Need your advice please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your advice please!

Hi there. I already posted this in the LOMAC forum, but decided to post here as well. I want to get back into Flight combat sims, but I am long removed from the scene. The last one i was heavy into was IAF, and then somewhat into Jane's USAF. From my research (reading of reviews on random game sites and simhq.com) the best two out there are F4:AF and Lock-On. Could anyone please pitch in on the plusses and minuses of each one, and help me out a bit? I have loved Tactical Gamer (playing Bf2 here) and am dying to play a flight sim with all of you. Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Re: Need your advice please!

My Opion Falcon is the way to go.... Much more fun and realistic..... Just My opinion......

Comment

Well you'll certainly find more online activity with Falcon...while LOMAC is a fun game and looks very nice, its lack of a dynamic campaign really limits its long-term playability. You can only fly scripted missions so many times before you get bored with them. Falcon has a dynamic campaign where each mission is generated based on the state of the campaign, and your mission successes or failures have a great impact on the overall war.

Falcon is also considered to be the more realistic of the two.

Points for LOMAC:
      - better graphics, quite nice-looking
      - easier to learn (but at the cost of less realism)
      - multiple aircraft to fly (F-15, A-10, Mig-29 I believe)

Points for Falcon:
      - Realistic, almost every function of the f-16 is modeled accurately
      - Dynamic campaign
      - Active online community

There you have it. I'm a Falcon guy myself but I'm trying to be objective here. Along those lines, an add-on is in the works for LOMAC that will include new missions and the addition of a flyable helicopter. But the lack of a dynamic campaign will still hinder it somewhat.

You can get either game for just over $20. Buy both? :) And if you do purchase Falcon 4 Allied Force, join us here for flight training, the campaign server missions, and various other good times!
      [volun]

Comment

yeah right now i dont have alot of time to fly because of work and i have both games and falcon is the game i play as soon as i can. go for it

Comment

Yeah I came to TG for BF2 as well, but I've always been a big sim fan from props to jets, tanks, subs ...hell you name it.

F4's campaign and systems modeling has always been a huge draw for me, and the MP community here just fits into it so well.

I enjoy LOMAC too, but to be honest I just dont find myself playing it all that often due to its canned missions.

Comment

Lomac is a great sim, it's flight modelling and graphics are fantastic. The sense of speed and height is unsurpassed and MP connectivity is brilliant (i.e. you can fly and hold a position a few feet from another AC wiht no problem.

It features the F15, A10, Mig29a and s, Su27, Su33 (carrier ops) and the su25 frogfoot. However as has been stated, there are no mission for it and any missions made are put into a sterile environment. Lockon cannot handle hundreds (let alone thousands as does F4) of units on the map so missions are sterile if you fly away from the objective.

Falcon on the other hand sucks when it comes to graphics compared with lockon. However, that becomes hardly a factor at all because in falcon you're usually busy doing dsomething inside the pit. Everynow and then though, falcon throws up a nice sunrise over foggy hills.

F4s dynamic campaign is where it's at (and ALL flight sim makers from now on HEED this).

Once briefed (using the briefing tools and map, you find yourself in the pit. ATC should vector you onto the runway but you may have to wait for AC to land, or take off. When you're in the air, you see other friendly AC also flying around conducting their own missions. Add to this an entire ground war going on with enemy forces conducting their own missions against our troops and you find yourself in a living, breathing campaign made better with the addition of human players.
            Jex.

Comment

Everyone, thank you very much for your input. I think there is a clear, unbiased, consensus here :) Seriously though, thanks everyone. I will be picking this up soon. I have a logitech3dpro. Is this good enough for the game, or do I need the fancy setups?

Comment

You can be very effective in the game with one of those. I believe we have at least one pilot who uses that same stick. The fancier HOTAS setups do make things a little easier and more immersive, but I used to have a similar joystick and it was manageable. If you really get into the game, you might consider a HOTAS like the X45, X52 or the Cougar.
                [volun]

Comment

Real armchair lawn darts with any hair at all on their arse use the keyboard !!!

That being said, I use an X45 and BoggieMan's profile, so it's a regular trip to the waxing salon for me......

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X