Why Ramp Starts are Important

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Ramp Starts are Important

Taking off from Osan Airbase yesterday at a little after 9.00 am saw little enemy fighter action. Considering war had just broken out between the north and the south, I expected a bit more of a show from the DPRK. Hey, perhaps they get out of bed at 10am? Try as I might, no amount of hassling Steve, our controller for the flight, would give me any contacts close enough to take a stab at.

My wingman, 2nd Lt. Cho, was looking forward to seeing some action as well. We were headed just over the border to take out a bridge in the north-west. Seal Team 6 had reported a large concentration of enemy armour and troops heading towards it and it was our job to take out the bridge and slow their advance. We had decided that as the enemy fighter presence wasnít too tough (i.e. no swarms of Mig-29ís), that I would take the bombs and Cho would take extra A-A. Looking over my shoulder, the single Mark 84 was strapped securely to the wing.

About 15 minutes into our flight, Steveís voice popped up. Two contacts off our left nose at 25 miles and closing. In response, we turned 50 degrees to the left, nose hot. A minute later they were identified as two Mig-23ís. I ordered Cho to take the left whilst I took the right.

ďFox 3!Ē we both shouted as our missiles streaked off their respective rails and out into the cold blue yonder. We continued to press, keeping out targets locked but we didnít need to. A few seconds later and we both had our first air kills of the war. We turned back on target and cranked up the power. Out TOT was all messed up now and we were now chasing the carrot.

That Damn carrot, always eluding me. One day Iím gonna crunch that guy.

As we came nearer to the target area, we received another call from Steve. We had a four-ship of Migs near the target area. I had them on radar as well so I went ahead and locked up the lead. At 20 miles we didnít have a shot so we pressed the target. A quick look at the HSD and Cho has my target locked. OK, if thatís how you want to play it Iíll take the trailer.

Cho calls ďFox 3 long!Ē

I prefer to wait and fire a little closer. Next thing though, Cho has locked up my target again. Dammit Cho! OK, Iíll go for one in the middle. Choís shot goes out, but now the targets have turned nose cold on us. This now means I will have to get real close to shoot. We continue to press and at six miles, Iím able to get a shot off. I quickly target the second one and take the shot Ė splash 2 Migs.

We continued on towards the target area; it was quite. Our SEAD flight ahead of us had engaged a few J6ís and we had clear skies. As we came into range, I ordered Cho to anchor at the target steer point whilst I did the attack run. The bridge ran north-south and had a nice sandy road leading straight to it. I rolled my aircraft over and brought the nose down. Rolling back again I selected the Mk 84ís, lined up the bridge in the HUD and at two thousand feet,

ďBombs Away!Ē

Pulling hard up and two the right, dumping flares, I looked over my shoulder to see the explosions and the bridge crumple. Seal Team 6 must have been there to watch the show as Steve let us know they appreciated the firework display. I told him to tell them next time, weíd bring wing-tip smoke.

As I pulled off the target I caught a flash of light off my 3. It was a J6 pulling hard into me to get on my tail. Already in Cat 1, I pulled hard into him. I pulled too hard and started to loose speed. Now I was entering dangerous waters as at this height and this speed, the Mig had the edge. I eased off the stick a little and punch in the after burner. I managed to get my speed back up over 400 knots but all I could do was match his turn. At this rate, I would be here all day, or until another Mig turned up to fart on my birthday cake.

Except today wasnít my birthday.

I called in to my wingman to clear my six but for some reason, he was miles away. Damn it Cho, why the hell are you over there, whilst Iím over here? Without a wingman I had to end this show quickly. I took the fight into the vertical, angling my bird at about 45 degrees right. I did a fairly slow climb and the Mig couldnít follow me. I gently brought my bird over the top, selecting my last missile. The growl of the seeker head buzzed in my ears and I swung down on my target and slotted perfectly into a rear aspect shot.

ďFox 2!Ē

The missile streaked out and 2 seconds later the pilot was punching out. Splash 4 Migs in one day and a bridge. I take a quick sitrep and find Iím clear of fighters and there is nothing around me for miles, which is exactly where Cho the dumbass is Ė miles away from me and in trouble. I bring my nose around and start heading high speed to help him out. Iíve only got guns but thatís better than nothing, and an extra bird in the air puts off the enemy.

However my rescue attempt is cut short. I run over a AAA battalion and they blow the crap out of me. Everything shuts down and Iím left with the whistling of the wind. Iím at angels 13 and gliding along. A quick call to Steve and he tells me my divert airfield is 50 miles away. Great! Iím going to crash land on the very battalion that I just halted.

So just for the hell of it I look down at my left-hand panel and try the fuel switch again followed by the EPU and the JFS starter. A second or two later and I hear my engine start to warm up. Yes! I shout in jubilation. But it is cut short Ė the power will only go to 25%. I know I have to hit the Idle detent somewhere and maybe press some more buttons but I canít remember the order. By this time, Slammer has joined in on comms and is trying to help me but itís no use, nothing is working! Even shooting the cannon at the ground wonít slow my decent. Heads down again and Iím flicking switches and wiggling the throttle and then I plow into the ground Ė dumbass!

Ejectionís too good for me and another pilot dies from stupidity. I guess the ramp start is good for something after all ;)
    Jex.

Re: Why Ramp Starts are Important

Yes it was quite funny when Jex said, "OMG MY ENGINE IS SPOOLING BACK UP", but to no avail. Too bad Jex maybe next time. And then after that we had a great mission where we totally destroyed the 4th army base.

But now Jex has another problem. He goes too far north and gets some AAA after one of his bomb runs. Only God above knows how but, Jex managed to trim his plane out and make it all the way back to base. But with his controlls all shot up landing seemed impossible. So Jex brought her in on his first try and as soon as he got down below 300 kts his viper started flying SIDEWAYS(not good for landing). So Jex goes around and decides to come in at <300 kts lands runs off the runway and right before he is about to crash into the perimiter fence ejects!!! But his plane doesn't crash it rolls right through the fence and settels on the hill outside the airbase.

Quite an entertaining flight Jex! I just wanna thank you man for good fun and a good mission I had a great time and hope to have a lot more!

Slammer

Comment

Awesome read man!

Comment

Good read...was curious what a j-6 was...guess its an f-6....

I need to get into this game

Comment

J6 is a variant of the Mig 19 i think
          Jex.

Comment

Originally posted by jex
            J6 is a variant of the Mig 19 i think
            correct....chinese version if i recall correctly...
            I dont believe NKAF has any. Just f-6s...which may be the same thing...doubt it though...probably minor differences.

Comment

Wonderful Story JEX !!! ....reminds me of a song, High Speed Dirt i think...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X