3. I first get the A2 little square boxes upon first opening then the fuzzy Bis logo then the Dayz logo and wala an A3 civilian opening page. The controls and movements are like A3 and will feel a little clunky at first. But all in all it is it's own game now with items borrowed from A3. Being on Steam it will auto update and will keep everyone on the same page as it develops. I like the way it keeps you close to the same server upon start up and you do have an option to change servers if you choose to do so.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X