Dumbest Thing You Have Ever Done in Falcon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbest Thing You Have Ever Done in Falcon

Well this weekend while flying a mission I did the dumbest thing ever. We were flying a 4 ship BAI mission to hit some scuds up by the demarcation line.

So we took off from our base and climbed up to angles 22 and started calling into AWACS and searching for A2A threats. All of a sudden off our 11 o'clock someone picks up a MIG 23 but can't get a firing solution because the MIG has turned nose cold. So we go about our mission and I start scanning around for something to shoot. I tilt my radar up a little and find a single blip on my radar at 12 o'clock 30 miles away nose hot on us. So I bug the target declare it to AWACS and get back the responce "its a bogey". I call in to the lead aircraft saying I have a target at 12 o'clock high at 25 miles and request permission to fire, get the go ahead and then FOX 3. As soon as my missle releases I hear it, "WE ARE ON THE SAME SIDE JACKASS", I had just fired on a KC135 tanker. Well I lit up that gas station in the sky and it fell to the earth in a blaze of glory.

Well, everyone in the flight got a good laugh and we didn't need the gas anyway but, I did get a court martial and a poor rating after the mission was over. Anyway lesson learned the hard way that a BOGEY is not an enemy it is an unidentified aircraft a BANDIT is an enemy aircraft. I learned my lesson hope you guys don't make the same mistake.

Slammer

Re: Dumbest Thing You Have Ever Done in Falcon

I've not gone live on a server yet, but I am the king of fuel consumption in the training. I've run out of fuel incessantly. :icon19:

Comment

The dumbest thing I ever did was fly an entire campaign mission at night in total blackness, not knowing I had the option of using night vision goggles.
      [volun]

Comment

I got my A#@ handed to me once while dogfighting against a lesser-capable fighter (I think it was a mig23). I did an external view of my ship as it was spiraling down in flames and noticed that my speedbrakes were open. I then realized that I had the brakes open the entire time I was in the fight. And I remember during the fight trying to figure out "how he is getting around on me so easily." Sort of like going into a dogfight with a parachute strapped to your rear.

If I had been paying attention to my airspeed as opposed to looking out of the pit and cranking on the stick then I probably would have figured it out. Oh well. We learn much more from a humiliating defeat than we do from a decisive victory.

Comment

Originally posted by Slammer
          Well this weekend while flying a mission I did the dumbest thing ever. We were flying a 4 ship BAI mission to hit some scuds up by the demarcation line.

So we took off from our base and climbed up to angles 22 and started calling into AWACS and searching for A2A threats. All of a sudden off our 11 o'clock someone picks up a MIG 23 but can't get a firing solution because the MIG has turned nose cold. So we go about our mission and I start scanning around for something to shoot. I tilt my radar up a little and find a single blip on my radar at 12 o'clock 30 miles away nose hot on us. So I bug the target declare it to AWACS and get back the responce "its a bogey". I call in to the lead aircraft saying I have a target at 12 o'clock high at 25 miles and request permission to fire, get the go ahead and then FOX 3. As soon as my missle releases I hear it, "WE ARE ON THE SAME SIDE JACKASS", I had just fired on a KC135 tanker. Well I lit up that gas station in the sky and it fell to the earth in a blaze of glory.

Well, everyone in the flight got a good laugh and we didn't need the gas anyway but, I did get a court martial and a poor rating after the mission was over. Anyway lesson learned the hard way that a BOGEY is not an enemy it is an unidentified aircraft a BANDIT is an enemy aircraft. I learned my lesson hope you guys don't make the same mistake.

Slammer

Presumably someone here will reply

"The dumbest thing I did was let one of my wingmen shoot down a tanker."

lol ;)
          Jex.

Comment

Oh boy, it's a long list. Name it I've done it.

