No announcement yet.

My DayZ config that gets me great performance

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My DayZ config that gets me great performance

This past week I ran into some issues where I was constantly experiencing a 'Signature Check' timeout routinely on any server I'd join which ultimately ended up in my forced disconnection from the server. I went through several fruitless steps to resolve the issue and ended up rebuilding my custom launch options, and today thanks to a tip from [MENTION=30401]LowSpeedHighDrag[/MENTION] I've got great performance, so I thought I'd share.

Note: I discuss windows directories below but I run Windows7 Ultimate x64. This being the case I have two Program Files directories (Program Files, and Program Files (x86)). If you are running a 32 bit version of Windows you will only have a single 'Program Files' directory.

First, the signature check issue..

I have no idea what caused this to pop up and in all honesty what I did to attempt to fix it (re-install steam and the game) may not have had any genuine effect on the issue, but one thing that has definitely made a difference is how I launch the game.

Every time I launch the game from Steam I have issues. Whether I launch the game from the Steam Library 'Play' button, or use the shortcut created at install that sits on my desktop (which references Steam: 'steam://rungameid/221100') I have issues. Sometimes the game will launch and sometimes it won't, but when it does its usually with issues.

My solution is to launch the game from the game executable itself (for which I created a shortcut and put it on my desktop). For my installation the game executable is located in this directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\. Launching from the installed executable still invokes steam, but I haven't ran into problem one doing it this way, and this is how I overcame the signature issue after the Steam+Game re-install.

To create a shortcut for the actual game executable, locate DayZ in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\, right click on it and select 'Create Shortcut.' This will create a shortcut and place it in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\ folder, simply select the shortcut and drag it to your desktop.

Second, game optimization..

This tip came from [MENTION=30401]LowSpeedHighDrag[/MENTION] and it made a big difference for me. Run the game in 'WinXP' mode. This can be done with custom launch options that I'll get to below but I forced it via the executable itself.

Here's how I did it:
    1. Find your game executable within 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ'
    2. Right click and select 'Properties'
    3. Click on the 'Combatibility' tab.
    4. Check the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' box and select 'Windows XP (Service Pack 3) from the drop down.
    5. Enjoy

This does a few things but the important one is it forces use of DX9 which delivered a vast improvement to performance on my system.

If you want to specify winxp compatibility with custom launch options instead of doing the above include '-winxp' in your custom launch options.

Third, custom launch options..

The custom launch options interface can be found using the following method:
    1. Open Steam and click on 'Library' near the top of your Steam browser window. After clicking on 'Library' you may have to select 'Games.'
    2. Locate DayZ in your library on the left side of your Steam Browser window and right click on it, then select 'Properties.'
    3. When the DayZ Properties window opens the General tab will be selected by default, locate the 'Set Launch Options' button and click on it.
    4. You will be presented with an additional window that will be titled 'Launch Options - DayZ,' with a message that says 'These options are for advanced users only,' and a text field where you can enter your custom launch options.

Here's what I use and why:
    -nosplash -noPause -cpuCount=8 -maxMem=24576 -exThreads=7 -window

-nosplash .. This removes the splash screen when launching the game.
    -nopause .. This forces the game to continue rendering information to the window when it's not focused (when you alt+tab to another window).
    -cpuCount=8 .. This allows me to specify the quantity of cores available to the game. I have an 8 core processor so that's what I use, modify for your system.
    -maxMem=24576 .. This allows me to specify the maximum amount of memory available to the game. I my case I have 24gb, so 24576 is what i use here. To calculate your maxMem use the following forumla: Number of Gb of ram x 1024.
    -exThreads=7 .. This allows me to specify the number of threads available to the game. My particular processer has 8 threads but I only specify 7, so that my operating system has a thread of its own to run on. IF YOU SPECIFY THREADS, ENSURE YOU USE YOUR MAXIMUM THREAD COUNT MINUS 1!
    -window.. I do this because I use a dual monitor setup and I like being able to move my mouse to the other monitor and adjust the map ( I usually have up.

** For calculating available threads **
    1. Click your start button.
    2. Right click on 'Computer' and select 'properties', or find your 'My Computer' icon and right click on it and select 'Properties'
    3. Identify your processor in the 'Processor' field under the 'System' section.
    4. Use the following website to identify your processor, then scroll down to the section that specifies your number of threads: CPU-World: Microprocessor news, benchmarks, information and pictures

If for some reason after making these changes your custom launch options within Steam doesn't take effect, if you've created a new shortcut as discussed above, append the launch options to the shortcut itself.

Here's how:
    1. Right click the shortcut and select 'Properties'
    2. Within the 'target' text field append your custom launch options to the end, remember to include a space (" ") after the last double quotation mark.

Example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\DayZ.exe" -nosplash -noPause -cpuCount=8 -maxMem=24576 -exThreads=7 -window

Here is a great article that can help guide you through some of the things I explained above in addition to some other tips for FPS boosts:

DayZ Standalone Performance Guide, Better FPS, Less Lag | Dayz Intel - DayZ Intel

I know there are other flags or arguments that can be used but this is what works for me.
    Last edited by ogmogul; 11-29-2014, 12:21 PM.
    That's not blood, its soul juice.

Re: My DayZ config that gets me great performance

I was worried that I would be the unicorn however [MENTION=113950]Figgy[/MENTION] has confirmed this made a drastic increase to his performance. Glad to see it works, give it a try guys!
    That's not blood, its soul juice.

Re: My DayZ config that gets me great performance

Thanks for the mention [MENTION=36903]ogmogul[/MENTION].
      My PC is really a dinosaur now. Intel Core 2 Duo @3Ghz, and ATI 4850 (512MB), 4GB RAM. But with the the option of running on Dx9. HUGE difference.
      Same goes for ArmAIII.

TGU Instructor Irregulars TG Pathfinder

Former TGU Dean Former ARMA Admin Former Irregulars Officer
      "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - Dag Hammarskjold

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed