Padlocking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Padlocking

I'm hearing this refered to alot, and i've done the searches, and... i guess... i think i might know what it is, just locking onto a target in your displays and getting the square over the target... but exactly what is padlocking? How does it relate to the TrackIR?
    -Kaine

Re: Padlocking

Padlocking is "locking" your virtual pilot's view onto a target within the 3D cockpit. By that I mean that the padlock view follows whatever it is locked onto across the ground, sky, or sea while you are flying. Essentially, this is one of those features that breaks the 4th wall in that it's a pale imitation of a fighter pilot's situational awareness and wide field of view. To padlock onto something using the default settings, press '3' to enter the 3D cockpit. From there, slew your view so that you are looking in the general direction of your target, and press '4'. You can cycle through padlocked targets by pressing '+' on the number-pad, a feature which is very useful for sighting incoming missiles. Also be aware that padlock can be used in conjunction with the AWACS declare call, simply by padlocking the target and then making the call.

Hope that helps.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

You don't have to go to the 3D pit first. Pressing 4 will padlock the nearest target whether friendly or enemy and continue cycling through targets as you press 4. It will Padlock ground or air depending on your ICP mode.

So many options......:row__593:

With TrackIR your 3D view is taken over by TrackIR, so pressing 4 to padlock something is countered by your head movement breaking the padlock. It's been awhile since I've tried it, but I'm pretty sure that's why I really didn't dig the TrackIR with Falcon.
      New to TG?

Comment

When in the 3D pit, if you push shift and 3 you will get a nice little wiget (SA Bar) that gives you the critical instruments on the left side, to help you from driving into the dirt.

Comment

So many options......

There sure are, here's another one, I press '7' which is the 'Incoming view'. I find this picks up any missile as soon as it's launched at me & from any distance which I find gives me more time to evade. Now I know I definately have a missile tracking me and I know what type.I then press '2, hit the AA OR AG button' ,punch out flares&chaff while going defensive and keep pressing '4' to try and padlock it which is usually first press. I find trying to padlock first dosn't always pick up the missile till it's too late. Just my personnal preference. Sounds a bit slow but I find it's quicker than just padlocking.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X