Initial Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Thoughts

I am going to precursor this by saying that I understand that it is an Alpha and what is to be expected, normally.

With that here are some personal observations:

The Good:
    • I do like the crafting system for loading magazine, cargo, opening cans etc. It adds a great feature.
    • The Zombies are ascetically cool looking
    • There is more varying loot and seems to be more challenging
    • The need to more frequently eat and drink is more realistic
    • I love the taunt!!! Nothing like giving someone the bird.
    • The handcuff, disinfectant, blood bags, etc are all cool features

The Bad:
    • The game runs on the old ArmA engine, yes with minor code updates from ArmA 3. You can see the massive difference is a lot of the things.
    • The graphics blow. I should also not have to go into my control panel every time I start to do some funky reset.
    • Alt F4 is allowed. Countless times watching people I am stalking tab out of game as I am shooting them. One guy even tabbed out, then came right back in as I passed him then he shot me from behind. They need to institute a exit/entry delay of some sort.
    • The servers are not all synced to the DB. I have lost several characters I spent plenty of time on just because I connected or was booted from a server. I know all the tricks with backing out and it only works sometimes.
    • The one thing that had to be addressed from the MOD version was zombies that ghosted through the walls. Not only did they not fix it, is actually way worse from what I am seeing. They go through solid structures, walls, doors, stairs, etc. I will say they really aren’t a threat anyway, just a nuisance at this point anyway.
    • The retarded “my stomach is growling” and “I feel like a drink” messages spamming me every couple seconds. Give me a health bar or nothing at all, just stop the messages popping up.
    • Ladders are still a death trap.
    • What the hell is the difference between a badly damaged orange and a pristine rotten one? I see where they are going with items being in varying shape, but beyond a vanity thing (or in this case getting sick) no difference exists with items at this point.

They are missing so much. There is just so many features incomplete that even the “meta game” is not there for me. They are basically sticking this out so the community identifies all the bugs and they can fix over time, which is great, but again they charged everyone for a very incomplete game. They should have simply made this into a MOD for ArmA again and not cashed in on everyone’s loyalty to what it used to be or release like most other companies as a true Alpha that is free and charge for the final version. Bohemia Interactive has launched a another product that is incomplete and has charged for it, basically to raise money to pay for the future development IMO. This game has surpassed 12 million in revenue for it (400k users x $30 each) as of a week ago. By paying up front like this, they already have our money and beyond fan loyalty have no incentive to make this perfect.

I like DayZ as much as anyone else, but this is a steaming pile of turd at this point. I already uninstalled and now have been soured from the horrible release at this point.
    "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Re: Initial Thoughts

Did you miss all the warnings about it being an ALPHA release and that the game isn't done? There even is a message on the steam store telling people not to buy the game. Just hold on until it's actually done.
    |TG-6th|Spaz

"You the people have the power, the power to create machines, the power to create happiness. You the people have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure."

Comment

Originally posted by Spaz View Post
      Did you miss all the warnings about it being an ALPHA release and that the game isn't done? There even is a message on the steam store telling people not to buy the game. Just hold on until it's actually done.
      There is also a warning on coffee cups that states "the contents may be hot and burn", but we still drink it! :row__523:

I fully understand that and hence why I accept that I probably can't play the game for another year or so, which I will. They (BI) should not have categorized this as a Alpha, rather a fund raising event to pay for what they should have already developed.
      "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I don't really see how you can be surprised by the lack of content and bugs. You payed for early access for an unfinished game. What should they have categorized it as then? And what different would it make if they called it anything else then what it is, an unfinished game.

Your complaining about a half built road being bumpy.
        |TG-6th|Spaz

"You the people have the power, the power to create machines, the power to create happiness. You the people have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure."

Comment

Its not paying for an unfinished game. It's paying for one that isn't as workable as the "free version" we were playing but I did it anyway to keep from paying $60 later. (Even if I end up waiting a year to actually play) I've loaded in a couple of times. Found a good shirt and leather shoes, a knife and a damaged hammer but the constant need for food and water doesn't leave time for anything else.
          Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

The only issue I really want them to deal with is the alt F4. I think people should be forced to stay with one server and have a 15 min time penalty to change, if their server goes down and is unavailable then there should be no penalty for changing servers. Everything else I can deal with.

A good leader requires both character and strategy. If he is to be without one, let it be strategy. - General Rick Hilliar, Former Canadian Chief of Defence

Comment

I’m not surprised by Dayz short comings as it is sold as an early Alpha however Arma 3 now sold as a finished release is totally lacking every way imaginable. After Arma 2 that is a surprise.

Comment

Well, I love it. Money well spent. I actually enjoy running around the map and just soaking in the atmosphere of the game. The graphics are some of the most beautiful I have seen in any game to this point, and the map is amazing. I am more than happy to wait for the finished product now that I can actually run around the game as they perfect it. :D

Comment

Will always be the black sheep of the Arma family and fade quicker than Take on Helicopters, Take on Mars, Carrier Command and Arma 3, which is barely hanging on. BIS lost their way and the core of their supporters, very sad to watch.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X