OCA Strike and AI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCA Strike and AI

I got a problem with OCA strikes... My AI dont attack if I don't fly the exact flight planned route.

Imagine this case, you're are at about 10miles before pre-IP and you see enemy aircraft heading towards you, you go take care of them. Now you're so off the route its faster to turn to IP than turning back to pre-IP. So you select the IP and head there. What happens in my case that, whenever I do this the AI does not select target on the OCA radio menu, and even if I tell them to resume mission, or weapons free multiple times they dont attack the runway.

The only way around it is to lock on buildings and tell them to attack them one by one, which I cannot do with the runway....

Few times that I did not need to deviate from the flight-plan they selected the targets at IP and made the bomb runs.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? If so is there a way around it?

I'¡ve searched the net for answers but couldnt find any..

P.S. I do arrive at IP within 10-20 secs of TOT, but whether I do ontime or not does not seem to effect anything

Re: OCA Strike and AI

Interesting. Never noticed this, but I did read that on OCA strikes, the AI doesn't select a target until the IP. So if the IP isn't reached, maybe they never pick a target. That's definitely something to keep in mind.
    [volun]

Comment

I've struggled with this one in the SP campaigns as well. I think it's probably the worst bug in the game.

You're right tolgab, when the AI have worked correctly it was because I flew the course to IP, selected target via OCA radio page and set them weapons free.....in that order. But it doesn't always work.
      New to TG?

Comment

Yeah we all get the same. It's a bug and an annoying one too. You could try going back one steerpoint and see if that helps - stupid I know but if it works...
        Jex.

Comment

On a somewhat related note, is there any way to direct my AI flight members to attack specific targets on an OCA mission? I know I can go into the OCA radio menu and designate what targets I am going to take but how do I tell the other members to take certain targets. I know I could lock up targets on radar and direct the AI to attack those targets but that is cumbersome and takes time. Is there a menu or something that I am missing? Or am I perhaps not using the OCA radio menu correctly?

Comment

The AI are supposed to assign their own targets depending on the priority you get in the briefing and weapons they carry. You can always pick targets with lock and tell them to attack that target instead.

Normally the idea behind is;

AI, as they overfly the IP (very important point this, see below for my understanding) they will choose upto 2 targets. Human pilots can choose their targets earlier then IP, dunno exactly when but they are highlighted when you can. The AI will try and pick targets that are not selected by other pilots already, depending on the weapon they carry and the priority list. Normally upto two pilots can decide to attack a runway.

Whatever target/s the AI picks, when you let them loose they will fly into the target from a direction where they can attack the their targets in one pass. Hence you should be able to see them attacking from different direction. (so says the LP's note on OCA)

Here is an example of how the OCA menu would look if all AI flew over IP and all went well. (lets say 1+2 are carrying durandals, and 3+4 mk's)

OCA

1 runway 36/18 (+1 +2)
            2 hangar (+3)(-1)
            3 radar (+4)(-2)
            4 tower (-3)
            5 hangar (-4)

the "+" "-" in front says whether they chose those targets as primary(+) or secondary(-). AI will try to hit both targets if they have enough ammo.

BUT, as far as I understand now, the AI will not pick a target unless they fly probabably within 1nm from the IP. I used to think if I overfly a SP(as the lead) they considered themselves overflown it. Now I realize if we are in a distant formation or that the formation has split due whatever reason, I have to regroup the flight in a tight formation and then fly over the IP to make sure they all declare targets, or at least I'd like to think so, this however still needs a lot more tryouts to confirm.

The problem was that I tended to be ahead of them for one reason or another, imagine a flight plan like the following.

......................................S
            ......................................|
            ........P-IP---------a---------IP

If I reach IP when they are still at point "a", and I turn into the Strike, they start their turn at "a" to keep up with me, which makes them fly too far from the IP and not declare targets. What I need to know is, within what distance are they supposed to be in order to consider themselves that they have reached the IP.

Conclusion, make sure you're nicely formed up before you fly over the IP. If you have had any engagements or got one of the wingies far, make sure they form up on you again. After you see all the wingies around you, then go for the IP. Which makes me wonder whether 10nm from the target is a bit tight to put the IP, but you can move it if you like to anyhow.

Comment

Good stuff tolgab, I'll give it a go when I get a minute. thanks :)
              Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X