Trouble with Training Mission 3: Max G Turn At Corner Speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Training Mission 3: Max G Turn At Corner Speed

Hi folks, I am really new to flight sim and Falcon 4.0 AF, and I am struggling a bit with the training missions, moving along rather slowly.

I'm following the fat (719) pages manual, and on page 27 it says that if my aircraft is above 330 knots I should be able to pull a 9 Gs with my Viper. However, even though I was at 15,000 feet with an airspeed of around 415, I can't reach max G. What's worse, as soon as I pull back on the joystick in a left roll to do max g turn at 15,000 feet, the airspeed drops rapidly, making it very difficult for me to complete the turn. Eventually, I have to ease the pull a bit to maintain the corner airspeed. I got the impression from the manual that we are supposed to maintain a fairly high G during the turn... is this correct? If so, what's the trick involved in keeping the jet in the corner airspeed bracket without sacrificing on the the turn rate and turn radius?

In the training mission we are told to roll the jet in 75 - 85 degrees. I notice that the ADI is equally divided with small markings, and I was able to find the banking angle between 70 - 80. But it is difficult to keep an eye on the ADI while making the turn. Is there a way to get this info to display on the HUD?

Thanks a lot for your help, and I really appreciate this special forum for newbies!

Re: Trouble with Training Mission 3: Max G Turn At Corner Speed

There is a bank angle indicator on the hud (bottom) but really, all you need to do is guestimate it. As for the turn itself, just before you perform the turn throttle all the way forward to AB. The F16 turns best between 330 and 450 knots.

As for loosing speed, you will do. Pulling a high G turn will give you the most DPS (degrees per second) but will also loose you a lot of speed. You cannot sustain this which is where the sustained turn comes in, which is turning at the optimum G for a set speed. This will be lower DPS though than you High G turn.

Essentially you should always pull a high G turn in the merge (making it a lead turn) and then work the angles (ie manouver on the bandit into a killing position)
    Jex.

Comment

Re: Trouble with Training Mission 3: Max G Turn At Corner Speed

Originally posted by atholas
      I'm following the fat (719) pages manual, and on page 27 it says that if my aircraft is above 330 knots I should be able to pull a 9 Gs with my Viper. However, even though I was at 15,000 feet with an airspeed of around 415, I can't reach max G. What's worse, as soon as I pull back on the joystick in a left roll to do max g turn at 15,000 feet, the airspeed drops rapidly, making it very difficult for me to complete the turn. Eventually, I have to ease the pull a bit to maintain the corner airspeed. I got the impression from the manual that we are supposed to maintain a fairly high G during the turn... is this correct? If so, what's the trick involved in keeping the jet in the corner airspeed bracket without sacrificing on the the turn rate and turn radius?
      Atholas,

The trick is not to pull 9G! What I mean by this is if you are at your corner speed (330-440 KTS) then you won't need to pull 9G to achieve the smallest trun radius and the fastest turn rate you will actually pull around 7.5G. What you need to do is get up to about the top of your corner speed (440KTS) go full afterburner turn at Max G. Now when you turn at max G you might hit 9G for a split second but your speed will decrease so fast you will go below corner speed (330KTS) very quickly. The way to stop this is lessen the G on the aircraft untill you see the speed stabailize to anywhere between 330-440 KTS and when you see the speed stabailize you should be able to sustain about 7.5G. This will give you a great advantage in aireal combat and if you ever merge with a Mig you need to make sure you are at or above corner speed or you are dead! (Reference figure 3-1 on page 28 of the manual :) )

Slammer

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X