Track IR?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track IR?

Hey guys, I am looking into getting a TrackIR setup. What is the difference between the standard and pro versions, other than the price? Is it worth paying the extra $30 for the Pro version or will the standard version work just fine?

Also, is the Vector expansion worth getting? I read the info on it at the NatrualPoint website but, I didn't really understand what it does that TrackIR doesn't do.

Anyway, I was hoping some of you guys that use Track IR might be able to help me out.

-Aces&Eights

Re: Track IR?

I got a trackIR last year and liked it but didn't really use it. Track IR forces you to hold your head unnaturally still through turns and I just couldn't get used to it.

Then I got vector expansion. It's amazing. I can't stress enough how natural it feels and how fun it is to fly with it. I can't imagine (now) attempting to dogfight without one. TrackIR with Vector Expansion is a completely different animal from regular trackIR in that instead of tracking a dot on your forehead to interpret where you're looking, you wear a hat with three dots that allows the software to place your head inside the cockpit. With trackIR if you lean your head to the left, your view will shift to the left. With vector expansion, your view continues to be straight ahead. Without vector expansion if you adjust your posture, shift in your seat, etc., your view will fly all over the place. With vector expansion this isn't an issue at all.

Basically, what trackIR tries to do vector expansion gets right.

If you're enjoying the flight sim stuff this is the first investment I'd make.

Comment

I agree 100% with Leejo on this. With the vector kit it works so much better, and you need the T/ir pro 3 for this to work so YES!! lol buy the pro.

In future sims you will be able to lean left, right, forward, backwards with this, allowing you to look around the cockpit struts rather than having to turn the plane - this is going to be great. I think BoB (Battle of Britain - IL2 lot) will feature this.
      Jex.

Comment

Dammit. Now I want one. Not that it matters - I'm broke - but where can you get the best price on a TrackIR rig?
        [volun]

Comment

Thanks guys. I just ordered up a Track IR pro with the vector expansion. I ordered it directly from Naturalpoint. I found the the TrackIR Pro slightly cheaper at other places but, i couldn't find the vector expansion. I must admit that I don't have a lot of patience when it comes to shopping, though so you could probably find it cheaper if you really dig.

I ordered 2 day shipping so I should have it by weeks end.

-Aces&Eights

Comment

Originally posted by TG_PolishBoogieman
            Dammit. Now I want one. Not that it matters - I'm broke - but where can you get the best price on a TrackIR rig?
            Looks like ebay is charging full retail. I got a $20 off coupon when I bought IL2 Pacific Fighters. You can get the older versions for less, but the 3pro version has a higher frame rate processor. That probably doesn't mean much in F4, but it does in LoMac and future games.
            New to TG?

Comment

Did you ever get vector expansion squid?

Congrats Aces! You'll love it.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                Did you ever get vector expansion squid?

Congrats Aces! You'll love it.
                Nope, it's still on the list!
                New to TG?

Comment

Just looked into this. I'm getting it oh my GOD I'm getting it.

But...how many of you would put this above getting rudder pedals?

I can't decide which I want (read:neeeeeeed) more...

Edit: Is it really worth it ?
                  Last edited by EinSof; 09-21-2005, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Honestly I don't use my rudder much at all unless I'm on the ground or I get hit and need it to correct my flight path. So for me, rudder pedals aren't too important. The rocker switch on my throttle suits the purpose.

Now TrackIR is pretty darn useful to me. The best use I've found so far is looking out ahead of the aircraft while turning. Let's say you're swinging the aircraft around to line up on a ground target. With TrackIR, you can tilt your head up a little as you make the turn and look out well ahead of your lift vector. You'll find the target well before your aircraft is pointed at it. Then you can just tilt your head up and down to pan between the target and your HUD. Definitely cool.

Sure, you can do the same thing using your mouse or hat switch in the 3D pit, but it's SO much more natural and easy with TrackIR.

Padlock is still more useful in most combat situations, at least for me.

I'd qualify it as a useful but non-essential tool that contributes more to the overall immersion in the sim than it does to your combat effectiveness.

It does work very well, exactly as advertised. The "cool factor" is 10/10. The software works great and is nicely designed. It's a sweet piece of gear, definitely.

If you decide to go for it, I'd go with the Pro version that allows the higher frame rates. The vector expansion kit won't do much for you in Falcon, but in other sims that support 6DOF (MS Flight Sim 2004), it's killer. You can skip the vector expansion and add it on later.

The best price I found is here: http://www.magnum-pc.com. $124.99 for the TrackIR Pro, $29.95 for the vector kit, or $149.99 for both in one bundle. I bought the bundle from these guys - fast shipping, no problems.

EDIT: I've never tried mine without the vector expansion, so I can't say if it makes that much difference in Falcon. However the general opinion is that it makes a huge difference - no new features, but it makes the TrackIR work much more smoothly and reliably. So it's probably good to get it right off instead of waiting.
                    [volun]

Comment

I read a few things, watched a few videos... whenever I decide to get it, I'm buying FS2004 just because of what you can do with the trackIR and that game. SO freaking cool.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X