Staying in the station area and on time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying in the station area and on time

I recently started up a new campaign and I'm constantly failing missions because of "Did not remain in station area" and "Station time was not completed."

I follow all my waypoints and on most of them have the TOT carrot by the speed I'm on and only on some waypoints is the carrot way up there and the only way I can get up there is by going full burner. What do I do?

Also, with external drop tanks, do you guys normally jettison them when you're about to land or just land with them? Do you jettison them in combat?

Re: Staying in the station area and on time

Yeah, station time can be tricky. Here's what I do. First, before the mission be sure and make note of how long the station time is - it's usually 15 or 30 minutes. Also note the steerpoint times in the briefing - you may need to fly back and forth between two steerpoints during the station time (definitely for BARCAPS).

Now during flight, as you reach your first station waypoint, be sure and check in with AWACS to let them know you're in the area. Now begin patrolling back and forth between your station waypoints. Keep in mind your station time. When you're getting close to completing it, here's a little trick: reference the NEXT steerpoint after the station waypoints, but keep flying between the station waypoints (use the HSD to navigate rather than the steerpoint marker in the HUD). Look at the carat. It will be low in the tape, but as you complete your station time, it will begin sliding up. When it gets to the middle, your station time is up! Request relief from AWACS. If they ask for you to stay, fly station another minute or two then ask again. They'll eventually let you go. Be sure and check out. Now, reference the steerpoint marker and make your egress. You'll be pretty much on time.

I usually jettison my external fuel when one of the following happens:

- total fuel reaches 7200 pounds (this means the tanks are empty)
    - I somehow end up merged with 'dangerous' bandits (especially Mig-29's)
    - just before making an A-G attack run
    - just before calling inbound for landing

There's no point in landing with the external tanks still attached - it just makes you heavier and slower. I get rid of 'em. I'm not sure whether that's realistic or not, but there's no penalty for it in the game.

Hope this helps!
    [volun]

Comment

That helped a lot, thanks.

Comment

I would hope it's not realistic to drop them before landing, the way the Gov't spends money, they probably cost $500,000 each, which is right up there with their $400,000 toilet seat covers they buy.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_PolishBoogieman
          Yeah, station time can be tricky. Here's what I do. First, before the mission be sure and make note of how long the station time is - it's usually 15 or 30 minutes. Also note the steerpoint times in the briefing - you may need to fly back and forth between two steerpoints during the station time (definitely for BARCAPS).

Now during flight, as you reach your first station waypoint, be sure and check in with AWACS to let them know you're in the area. Now begin patrolling back and forth between your station waypoints. Keep in mind your station time. When you're getting close to completing it, here's a little trick: reference the NEXT steerpoint after the station waypoints, but keep flying between the station waypoints (use the HSD to navigate rather than the steerpoint marker in the HUD). Look at the carat. It will be low in the tape, but as you complete your station time, it will begin sliding up. When it gets to the middle, your station time is up! Request relief from AWACS. If they ask for you to stay, fly station another minute or two then ask again. They'll eventually let you go. Be sure and check out. Now, reference the steerpoint marker and make your egress. You'll be pretty much on time.

Hope this helps!
          Quick question on this.. What happens if you engage an enemy and end up outside the 2 steerpoints your supposed to be flying in? Do you fail the mission?

Comment

Heh...good question. I have found that yes, sometimes if you depart widely from the steerpoints for too long, you will fail the mission. But I have left the steerpoints to pursue bandits, and still got a mission success. The reality is that you sometimes HAVE to leave the station area or you risk letting something slip past you. I haven't discovered the secret to 100% success, but in general it seems best to stay as close to the steerpoints as you can.
            [volun]

Comment

DUDE... I love you.. (not in a homosexual way) LOL . That worked like a charm. I followed exactly what you wrote up there. I shot down 4 mig 21's but my wingman got killed.. I landed, went to the briefing it said MISSION PARTIAL SUCCESS.. stayed in the station area but I think I got partial because my wingman died.

