Dual Monitors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Monitors?

Does anyone use multiple monitors to play AF?

I would think that having 3 monitors would be incredible, mostly because you could have the middle monitor be your forward view while the 2 sides are , well, side views, thus reducing the need to look around as much and adding somewhat to the realism.
    Is that the way it would work? Or would it just display the same image on all 3 screens?

Re: Dual Monitors?

http://www.go-l.com/monitors/athens/features/index.htm

Cant answer your question, but I like the looks of these guys.

Comment

I want that. I want that. I want that. Did I mention I want that?

I can't find any info on prices or ordering info tho....kinda a hard site to navigate.

Comment

Most Flight Sims will run Multiple Displays. Can't imagine this one would be any different. As long as your video card supports dual monitors you are good to go (which most of the newer cards do). And I'm sure those John linked to aren't cheap. I'd bet you could get better monitors (refresh rate and contrast) for your money if you just got 3 Samsungs. Three monitors would be a bit trickier as you would need another video card.

Check out this guys rig http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...isplya-04.html

That article should aslo shed some light on running multiple monitors.
        flux
        [tg-c1]

Comment

So, as far as I can tell, I would need a second vid card and two other monitors.

So I'd need a new 6800gt and two more viewsonic 19" (to keep everything the same)? That's a bit pricey.....maybe in the future, but by that time technology may be a bit more advanced, so I think this is guna remain a pipedream =(

Comment

Actually I've read that Falcon does not support dual monitors. I think someone has written a program that supports dual monitors, but that was for an older version of Falcon. Don't know if it works for F4:AF or not.
            [volun]

Comment

I think the monitors in the link run into the 5 figures

Comment

Actually I know of people that have used Dual Monitors, for Falcon 4.0 (the original) and it works just fine. in fact I heard of a married couple that were so into the game that they made their own cockpits with full controls, and at least 6 monitors, much like a training simulator. They could then play against each other or over the internet, using a dedicated server.
                Kick the Tires, and Light the Fires!

Comment

From my experience at work, multi monitors can be set up two ways. One is to mirror all the monitors so they all show the same image and one is to extend the image over multiple monitors. When you extend the image I believe there are two ways to go about it. One way is to take the image and divide it between the monitors. So if you had two monitors side by side, for example, it would display what is normally show on the right half of your monitor on the whole monitor on your right and what would display on the left half of your monitor and display it on the whole monitor on your left. The other way is to actually give yourself more real-estate. For example if you had two monitors side by side you could give your desktop a resolution of 1600 X 600 instead of 800 X 600. This would allow you to put two full screen programs side by side or extend things across multiple screens ect. You could also have them use different resolutions. So you could have one monitor on 800 X 600 while another is on 1024 X 768. I don't think it would do what you are thinking of doing unless the game itself supported it.

Speaking strictly from my experience (which does not include gaming on those computers) you would just end up with a very big single image across all the monitors. You could not set it so one was your forward view and one was your left view for example. I'm not sure what is available, but we have video cards that can support 4 monitors on each video card. Windows also makes it easy to put the monitors in any configuration you want. For example 4 straight across or a 2 X 2 square. You can also use multiple video cards with multiple monitors so you could have like a 2 X 3 or 2 X 4 or even a 1 X 8 ect. If you decide to try this, though, I VERY highly recommend buying the same brand of video cards. We have a couple computers here that have a Matrox card and an ATI card instead of 2 Matrox or 2 ATI. They work together but they don't like it. Nothing visually wrong with them, but some things that I would be very disappointed about if I had spent the money to have it at home. Things like different configurations need to be done seperately, the ATIs want to be next to eachother. They don't want Matrox displays splitting them up. So you have to make sure you plug them in a certain order ect. Whereas having them all one brand you just need to tell windows the setup of your monitors and off you go. If you still want to do it I would buy a multi monitor video card that is better than what you have now, borrow a friend's monitor(s) and try it out. If it doesn't do what you want it to then just don't use that feature of the video card. It will still be an upgrade from what you got. Just a thought.

Comment

There isnt a whole lot that's better than a 6800 gt right now from what I know, and is in my price range. But thanks for the info nonetheless!

Comment

Always happy to help when I can :row__591:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse