TrackIR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrackIR

How many folks here are using TrackIR with F4AF? I was on TS last night listening to the conversations about EECH and the 6DOF and how it was so cool for that sim. I recall hearing someone say it wasn't all that useful in F4AF so I thought I'd ask to see how many folks here find it useful versus just the cool factor of being able to control the view with simple head motion.

I assume it only works in the 3d cockpit and not in the 2d cockpit. Since it's not listed in the PDF manual can someone who has it briefly summarize it's usefulness?
    Pavehawk
    Any Time, Any Place

Re: TrackIR

I've got TrackIR3 Pro and don't use it with Falcon. It's near impossible to use in conjunction with padlock, at least it was for me. If you're one of the purists that doesn't use padlock then more power to you, trackir would be great. :icon20:
    New to TG?

Comment

Agree with Squid. I have TrackIR 3 w/ vector expansion. It works great, exactly as advertised - but it's just not that useful in combat. Padlock is MUCH better for a modern combat flight sim, IMHO.

I still use it during flight, especially during training, to check formation and for general sight-seeing. But I always disable it before any kind of engagement.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great quality product and I'm not sorry I have one. And in EE, it's breathtaking. But in F4AF I don't use it much.
      [volun]

Comment

I use Trackir and padlock, just depends on the circumstances. Trackir is wonderful for Airfield navigation, lining up convoys to smoke with CBu's, generally anything that involves fine tuning of alignment. It really shines in formation flying. I will shutdown AF and turn Trackir on. I will not fly without it.
        Padlock, OTOH, is very useful for dogfighting, but really, in campaign, how much dogfighting do you really do? You can also use it for finding close in targets that are beyond the resolution of your monitor. I feel that this is kind of a cheat, but in RL you can see much better that the resolution of your monitior. So it's an aid I guess.
        Bottom line, for me anyway, is that both Trackir and padlocking are useful in certain areas. I use Trackir more that padlocking, FWIW.

RAIDMAX X1 ATX/450 Watts
        AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4400+ Toledo Core
        OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB)
        ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
        GIGABYTE Geforce 6800 GS
        Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i w/Rudder

Comment

My TrackIR should arrive Wednesday. Cant wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Psylent
            My TrackIR should arrive Wednesday. Cant wait.
            Once you get used to using it, you will not fly without it. Best addition to simming since HOTAS.

RAIDMAX X1 ATX/450 Watts
            AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 4400+ Toledo Core
            OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB)
            ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
            GIGABYTE Geforce 6800 GS
            Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i w/Rudder

Comment

I mix my use with falcon. Dogfighting I use padlock, also for incomming missiles. As padlocked keeps my view on the aircraft and also displays who's enemy - it's my preferred option. One thing that bugs me about using it at other times is that crappy 3d pit. I feel like I've timewraped back to the commodore 64 days.
              Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X