Question about the X-52

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the X-52

I know a large group of you flyers have the Saitek X-52 HOTAS system. What I want to know is how do you like them? I am interested in getting a new joystick and have always been interested in HOTAS based systems, but before I lay out the money for the X-52 I want to get your personal opinions of likes and dislikes. I do play a lot of flying games, both military sims and civ sims (hell I think I got a copy of every Flight Simulator all the way to 95). Currently I just have the original Falcon 4 and I am thinking of buying AF since you all play and have fun with it.
    -BB|KillerTarget

Re: Question about the X-52

Hey Killer,

I've got an X45 that I like a lot. It's great for the money and the programming software is pretty good as well. Eight months of pretty hard flying and no wear or sloppiness - if anything it's even better than new because the stiff spring has worn in a little. The X52 is a step up from that mostly due to the LCD display, so I'd bet it would suit you. It's pretty much top of the line unless you want to step up to the Thrustmaster Cougar, but those are considerably more $$$.
    [volun]

Comment

I'll tell you next week when mine comes in

(*hey KT - come on it, you'll have fun with us*)

Comment

Thanks for some of the advice, as for you ESPD aren't you supposed to actually be working? I have read of mix of reviews on the web about the X-52 some loving it and others talking that it could be better but for the price it was a good deal, and I just wanted to confirm that. I don't care about twist grips, in fact I actually prefer them because one of the first joysticks I ever had was a twist grip (may that sidewinder 3D rest in pieces) and most of the joysticks that I have had since I almost break the stick from the habit of twisting them. As for thrustmaster I have had a few bad experiences with them, so even though the HOTAS Cougar has great reviews and if I had the money I still probably wouldn't buy it because of past experiences. My current joystick is a Gravis Xterminator® Dual Control, it is sorta like a HOTAS but instead of a throttle part it is a curved hand with a dial type throttle and 5 extra buttons and for the thumb a 8 way dial thingy (it is like one of the thumb things on an x-box controller). It is finally starting to show its age with a few buttons going dead and that is about it other than some minor squeaking (I got it the same year Star Trek: Elite Force came out whenever that was) so it has done rather well with some of the punishment that i inflict upon it, but it is time to upgrade and I have always wanted a HOTAS based system.
        -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

there's a tab that you can pull out to prevent it from twisting... :)

Comment

I want it to twist though, I like it and am used to it. Sorry my last post was sort of a ramble.
            -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

well then just don't pull that tab out... lol :)

Comment

I've had the X52 since F4:AF came out (sep last year?) and I love it. The biggest complaint I have is one of the hat switches I use as the TMS isn't sensitive enough so in a fit sometimes I have to reach for the keyboard for the dogfight quick keys. Some different programming could probably solve that. I use the twist rudder with no complaints.

The biggest issue I've read about is the spring is not as stout as the x45. I think the spring is strong enough and it certainly doesn't cause any problems, but I can see how someone would think it felt a little loose.
                New to TG?

Comment

This is the only HOTAS system that i've used but I reckon it's great.
                  Very smooth action on both stick and throttle (which also has a dial on the side to adjust the force required to move it, and indented idle and AB positions) and a bunch of buttons, hats, sliders and toggles which can be programed to different keystrokes in three different modes, and has a mouse to boot. No problems here for the 6 months I've used it, go for it Killer!

Comment

now you guys got me drooling over this, now to get the money to buy this. God this sucks having to save up for college and having no job. God so many hard decisions to buy or not to buy. Probably will buy next week LOL. Now does anyone know where I can get it cheaper than newegg? Newegg has it for 96.99 and 6.99 shipping with UPS (bleh but I gotta go cheap). As for F4AA I got a card to BB and some money coming from dad that will cover that.
                    -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

If money is an issue, I would definitely recomend the X45. I've had mine for over 2 years now and it's still working great. As for the X52, I first saw it some months ago and I thought "That is cool - I gotta get that thing." But as I started checking it out in stores, it did seem a little lighter and more flimsy than the X45. One thing I could not get over is how loose the stick is. My X45 definitely has some tension to it while the X52 seems quite loose. (I'm not sure if you can adjust the tension on the X52)

Needless to say, I never purchased the X52 and I'm still flying with the X45. It seems there are many who are very happy with the X52 so I'm sure it's a great stick. I guess my point with all this is that if you can only afford an X45, you will still be getting a very nice HOTAS.

Comment

Money isn't the issue, just allocating where that money is spent is the issue.
                        -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

well if you were here Thursday afternoon, Wolf started a thread where he wanted to sell his -- unfortunately, for you at least, I picked it up within an hour of his post and it's in the mail now... :)

Comment

I have the X45, and it works mediocrely in Falcon, but if you want to fly anything that requires prescision (Helis in FS2004 on full realism mode, or doing instrument work in FS2004) it will fall short. This is because of the inherent slop in the gimbal, and just poor design. By this, I mean that the stick can move approxametly 1/4 inch any direction before the potensiometers are affected, thus making a very large dead zone. I will admit that this would be negligable to a 10 year old yanking and cranking, but to a seasoned RC heli pilot, that dead zone is larger than the Grand Canyon.

The only commercially available Joystick that suited my preferences in prescision was the Sidewinder 3D, but they are not made any more, and for Falcon, well, they just didn't have enough buttons to be suitable.

Maybe some manufacturer will take the hint and produce a Force Feedback Hotas system worthy of the $150 price tag that accompanies some of the (in my opinion) junk that is on the market now.

Comment

Cougar for the total Feel.... LOL sorry had to say it........ come on TS sometime and we can discuse the diffrences........ The X-52 is a great stick I must say... I went to a Cougar because I am building a Pit soon......

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X