Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Footage of JDAM Explosion

Here ya go!

Looking frame-by-frame, the JDAM actually hits the fuel tank and then penetrates into the ground before exploding. Fuzzy's theory is that it's a bunker buster, and IMO it's actually quite scary.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Re: Footage of JDAM Explosion

Awesome footage Munchkin! +Rep.

Yea... I mean if you look at it frame by frame, there definately is a flash explosion before it hits the ground, but I figure this could be either a) the Fuel Tank itself igniting or b) the initial charge on a bunker buster that "paves the way" for the main war head to blow up. The reason I think it is a bunker buster is because, bascially.. the tanks to the right are not so much destroyed as they are flat-out barried in tons of soil. The explosion is not lateral. Rather, it almost comes from within the earth itself.

Good Times.
    Fuzzy.

PS - NO WAY!!

Comment

Sweet Mother of Pearl...that's impressive. And scary. I'll take three, please.
      [volun]

Comment

If there's one memory I have of living at and working on Eglin Air Force Base it's of all the munitions that were developed and tested there.
        Pavehawk
        Any Time, Any Place

Comment

anyone else surprised by how long it took for all the debris to return to earth?! it was raining rocks and dirt clods for a LONG time!!

Comment

could you imagine sitting in your mud hut in some waring desert country and getting a couple of those on your door step. BOOM!
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
              could you imagine sitting in your mud hut in some waring desert country and getting a couple of those on your door step. BOOM!
              Fuzzy (give the man +rep) was telling me about the CBU-97, as well. It's a huge cluster munition, designed to destroy armour, that releases self-guided, automatic locking and heatseeking bomblets to cause maximum destruction. Now that's scary.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
              Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by munchkin
                Fuzzy (give the man +rep) was telling me about the CBU-97, as well. It's a huge cluster munition, designed to destroy armour, that releases self-guided, automatic locking and heatseeking bomblets to cause maximum destruction. Now that's scary.

:icon_lol: sounds like a Ratchet&Clank weapon

Comment

This might be a stupid observation/question but it is something I've always wondered about. At the very beginning of that vid you can hear the bomb screaming towards earth. And I've heard stories from soldiers who say that there is no mistaking the sound of incoming ordinance. The sound (prior to the explosion of course) is tremendous.

But where is that sound coming from? I mean, the bomb is not powered with some rocket or something and it's not going supersonic (as far as I know). I'm guessing it's falling at something like several hundred miles per hour and that something that heavy moving that fast is going to make that much noice. I'm not sure. Just something stupid I've always wondered about. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by BigDuke16
                    This might be a stupid observation/question but it is something I've always wondered about. At the very beginning of that vid you can hear the bomb screaming towards earth. And I've heard stories from soldiers who say that there is no mistaking the sound of incoming ordinance. The sound (prior to the explosion of course) is tremendous.

But where is that sound coming from? I mean, the bomb is not powered with some rocket or something and it's not going supersonic (as far as I know). I'm guessing it's falling at something like several hundred miles per hour and that something that heavy moving that fast is going to make that much noice. I'm not sure. Just something stupid I've always wondered about. Any ideas?
                    yep, that's just the sound of the ordinance pushing the air out of the way... if you've ever played baseball and batted against a good pitcher (or maybe in the "Fast" batting cage), you hear the same effect - though a baseball only makes a hiss as it travels to home-plate.

It's the same sound a golf-club makes swinging through the air...

What's really wierd is if you ever see a glider up in the sky... it sounds just like a jet!

(edit: oh, and it very well could be going faster than the speed of sound... it starts off at whatever the speed of the aircraft was and then gravity accellerates it all the way to impact)

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
                      yep, that's just the sound of the ordinance pushing the air out of the way... if you've ever played baseball and batted against a good pitcher (or maybe in the "Fast" batting cage), you hear the same effect - though a baseball only makes a hiss as it travels to home-plate.

It's the same sound a golf-club makes swinging through the air...

What's really wierd is if you ever see a glider up in the sky... it sounds just like a jet!

(edit: oh, and it very well could be going faster than the speed of sound... it starts off at whatever the speed of the aircraft was and then gravity accellerates it all the way to impact)
                      Yup - unless the object reaches terminal velocity, in which case it'll remain at that speed till impact.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                      Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

For those that were wondering what JDAM stood for here you go:

Joint Direct Attack Munition

US Air Force
                        Global Security
                        Pavehawk
                        Any Time, Any Place

Comment

Originally posted by munchkin
                          Yup - unless the object reaches terminal velocity, in which case it'll remain at that speed till impact.
                          yeah.. but for a 1000lb, bullet shaped object, Vt is pretty damn fast ;)

Comment

The Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) is a guidance tail kit that converts existing unguided free-fall bombs into accurate, all-weather guided bombs. The JDAM kit consists of a new tail section containing an inertial navigational system and a global positioning system (GPS) guidance control unit. JDAM can be launched from approximately 15 miles from the target and each is independently targeted. JDAM was jointly developed by the U.S. Air Force and U.S. Navy, is built by Boeing, and can be fitted to the standard Mk.80 series of free-fall bombs. Each kit costs around $18,000 (USD).

JDAM can only be launched by F-16s that have a digital INS/GPS system with the proper software upgrades to integrate with the weapons management system. JDAM is or can be carried by the following F-16 models: MLU aircraft, block 30/32, block 40/42, block 50/52, block 52+, and block 60. JDAM capability can be added to older models (block 30/32/40/42) by installing a digital INS/GPS system, and installing the required software upgrades. Newer models already have the digital GPS/INS when they roll off the production line. These models can also use their radar to refine the target coordinates. Based on radar returns from the target, target coordinates are determined and fed back into the JDAM guidance section.

GBU-29
                            Proposed JDAM 250lb bomb, based on the 250lb Mk.81 warhead. There are currently no plans to produce this version.

GBU-30
                            JDAM 500lb bomb, based on the 500lb Mk.82 warhead.

GBU-31
                            JDAM 2,000lb bomb. Two versions are available: the GBU-31(V)1/B is based on the 2,000lb Mk.84 warhead, and the GBU-31(V)3/B is based on the 2,000lb BLU-109 penetrator warhead.

GBU-32
                            JDAM 1,000lb bomb. Two versions are available: the GBU-32(V)1/B is based on the 1,000lb Mk.83 warhead, and the GBU-32(V)3/B is based on the 1,000lb BLU-110 penetrator warhead.

Got all of this from F-16.net so I thought I would post the important bit here. You can read the rest of the info here: http://www.f-16.net/f-16_armament_article9.html

Slammer

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X