Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Red Viper and Open force Falcon (for allied force only) help appreciated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Red Viper and Open force Falcon (for allied force only) help appreciated

Hi i've had allied force for a couple of months but fished it out again to learn it properly, i love the game! but theres only one problem i find with it and i understand this is a common problem and thats the absence of a working IFF system or identification friend or foe system just to clarify what i mean, anyway i'll get to the point.

1. How do other pilots tell friend from foe in Allied Force other than using AWACS to declare and give a 'picture' if IFF isn't simulated? (someone told me something about a system called STT whats this how does it work?) ---- basically what do i do to identify targets friend or foe.
    2.Otherwise if this isn't possible or if theres a mod option that helps with this ---- Im looking for a community based mod project or open source project that simulates IFF i've heard from someone on this forum that Red Viper and Open Falcon may or may not simulate IFF.
    Is it better to get open falcon or red viper do they simulate IFF or have a different systems that improves target identification?

question 3 last but not least sorry this is a bit of a novel heh heh --- what are my other options if these are not possible though im thinking at least option 1 is ok so long as someone can help me figure out how to identify friend from foe.

Help would be much welcome and appreciated! Cheers Xemper

P.S talkin about allied force not the original falcon just to clarify

Re: Looking for Red Viper and Open force Falcon (for allied force only) help apprecia

TG never supported any other version besides F4:AF so you're not likely to get many responses here on those other versions. You might try multiviper, simhq or frugalsworld.

STT is single target track. If you go through the air-to-air tutorials in game it should help you with that. Unfortunately the best ways to identify friendly vs. enemy flights in F4:AF are AWACS, STT and situational awareness.
    New to TG?

Comment

Re: Looking for Red Viper and Open force Falcon (for allied force only) help apprecia

There are several ways to get a good idea on who is what and it starts at the briefing screen. Take a look at the maps a few minutes before take-off and see what is out there. You can take a look at the ATO as well. Pay attention to AC operating beyond the flot as this is where enemy AC will be coming from.

You can also check out which airbases are operating AC for additional info. What you are after is to build up Situational Awareness. We try to do this with as much data as we can get our hands on.

So once you've checked out the map, the next thing you can do is use your wingmen. You can tell them to attack your target - if it's a friendly they'll tell you (though I consider this to be a bit of a cheat).

Migs have dirty engines, they will leave a black trail behind them which is noticable from many miles out when using your NVG's. Again, this is a bit of a cheat as the real things probably wouldn't allow this. One point here, friendly AC that are damaged emit black smoke too.

Your RWR is probably your best bet. If it has a mig at your 12 and you have a radar contact at your 12, there's a good chance that's what it is.

Locking up a target in STT will get you a 'buddy spike' call if it's a friendly. Again though, be careful with this as radios can be damaged.

Once you have a target locked, you can padlock it. A red box on it indicates an enemy and you can padlock this way outside the normal 10 miles. (not sure if you get the coloured box though). Blue is friendly and green is unknown.

All this said and done, real life pilots can't engage targets at will. They have to be sure that they are shooting at the enemy and even IFF is no guarentee that you don't have a freindly locked up. IFF only sends out a code. If it gets the wrong response then it does not show as friendly. If the IFF is damaged or wrongly coded, they can be mistaken for enemy.

Having flown falcon for the last 3-4 years, I've never needed IFF. You really need more than just reliance on IFF to qualify your target. This is a study sim and you'll find that there are many years ahead of learning how to play this sim. To date, no other sim has come close to offering what F4 has and it's almost 10 years old.
      Jex.

Comment

Hey Xemper,

I have to agree with Jex. You really can get along just fine without IFF. Just rely on the RWR, Padlock, and AWACS (if it's available!) and you'll do quite well.

-Kilo
        Last edited by kilo_lima; 12-05-2007, 10:09 PM. Reason: Didn't want a sentence in there.

Comment

Re:

Hey Jex:

Long time no see. How's it going mate?

-Kilo

Comment

thanks for the quick response guys, knew about RWR but thats about it as well as a bit about awacs, i understand as you all said that IFF if it existed in the game wouldn't be highly reliable but i still thought it might help thats why i asked oh well back to the tutorials to figure out STT (im assuming thats a target lock? with that thing up in the radar that tells you what the target is though i understand a friendly can still be a mig) also patched my version up to date will that help targeting and sit awarness at all?

Will let you know how i go thanks for the info guys cheers

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by kilo_lima View Post
              Hey Jex:

Long time no see. How's it going mate?

-Kilo
              Hey Kilo,

Yup long time bud, hope ur well. Things my end aren't so good right now but I'm getting by. Anytime you want to get a flight in m8, PM me :)
              Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X