Thanks alot man. You dont understand how much that helped me.

Comment

Anytime, Stinger...join us sometime on the campaign server, it's great fun!
                [volun]

Comment

I definitely will,.. thanks for the invite.

Comment

Remember that BarCap is designed to cover a limited area of space for a finite length of time. Other barcap flights will also be (ahem SHOULD also be...) operating close by. If you go off station chasing aircraft, who's left covering the gap? If bombers slip through it's you who is responsible. The same goes for the time limit. If you leave early, there is no cover in that area. Even if you're winchester, just locking up aircraft can deter them so staying on station without weapons should really be done until you are relieved
                    Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by Radooh
                      I recently started up a new campaign and I'm constantly failing missions because of "Did not remain in station area" and "Station time was not completed."

I follow all my waypoints and on most of them have the TOT carrot by the speed I'm on and only on some waypoints is the carrot way up there and the only way I can get up there is by going full burner. What do I do?

Also, with external drop tanks, do you guys normally jettison them when you're about to land or just land with them? Do you jettison them in combat?

You can also change your station time by right clicking on both the steerpoints on the mission map. This will bring up the Steerpoint modification menu. At the bottom you can change the patrol time to whatever suits you.
                      As for the TOT CARROT, before you fly make note of station patrol time. When you get to the first patrol steerpoint click on the "TIME" button on the ICP (number 6). Now click on the up arrow of the steerpoint button.(left of RTN/SEQ switch). This will start the hack timer on the DED which is like a stopwatch and will keep you informed of how long you have been flying between your two steerpoints. If you want to stop the timer click on the bottom arrow of the same switch.Click again to clear timer. The trick is two arrive on time at your first patrol steerpoint, then just patrol between them for the duration of your patrol, ususally 20 mins.Don't worry about flying to your carrot during patrol. It dosn't matter if you leave for home late as long as you've completed station time. Let AWACS know when your arriving and leaving.
                      As for remaining in station area do not stray more than 30 Nm outbound from either steerpoint. Set your right hand MFD to 30 miles and if you lose a steerpoint off the screen youve gone too far. In the old Falcon it was 20 miles but with add-on patches they changed it to 30 miles so not sure exactly what it is in Allied Force so I must try it myself.
                      You can land with tanks just make sure their empty and don't exceed 150 kts

Hope this helps
                      Last edited by Ridler; 12-05-2005, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks!

So does letting AWACS know when I'm arriving and leaving mean that I check in and out?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Yup...check in and check out will do the trick.

Ridler, that's some good info there, I'll be sure and try that out!
                          [volun]

Comment

Whenever I ask for releif, my call out is "blah flight is bingo fuel, request relief"

I'm not bingo, I want to RTB. Awacs respond by saying can I hold on otherwise my area will be vulnerable, so I reply "wilco" and wait another 5 minutes. After which I do the same and then they tell me to RTB and they'll make do without the cover.

This happened twice now. I also went outside my patrol area by 28 miles and got a mission failure, even though I checked in, Req'd relief and checked out.
                            Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex
                              Whenever I ask for releif, my call out is "blah flight is bingo fuel, request relief"

I'm not bingo, I want to RTB. Awacs respond by saying can I hold on otherwise my area will be vulnerable, so I reply "wilco" and wait another 5 minutes. After which I do the same and then they tell me to RTB and they'll make do without the cover.

This happened twice now. I also went outside my patrol area by 28 miles and got a mission failure, even though I checked in, Req'd relief and checked out.

If AWACS want to keep you there radio back "UNABLE" & leave.Remember, you must finish station time first and then Request Relief. On my last BARCAP, AWACS told me the relief flight was not yet airbourne and to hold on but I called back UNABLE & left with no penalty.
                              Your patrol area should be 30nm outbound from either steerpoint. I get penalised at 31nm so could be a program bug in various BARCAPS if you're getting 28nm.
                              I actually got penalised 3 times for hanging around on the runway too long after landing when I was on the taxiway lol:row__584:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X