Rudder Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudder Question

I recently got a CH Rudder setup and was wondering which way the plane is supposed to turn when, for instance, your right foot is forward and left is back - Right now Im turning right, but it feels like I should be turning left instead.

Re: Rudder Question

My suggestion is to do what you feel most comfortable. if you want to reverse them feel free, not like youare actually flying one of these things.

imo pushing right pedal should yaw the plane right.

Comment

In a real aircraft pushing the right rudder pedal causes the aircraft to yaw to the right. By itself it has a small effect on where the nose of the aircraft is pointed relative to the direction of flight. If held long enough the aircraft will turn in the direction of the rudder deflection. You can see this by watching the pitch ladder and the flight path vector in the HUD when you press on the rudder in level flight.

My personal opinion would be to have the rudder behave correctly. But I'm also a pilot so having the rudder commands reversed would throw me off.
      Pavehawk
      Any Time, Any Place

Comment

Thanks a lot for the response. Ill keep it as is then. Realism is what Im after.

Comment

In the F16, the fly-by-wire system uses inputs from the side stick to coordinate the control surfaces, including the rudder. You should fly flat footed and only use the rudder for taxiing.
          Doc Z

No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Rudder is not used in the F-16 while in flight!

Doc is correct: Rudder only used for taxi and for cross-wind landings in the real jet!

Comment

Originally posted by Flint
              Rudder is not used in the F-16 while in flight!

Doc is correct: Rudder only used for taxi and for cross-wind landings in the real jet!
              Ever? If my gun cross is a hair left of the target why not use a tiny bit of right rudder to push it to the right? I'm not risking a departure or deep stall unless airspeed is critically low.

I realize the FLCS could help the pilot maintain coordinated flight but saying that rudder isn't used in flight except for crosswind landings seems a little absolute. What are you basing this on? I don't have access to a -1 ops manual and I haven't read the entire hard bound or PDF game manuals that I have so you could be right. I'm just curious as to the source of your statement.

In a real aircraft the rudder is used for varying purposes based on the aircraft configuration. In high power, high angle of attack flight in a single engine propeller driven aircraft the rudder is used to offset the left turning tendencies. That's not a factor in a turbine aircraft like an F-16. It's also used to offset adverse yaw created from aileron deflection. This should apply to the F-16 on some level but I can easily accept the FLCS system handles this case. The other case is simply using it to point the nose where you need it without changing pitch or roll attitudes. This primarily comes into play for crosswind landings where the pilot is using the rudder to keep the longitudinal axis of the aircraft parallel to the center of the runway and using the ailerons to align the aircraft with the centerline. My gun cross example above fits into this last category. Another example would be flying at 90 degrees roll where the rudder can be used as an elevator to raise the nose back up towards the horizon.

I'm not asking to be negative or to cast doubt on Doc or Flint. I simply would like to know what they're basing their statements on. The statements themselves seem a little too absolute. Then again I may be missing something important.
              Pavehawk
              Any Time, Any Place

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...