Evading AA missiles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evading AA missiles?

What is the best way to avoid air to air missiles? Every time I get one locked on to me I cant seem to shake them off.

Re: Evading AA missiles?

Put the missile on your 3 or 9, get fast, climb a little. The idea is to make the missile work as hard as possible on its way to you. When the missile gets close, pull into a HARD verticle loop (an orthagonal roll) perpendicular to the missile's axis, dump chaff and flares, and think "oh **** oh **** oh ****" until you've either evaded it or been struck by it.

That's what to do it one is on its way. The best way to avoid them is to kill the shooter before he gets to you or to evade his detection. :D

Comment

Does the Pirouhette(sp?) maneuver help with evading missiles?

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
        Does the Pirouhette(sp?) maneuver help with evading missiles?
        Do you mean when you go verticle and rotate around that axis to change your direction? No I think that would be suicidal. Evading an missile is a two step process: make it use up as much energy on its way to you - it has limited fuel and coasts most of its flight unless you're very close - then when it's near, pull as many g's as you can perpendicular to the missile's flight axis to force the missile to do the same. Hopefully by then you've made it burn up enough energy that it simply can't change direction fast enough.

So you need to have plenty of speed to evade a missile and you need to make it work (change direction) on its way to you. Don't jink around like crazy, just put it on your beam.

Contrariwise, there are two other effective methods that involve using your noggin more than the jet. If you know that you've had a passive missile fired at you and that the bogie must keep a radar lock on you for the missile's entire flight, simply beam him and break the lock. If you know that you're on the edge of the missile's effective range, simply turn away from the missile and climb while adding speed and it should just drop out of the sky when it runs out of steam.

Comment

Ok good to know, thanks leejo!

- -

Comment

Sure thing. I now predict that I will be shot down by the next 10 AA missiles that are fired at me.

Comment

Leejo put it spot on, but that really is just scratching the surface. I'm no expert so I recommend this article I just finished reading which covers the topic much more in depth:

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/s...ad.php?t=91864

Also, this guide is really helpful to know which counter measures will work best against any given missile or AAA.

Download Falcon4_threat_quickguide from Freebirds

edit:
              Don't forget hit the "7" key to see the missile view of your aircraft as it is inbound!
              New to TG?

Comment

I guess I need to get more familiar with the controls because I don't know how to jam the lock. I have been doing instant action for now because I am learning but they are firing 3-5 missiles at a time and I cant seem to avoid them. I still don't know how to read the radar right so ill just have to keep on practicing, the only way I can find the enemy is hit 5 then they show up as a red dot if they are in front of me.

Comment

look at your RWR. It will show you the direction of the threat.

Comment

Bump for you guys wanting to know which missiles do what, check the link in my post above. It's a MUST have!
                    New to TG?

Comment

If you catch the missile shortly after launch, you can move into beaming position and perform a few aileron rolls , this usually breaks lock. It also seems to be effective at preventing MED-LONG bvr shots all together. Do be aware that it will put you on the defensive, but if you catch it early it allows alot of "wiggle room" for you to get past the bandit and helps preserve chaff/flare stores. Combining this with "blinking" your radar makes it even more effective, but can be alot to manage. In the case of short and "MadDog" shots, all I can say is BOHICA ....
                      (Bend Over Here It Comes Again)

Comment

Do missiles have corner speed?

;)
                        Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement