Landing Final Approach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landing Final Approach

I just can't figure it out - I'm on my final approach, as far as I can tell doing everything according to the manual, but setting my fuel to 2300 pounds per hour/ 75% throttle with the landing gear down my airspeed just drops too fast and I end up falling out of the sky.
    This all happens way before I reach the runway and I just can't understand what the trick is. Can anybody help?
    Thanks alot!

Re: Landing Final Approach

There are no preset settings that will guarantee a good landing.... this landing tutorial by Paul Wilson has the info you're looking for.

http://http://www.e-haf.org/PublicFTP/BIBLIO8HKH/_321/F-16%20Landing%20Tutorial.pdf

"Any angles you give the bogey on the first pass will haunt you for the rest of the fight."
    Lieutenant Jim "Huck" Harris, USN

Comment

Thanks Novice - it's just so odd to have put the info in the manual, no?
      Thanks for the link anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by splosh313 View Post
        it's just so odd to have put the info in the manual, no?
        From page 57 in the manual.....

"Once the gear are confirmed down and locked, start slowing the jet to 160 knots by pulling some power off. Set your fuel flow to about 2,300 pounds/hour or adjust your engine to about 75% on the RPM gauge."

...all they're saying is, power back to begin your approach. Later in paragraph 10, they say...

"Once you are pointed at the runway threshold, use power to control your airspeed and keep the flight path marker on the end of the runway."

Paul Wilson's tutorial will get you on the ground safely while taking into account your jet's fuel and weapons load.

"Any angles you give the bogey on the first pass will haunt you for the rest of the fight."
        Lieutenant Jim "Huck" Harris, USN

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X