Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My pitiful entry into the campaign

Time: 22:10, 8-9-05

My flight of four was tasked with taking out a factory deep in Serbia. Briefing and recon go smoothly, then it's off to the Vipers.

Surprise! It's night-time! What an idiot. I hadn't even considered that it would be dark. It's blacker than the inside of a bear's arse out there. The taxiway is lit with tiny little green lights, but they're practically useless. The tower's screaming at me to taxi and hold short, but I'm foundering around trying to find a damn runway. Meanwhile, my flight starts taking off without me. Finally I find what looks like a runway and throttle up, much to the chagrin of the tower controller.

Climb to angels 22. The flight forms up on me (I was fearful that they wouldn't) so all looks good. AWACS is calling out threats but they are far off. Better get those lights off. What's the key for that? Forget it, I use the cockpit switches. I start scanning the sky. Looks good. Let's tilt up the antenna - nope, looks clean. Tilt down....oh no. Two bogeys down on the deck, angles 2, moving fast. AWACS declares them as hostile. Not an immediate threat, but I send my element off after them anyway. Snake 1-3 bags two bad guys.

My wingman and I reach the Serbian coast while Snake 1-3 and 1-4 take care of business below. We're greeted with a barrage of AA. We're nearing the IP, so head for the deck. SAM launch! Where? One o'clock. I yank to the right and attempt to beam him. Can't see dink - nothing but black. Turn on the ECM...do I have an ECM pod? I can't remember. I'm looking for the little ECM green light - can't find it. I'm way past the IP and only 4 miles from the target. How in hell will I find it in this darkness? Switch to ground radar...OK...choose my Mk82's....what ripple timing do I

"PULL UP! PULL UP! PULL UP!"

Boom.

Killed by the ground.

Thus ended my first campaign mission on the TG server. It appears that the rest of the Snake flight went on without me and managed to take out the factory. They are better men than me.

And yes, as I went to bed that night, thinking of how many things I didn't know or failed to anticipate, I remembered - the "N" key will turn on your night vision goggles.
    [volun]

Re: My pitiful entry into the campaign

Don't feel bad, man. I have flown three campaign missions and I have lost three vipers, heh. And that was in broad daylight with and actual human as my wingman.

Do you play on weekdays? I'd be up for a quick mission sometime. I usually get home from work around 6:00pm CST. I'll get on Teamspeak tonight and see if anyone is around. I am afriad to fly by myself :).

-Aces&Eights

Comment

Nice, thanks for sharing. Sounds about like most of my flights.
      New to TG?

Comment

Don't worry my first flight will end up the same I am sure of that. I can fly tonight around 7:00pm eastern, hit me up on teamspeak. I have never flown online so I might need some help getting setup if you don't mind. Not sure I can handle it yet I still need to get a training flight in with jex but if you want a wingman ill be on.

Comment

I'll look for you guys on teamspeak tonight...I usually get on the PC around 8:00 PM EST. I'm always up for a flight!
          [volun]

Comment

Did you press the 'N' key at anytime?

:)
            Jex.

Comment

I still don't know how to fire weapons! I take off, get lost, and usually end up crashing somewhere. :-)

I need help.. Very badly.
              Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Dont feel bad your as good as me.

Comment

The first part of the training missions don't really require you to do anything specific, I highly recommend going through them from start to finish with the Manual on PDF. My brain is having a hard time taking all this information in. lol

- -

Comment

I'd be happy if my missions went half as well as yours, Polish.
                    Give me strength to save a life...

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                      I I take off, get lost,
                      Dude...that ain't hard to do...Is it ?....that makes me crazy !

Comment

I joined up tonight and ran a mission with the computer I was to take care of the enemy fighters and eliminate them, I took out 1 out of 3. I engage the second one then I noticed I have been using the afterburner way too much and now I have no fuel. So I disengage and go to return home when I realize I am lost in enemy territory, AA is going nuts I am flying 500 feet about a enemy airbase I don't know how I didn't get shot down but I got hit a few times. So I start to limp back to where I think home is and I come across a airstrip which is friendly and now I am down to 100 fuel, about to run out so I call in a emergency landing and the say head 264 heading, I am at the wrong air strip. I believe it was the emergency strip so I successfully land and taxi off the runway, not the right airbase but I did get the plane back on the ground in friendly territory. I got a good but not a mission accomplish and one friendly jet got shot down so I didn't do my job. Jex I will pm you next week about a training flight because I really need it and thanks for you help with opening my ports on my router.

Comment

you can always press Q and ask for a "vector to home plate" from awacs. If you've lost your electronic instruments you can fall back on the compass.
                          Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X