Me VS Mig's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me VS Mig's

I did some dogfighting against a mig29 last night and basically figured out that, The f-16 is no match for this jet 1 on 1. It's very quick. If you can get a BVR shot off, he'll most likely get one off on you too. In the event he doesn't he can outrun missiles. I also noticed his agility makes it very to hard to target him. One of the biggest battles in A-A is manipulating the radar. Yours and your opponents. Getting under the opponents radar range is very effective at high altitude. He won't see you on radar unless he points his nose down or adjusts his antenna. At range of 10 nm he's gonna be hard pressed to do that by the time your behind him. Visual range is another key aspect. Going under the mig is effective if he didn't see me start this maneuver. Once you are in dogfight range of a mig29 your in for the fight of your life. My ending score was 8-4 Mig wins.

I then decided to step it down and took on a mig 21. 21's are no slouch either. They are pretty quick but not quite as agile as the mig 29. These planes get dusted in BVR range most of the time. The are able to hide pretty well though, they use override mode quite a bit to get out of sight and sneak up on you. They are not great turn fighters but they can make you work for your position. I think most of the pilots in mig 21's use their visual more than anything. I noticed he was flying around me but i couldn't see him on radar to much. very stealth jets imo. my score with him was 5-4 mig wins.

Air maneuvers seem to be the most difficult thing to do atm. You really gotta execute the maneuver on numbers the first time then you can see how to tweak it. things like pulling up 90 turn 45 and pull 90 more and twist at the end. The sky just swirls around you lol.

- -

Re: Me VS Mig's

Remember that your radar will announce your presence on any enemy with a RWR. You should also bear in mind that some planes turn better at low altitudes and some at higher altitudes.
    Jex.

Comment

After reviewing some more of the A-A section in the manual and the Missile type in the tactical reference i'm getting a grasp of what to use and when. Good fun learning it all.

I've also started more indepth into A-G as well.

- -

Comment

I was just talking to a real F-16 Driver at an airshow recently. We discussed at length fighting MIG-29s (By the way; the guy I was talking too stated that he has fought and won BVR and BMF engagements against MIG-29s at Red Flag and Fighter Weapons School at Nellis AFB)

I realize that most of this is all basic BFM but this is what he stated:

Be no faster than 500 knots into the merge (if you make it that far) and get under his nose slightly.

Make it a one circle fight NOT TWO CIRCLE!

Get no slower than 400 knots in the fight and try to stay horizontal. Not vertical. The reason is that the F-16 has a slightly better turn rate at the 400 - 500 knot range than the MIG-29.

Now at any speed slower than 400 knots the MIG-29s have a better turn rate than you do.

If the MIG-29 gets behind you; it is very very hard to shake em etc If they do; unload and extend to get away.

I realize that some of you disagree but this is what a REAL F-16 Driver said.

Comment

thanks flint, good stuff :)
          Jex.

Comment

That sounds about right, good stuff there.

- -

Comment

Good stuff , and if you think ur a real driver , get into a turning fight with one of these! PS: Anyone know the best way to keep speed up in one of these fights? Seems like the "16" bleeds speed off much quicker than the "29"...

Comment

My experience: go full burner, pull as many G's as possible but keep airspeed above 400 kts. Pull directly into the 29. If you're pulling him into your nose, press on. If he's extending around to your 6, which is more likely, split S and get the hell out of dodge.
                [volun]

Comment

One note: dogfighting a 29 is good fun, but is also an excellent way to meet Jesus. Don't let the 29's get close. BVR!
                  [volun]

Comment

See if you can pop em in the face BVR and get the hell out of there!

Same with SU-27's!!!!!!

Flint

Comment

You can also bug'em (but don't lock'em) in TWS, shoot, and they don't know they're targeted until the 120 slaps 'em in the face. Makes for a nice day....

RAIDMAX X1 ATX/450 Watts
                      AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4400+ Toledo Core
                      OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB)
                      ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
                      GIGABYTE Geforce 6800 GS
                      Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i w/Rudder

Comment

Originally posted by Doc197
                        Good stuff , and if you think ur a real driver , get into a turning fight with one of these! PS: Anyone know the best way to keep speed up in one of these fights? Seems like the "16" bleeds speed off much quicker than the "29"...
                        Back off the stick some. Pulling G's bleeds energy so ease off until you can bring the speed back. Then begin a forward/backward motion of the stick to keep it there.

Load up a training mission (basic flight) and do some turns and tryit out.
                        Jex.

Comment

"If the MIG-29 gets behind you; it is very very hard to shake em etc If they do; unload and extend to get away."

What do you mean when you say "unload"? I have heard this before but don't know exactly what it means.

Slammer

Comment

unload the stick - let go in other words so you fly straight.:)
                            Jex.

Comment

Oh I understand thanks jex!!

Slammer

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse