a couple questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a couple questions

I'm thinking of getting this game, as i really love piloting and simulations. I was always into flight simulator.

1)Do i absolutely need a flight stick?
    2)Should i practice offline a bunch before going online with you guys?
    3)Any links and information you can provide on it?

- -

Re: a couple questions

I think im going to be picking this game up tonight after work. This is the joystick I have do you think it will be fine? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=541966 One last question do you think we could set up a training flight sometime during the week for some of us newcomers?

Chris

Comment

I can't imagine attempting this game without a joystick, if that's what you're asking Vulcan.

I suggest that anyone at least know how to land (even if you aren't successful all of the time) before attempting the online stuff, but Jex is a very good teacher and things go pretty fast. It is a LOT to learn so be prepared.

We could set up a training flight during the week but there don't seem to be any qualified instructor pilots besides Jex, who's in the UK so the time difference is a factor. Maybe we can scrounge up enough new pilots with a little knowledge of the game who can help out.

Comment

Hey guys,

You definatly need a joystick, I think. You don't have to have a fancy one though. Of course the more buttons it has the better but, just about any stick will work I think.

As far as going through training missions offline, it is not necessary really, but I found it helped me quite a bit. I had gone through the first few training missions before my first training flight with Jex and I found that I at least knew what the instruments were called. That being said Jex walks you through stuff step by step and is very patient so if you come in cold you should'nt have a problem. I agree with Leejo that landing practice is probably important as well.

According the Jex's sticky in the F4 anouncments forum he is available M-Th from 14:00 to 19:00 EST so it would be a little tricky to get an training flight if you work but, post a time that you'd like to train and see where it goes from there.

Also, Vulcan, I have gotten a lot of info on Falcon 4: AF from the guys over at SimHQ.com.

I am glad there are more guys interested, the more people we have the more fun this will be. Welcome.

-Aces&Eights

Comment

I purchased the game and came to found out that my joystick rudder is screwed up it always reads that I am going left. Try taking off like that. What joystick should I purchase? The most I want to spend is $60. Thanks for the help guys, I cant wait to fly with real people.

Comment

Turbo, if you can afford a little more than $60 you should look into the Saitek X-45. I haven't used this one myself, but alot of people swear by it. I think some of the guys here might have one, maybe they could tell you a little more about it.

Having a HOTAS setup really increases the immersion factor and all the extra buttons don't hurt either. I saw this at Best Buy for $78. Good luck with whatever you get and looking forward to flying with you.
            Give me strength to save a life...

Comment

Well I might just have to splurge a little. Ill check it out Monday at best buy.

Comment

When i get some money i plan to pick this game up along with a fairly inexpensive joystick. What do you guys reccomend for someone who's never tried a flight sim? I've looked at the Saitek Cyborg evo and the Logitech Extreme 3d pro at Best Buy and both seem to be fairly comfortable on my hand but which one is better on performance?

---

Comment

For those of you wanting info on Joysticks, the only thing to say is to try it before you buy it. By that I don't mean plugging it in game - just get it out the box and try it. If it feels comfortable and you can reach the buttons then get it. This game can be flown with a pretty simple stick and KB configuration. I use an X-45 but my 9 button MS Sidewinder Pro worked fine. Try and get a stick that has a throttle control as well as a rudder (twist rudder should do).

As has been said I am not really available through the week as of the time difference, but I'm happy to join up with anyone most weekends. Of course, if anyone here feels comfortable with running a training flight go ahead.

Make sure you read the SOP's (http://www.tacticalgamer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=195) and we look forward to seeing you in the skies.

Welcome to TG :)
                  Jex.

Comment

Thanks for the info. It will probably be a bit before i can get the game, as i'll have to buy a flight stick as well. Hopefully this week i can get the flight stick.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Steel_Penguin
                      When i get some money i plan to pick this game up along with a fairly inexpensive joystick. What do you guys reccomend for someone who's never tried a flight sim? I've looked at the Saitek Cyborg evo and the Logitech Extreme 3d pro at Best Buy and both seem to be fairly comfortable on my hand but which one is better on performance?
                      I fly the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and i really like it. i've used a few sticks and this one is the best (least expensive one at least) i could find in my budget. 12 buttons, hat switch and its a swivel stick for rudder. really good in my book in the way of cost and use.

Fixer.

P.S. Oh jex, i prob could start Training flights after maybe 1 or 2 more with you. i picked up alot of hands on info from that flight yesterday to supplement my knowledge of working on the real thing so i can prob start helping in the training department in another week or so to help eliviate some of the workload on just you for training.

Comment

Great thanks Fixer :)

We'll need to meet on TS so I can go over the requirements of the position.
                        Jex.

Comment

Ok i got the game, and tonight I will get the Extreme3d Pro flight stick from Logitech.

reading over the brevity codes, i think that's going to be my most difficult task. I think i'll make some printouts for them and post them up here sectioned out so they are easier to learn, if that's possible.. hehe

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
                            Ok i got the game, and tonight I will get the Extreme3d Pro flight stick from Logitech.

reading over the brevity codes, i think that's going to be my most difficult task. I think i'll make some printouts for them and post them up here sectioned out so they are easier to learn, if that's possible.. hehe
                            I think I'll have some company in promising you that brevity codes will not be your most difficult task. If they are, you're a top gun for sure. :D

Comment

Their are a lot of those codes. I have been reading over them for the last 3 days and I still cant remember half of them. I hope everyone is pretty forgiving because I have a feeling I might butcher some at first but I will try my best to use them properly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X