Friend or Foe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend or Foe?

I was reading that IFF isn't implemented yet, so i'm curious how do you tell? I think the standard radar lock requires you to be within a small distance to see the type of jet and whether it's Friend or Foe.

Can somebody give me some insight please?

- -

Re: Friend or Foe?

I usually ask AWACS to declare whether friendly or hostile. Hit "Q" then "2".
    Give me strength to save a life...

Comment

I thought when you went into STT mode, double hit on the keypad 0, that it would identify friend or foe...if it knows?
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50
        I thought when you went into STT mode, double hit on the keypad 0, that it would identify friend or foe...if it knows?
        If the radar lock is solid the STT lock will let you what kind of bird it is. But, the enemy then knows you have him locked up and can take defensive maneuvers. Also, it's generally bad practice to lock up a team mate. Just hit the lock (numpad 0) once and declare. Just takes a second, but I suppose if you're in a furball it's a little quicker to double tap it.
        New to TG?

Comment

Awacs > Declare is what i use. I just bug them and declare to find out.

- -

Comment

IFF is not implemented in the real Viper (anymore?). You obtain your information from AWACS only. I'm referring to the PDF manual here, didn't find it in the hurry, but I'm sure it's written :)

Greetings
            Dennis

Comment

You'll usually get a buddy spike if you lock up a friendly, i've noticed that sometimes you don't too. If awacs is down the rules of engagement state you must make visual contact to declare if it's a friend or foe.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
                You'll usually get a buddy spike if you lock up a friendly, i've noticed that sometimes you don't too. If awacs is down the rules of engagement state you must make visual contact to declare if it's a friend or foe.
                If I did that I'd have plenty of time to wonder why I didn't bring binoculars with me as I take the silk ride home.

I need to verify this on my own too, but if you have a target either locked OR in padlock and then hit the "5" key, does it show you the plane in the lower middle window? I think that view is called "View Ext FOV"?

EDIT:
                Well, I just went and tried the 5 key and it works, but it still only gives you the view from your aircraft. So, even using L to zoom in you have to be pretty darn close to visually ID something.
                Last edited by USN_Squid; 08-19-2005, 01:01 PM.
                New to TG?

Comment

Hit the 0 key after that to get orbit view. That might work.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
                    Hit the 0 key after that to get orbit view. That might work.
                    I couldn't get that to work either. Jex do you know of a better way to Vis.ID enemy?
                    Last edited by USN_Squid; 08-19-2005, 05:03 PM.
                    New to TG?

Comment

I always use AWAC's - ALWAYS ;)

Remember that if your IFF get's damaged, AWACs cannot identify you (or other damaged aircraft), and you'll get a bogey call (unknown). If this is the case, you must visually id the AC before engaging.

I also use the RWR and the Mark I Eyeball - i.e. padlock (4 key). Padlock will snap to targets from about 8nm's. A red square indicates enemy, blue friendly - for air units. For ground units padlock is a lot closer, and most of the time you cannot tell if they are enemy or not without an AWACs call.
                      Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X