Should I pick this game up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I pick this game up?

I've been thinking about picking up a good flight sim (pref. modern day combat). Would you guys reconmend this game if I'm mainly interested in playing online? I know this game is kind of old now, but it doesn't look like there are any new ones on the horizon. Is this the one to get?

Re: Should I pick this game up?

Reccomend, yes.
    Mainly online, that is all contingent upon the ability to find other online players
    Old, yes but expertly modified by the community
    New on the horizon, Black Shark which I doubt we will ever see and its a helo sim anyways.

Falcon 4.0 has been heavily modified by a dedicated and rather large (but fractured) and very talanted user base. There are multiple mods to choose from and multiple configurations within each of those mods. I would reccomend that you find an active squad to talk with (here is a good start, if they are active) and see what they use and just adopt that as your own.

If you are looking for a combat based jet sim that has it all, Falcon certainly does, even neary 10 years on from it's initial release. Allied Force is an updated Falcon 4.0 relased more recently and t has a slightly updated engine, improving graphics somewhat.
    LawnDart

The second mouse gets the cheese

Comment

Get Falcon 4: Allied Force as this is your best bet for stable online play. Be prepared to learn this sim though - you cannot just jump in it and it takes time to learn all the nuances of the game.

A good place to start would be Multivipers as he hosts a 24/7 dedicated server and there are plenty of people there willing to help new guys get started.

PM me if you'd like to hook up for a flight and I can guide you through the basics.
      Jex.

Comment

Im might actually be "getting" this game aswell...

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
        The BigC

Comment

Originally posted by Xmaster View Post
          Im might actually be "getting" this game aswell...
          In that case, be prepared for one of the most involving games of your life. To paraphrase what someone once quoted, "There's a whole war going and someone put me in charge of an F16".
          Jex.

Comment

Unless you are very into jets and flying I highly suggest do...... not......get....this. Trust me I had to take a hour a reconfig and type out all of my controls and paste them on the wall. It took me 8 pages of controls which is worthless and a watse of ink. I really regret doing that and even buying the game. Its a great game but it just not for me. I rather shoot stuff on the ground its much more fun :)

Comment

Originally posted by Twiggy View Post
              Unless you are very into jets and flying I highly suggest do...... not......get....this. Trust me I had to take a hour a reconfig and type out all of my controls and paste them on the wall. It took me 8 pages of controls which is worthless and a watse of ink. I really regret doing that and even buying the game. Its a great game but it just not for me. I rather shoot stuff on the ground its much more fun :)
              Is that the sole reason you don't recommend this sim because you had to reconfigure the keys? Most people just leave them as they are and it is not something that has to be done - I'd say you wasted your time. If it's a "great game" then what games do you play, only "really great games"?
              Jex.

Comment

I have it. Patched up and ready to go...only need a joystick now...

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
                The BigC

Comment

Originally posted by Xmaster View Post
                  I have it. Patched up and ready to go...only need a joystick now...
                  What r u looking to get?
                  Jex.

Comment

Next year when i finish reading the manual :p, maybe i'll join with you guys...

Just kidding, this summer i'll try to finally start playing allied force, LockOn is just to bugy, it keeps crashing all the time... ubish****
                    sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Lock On is great for making movies and it looks beautiful (I never had problems running it) but with no Dynamic Campaign, what's the point?

With Falcon, you have a whole war going on around you and you're never quite sure as to what is going to happen after you take off.
                      Jex.

Comment

Hmmm, worth picking up or should i wait for Hawx?

Comment

Originally posted by jex View Post
                          Lock On is great for making movies and it looks beautiful (I never had problems running it) but with no Dynamic Campaign, what's the point?

With Falcon, you have a whole war going on around you and you're never quite sure as to what is going to happen after you take off.
                          I know the campaign is a big advantage, as the more simulated aircraft. But there is the graphics problem.... (old)

You can play in MP with lockon, make the missions and playing them it's still fun, but in 4 of 5 times we try to plau it, 1 of us crashes to desktop if not all.... (i think it's a feature of ubisfot games ;) )

I'm waiting to see if the aircraft addons start comming, and wait for a dynamic campaign generator as the one made for IL2 (www.lowengrin.com)
                          sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge.PT View Post
                            I know the campaign is a big advantage, as the more simulated aircraft. But there is the graphics problem.... (old)

You can play in MP with lockon, make the missions and playing them it's still fun, but in 4 of 5 times we try to plau it, 1 of us crashes to desktop if not all.... (i think it's a feature of ubisfot games ;) )

I'm waiting to see if the aircraft addons start comming, and wait for a dynamic campaign generator as the one made for IL2 (www.lowengrin.com)
                            Lockon will never compete with falcon for a DC. Try placing hundreds of objects in lockon and watch your PC melt ;). The great thing about the falcon DC is that it places the entire opfor and blufor army on the map, across korea or the baltic. the graphics aren't that bad considering the age of the game.
                            Jex.

Comment

To Jex

Been working hard at nailing the basics since I sorted a sound issue I had with the game. I've just finished work for the summer :) :) and will have some time on my hands.

Would love to get online and have a flight sometime just to do it :) , maybe during next week.

Just got Track IR pro and it's blown my mind hehe. Anyways will get the weekend parties out of the way and check back here. Would like to get a feel for online before I approach an active squadron somewhere.

Thanks in advance and will check back after my hangover.

p.s all configured for teamspeak and game patched up

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X