-Shot down a Tanker and other assorted friendlies
            -Landed with no gear and/or wrong airport
            -Ran out of fuel over enemy territory
            -Accidentally fire off Mavericks with no lock
            -Obliviously fly into enemy flights while chatting away on Teamspeak
            -Mis-enter precision steerpoints and drop bombs on civies

I'm a firm believer that one must make mistakes to learn. Crawl, Walk, Run, Stumble and fall down....or something like that.
            New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by TG_PolishBoogieman
              The dumbest thing I ever did was fly an entire campaign mission at night in total blackness, not knowing I had the option of using night vision goggles.
              haha (sympathetic laugh)! good one. I"m still learning the sim so I performing dumb things every day! hehe
              Currently playing:
              Falcon4:Allied Force
              Battlefield1942
              Dangerous Waters

Comment

Originally posted by TG_PolishBoogieman

ROFLMAO!! My friend just did that in a flight with me (it was his first training mission in the dark) .. He was like "man, its really dark out here, I can barely see anything" and that was half way back to base after a very long CAP mission. We were laughing so hard. The funniest part was when he actually turned on his Night Vision (finally) and just to hear him say "holy [email protected], YEA BABY"

It was kinda my fault becasue I forgot to tell him he had night vision inthe first place, I just assumed he knew. . LOL.. HAHAHAHAHAH!

Comment

LOL! He should be callsign "Night Owl!" :)
                  [volun]

Comment

Since we're on the subject, you can turn on backlighting in your cockpit so the instrument panel is completely visible without NVG.

I don't have the key strokes handy, but if you look at the control panel next to your right thigh there are two round knobs labeled "Consoles" and "Instr Panel". Light up the night!
                    New to TG?

Comment

Yup Squid.. i knew that.. I actually found it by mistake. More like "Hey, whats this button do" LOL

Comment

I don't believe in having a perfect game so if everything is going real well I shoot down one of my wingmen with a heatseeker not locked.

Comment

Last night .. i was going in for a ground kill on some AAA's and I got hit by some flak. I lost my hud but I could still pickle weapons. So for the hell of it, I shot off 4 AAMRAMS in 4 different direction and headed for home. (there were bogeys everywhere) I ended up getting 2 A-A kills. LOL.. 1 MIg-29 and 1 mig-21. (hows that for luck) . HAHAHHA. 50 percent.. not bad considering I had no idea where anyone was. uhmm I never made it back to base tho. . LOL

Comment

It was yesterday, the first flight on the TG campain server after the upgrade to version 1.04. The patch had been released a few hours earlier, and since then people on the FalconAF Teamspeak channels had been busy a good couple of hours sorting out various issues with the new patch.

My "issue" was that the patching process restored the keybindings file to the original version, and I didn't have a backup of my old one. I do some pretty drastic modifications of the standard layout - for various reasons. First, I have a slightly non-standard keyboard - for instance, no little "insert" key above the "delete" key. Second, and more importantly, I use an X52 with the Saitek programming SW, and my setup requires that each HOTAS button refer to an unshifted key. I can't have "fire B" refer to "Ctrl-Shift-Alt M" because the modifiers applies to and mess up any function I might use simultaneously - e.g., air brakes.

So when Boogieman, Psylent and I took off to bomb an enemy airbase, I had restored some of my custom keyboard definitions, but not all. I really should have sorted ALL the keys out first, but I guess I was impatient to see how V1.04 would work out. And so I had some busy moments during the flight, with some of my HOTAS buttons referring to functions I wasn't used to.

Despite the confusion, I was able to do my part in a successful OCA strike, otherwise a milk run - no bandits or ground threats. As we were RTB, approaching 30 miles out, flight lead Boogieman called for fence-out. I was trying to flip the master arm switch when I suddenly heard that terrific "woosh"-sound; a brand-new 120-C5 went maddog off my left wingtip, the active radar homing worked flawlessly, and if I had been more aware, I'd yell out a warning, and Boogieman might have had a chance of throwing some chaff bundles around.

At mission debrief I went down for "Involuntary Manslaughter". At least the court cleared me of any ill intent. Still, I don't think you can do any worse than this - shooting down your fellow human pilots. Later, my thoughts went to those who experience things like this in real life - such incidents occur frequently, and I'm glad I get to say "it's only a game". Also, Boogieman was great about the episode. Reading posts in a forum like this also helps an eternal student.

A question though - his status at debrief was "RS" not "KIA" - I always assumed "RS" meant something more pleasant than manslaughter - like "rescued & safe". Maybe not.

Anyways, apologies for a lengthy post. And for the future, I'll try to be better prepared, I'll might rethink my HOTAS programming strategy - and in the virtual skies, I'll try hard to be a less serious threat to your rears than enemy MiGs and SAMs.

Comment

Loaded Patch 1.04

RAIDMAX X1 ATX/450 Watts
                              AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4400+ Toledo Core
                              OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB)
                              ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
                              GIGABYTE Geforce 6800 GS
                              Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i w/Rudder

Comment

Connect

Collapse