No announcement yet.

Old School Flying Part II: WWII Online?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old School Flying Part II: WWII Online?

Seems we have the itch for some WWII-era flying…let me throw out another option.

“Battleground Europe,” previously known as WWII Online. It massively multiplayer and it’s been around for 5 years or so. Its launch was a disaster, but they’ve worked on it constantly and re-released it under another publisher, and it’s now supposedly a lot better. You can play as an infantry grunt, machine-gunner, sapper, drive trucks & tanks, man anti-tank and AA cannons, be a tank gunner/commander, and of course, pilot fighters and bombers.

I used to subscribe to this game, and the flight models and weapons were pretty good. The real draw here for us is that there is no AI – every object in the game is manned by a real human. So when you shoot down a Me-109 or take out a Panzer MkIV, it’s a lot more satisfying! The gameplay is set up so that a campaign is always in progress. There’s a “front line” and a communication system to show you where the action is and where you’re needed.

I think this could be a real hoot for an online squadron. There’s a 14-day free trial. I propose that if anyone’s interested, we could download and start the trial simultaneously and see if it’s any good.

Here’s the URL: http://www.wwiionline.com

And a review of the re-release is on the front page at http://www.simhq.com

It is a subscription-based game. I’m not one for shelling out each month for the same game, but at least there’s a free trial.

Interested?
    Last edited by TG_PolishBoogieman; 06-05-2006, 04:26 PM.
    [volun]

Re: Old School Flying Part II: WWII Online?

that link goes to a clothing store....lol

http://www.wwiionline.com/scripts/wwiionline/index.jsp
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

How much does it cost after the free trial?

I used to play Aces High 2 and it was pretty fun but the 14.99 or whatever a month didn't seem to be worth it. A lot of guys I flew with played WW2 online it sounds pretty cool.

Slammer

Comment

its a 30 day free trial...then 15 a month after that....might be worth the 30 day trial..
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Ah crap....

*link fixed*
          [volun]

Comment

It's an irritating game to play solo, but great with a team.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
            |TG-2nd|munchkin
            Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Slammer did you lose TS .... LOL ....... Let chat on TS about this ......

Comment

I'm not on my computer its still fecked up...:(

Comment

I was a day 1 subscriber and a once longtime loyal customer but I've reached the point where I can no longer justify giving CRS $15/month. Aces Hig 2 would be a good alternative as well as IL2 online.

Comment

I'm a subscriber to wwiiol since the beta - heck, i even participated in beta with my old squad.
                    I switched from Warbirds to wwiionline and was happy at first, and sad after a few months. However i still have my account and fly on a regular basis with my co-worker. WWIIOL indeed is boring playing alone, but winging is very satisfying. My roots of flightsimming is the ww2 era.

stevie

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X