Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The radar cursor using Aim-120

hey guys,

Question, what does pressing the "0"key over a target when I move the radar cursor in a 20 mile range over a target do? Does it lock on to target or what? I if it does, how does it lock? cant seem to lock it. Do I get a tone?

Ministry

Re: The radar cursor using Aim-120

If you're referring to AA mode pressing it once will "bug" the target, pressing it twice will "lock" it. You'll only get a tone if you have a AIM-9 selected.

Check out this link for a pretty good description of the modes and what they do:
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/harries...rTutorial.html

It helped me get a hang of it all

Comment

hey hardtale,

thx for the info site, it help me quite a bit. Where can I find info in the manual about AWACS?

Ministry

Comment

Glad it helped.

Info on the AWACS Radio commands are on page 453. Always "Declare" your AA targets and remember "Bogey" means the target is unknown (could be hostile or friendly). This usualy happens with ground and low flying targets that they cant positive ID.

Some other various usefull info on the simhq.com faq's thread here: http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boa...f=140;t=000580

Comment

I have a question about Declare calls during online flights:

I always declare when flying solo because you can never be too sure. But during an online mission should every pilot Declare on their own or do pilots in a flight get clearance from their Lead, who is responsible to Decalre with AWACS? I ask because it would seem like a lot of radio chatter could be generated if every pilot in the campaign was calling AWACS to declare. What are the protocols, if any, in this area?

Comment

You should always declare a target as the flight lead cannot be sure what you have targetted. As for the chatter it's something we all have to live with and it's very frustrating when you get a none priority call in between making the process 10 seconds longer.

10 seconds at a closure rate of over 1000 knots is a very long time.
            Jex.

Comment

Anyone know what the real-life procedure is? I know that in a lot of situations, there won't be a lot we can do about the multiple declares in a furball. But, there may be some kind of procedure we can use when circumstances are more controlled.
              [volun]

Comment

The real life step we are missing in this game is IFF systems (Identification Friend or Foe) which would take 90% of this work out of the game.

My opinion is that the flight lead should interogate and sort bogies until the point where he cannot keep up with the amount of threats. That's his job after all.

If everyone in the flight is interogating then Situational Awareness of the flight lead will quickly be lost and before you know it there will be four f-16s heading in four different directions. Obviously, in a furball it's unavoidable except for the padlock check. Red box=shoot ;)

We're getting pretty good with the basics of this game and I think the next step should be to increase our level of realism in AA encounters.

This is what the ideal radio chatter would sound like after a good declare(thanks to raptorman at Frugals):

Cowboy 1-1 Contact, 11 o'clock, 40 miles, angels 15.
                Cowboy 1-2 Confirmed.
                Cowboy 1-1 two contacts, 11 o clock, now 30 miles, one lead, one trail 4 miles behind, both angels 15, sorting the lead bandit.
                Cowboy 1-2 not sorted, negative on the trailer, sorting the lead bandit, 11 o clock, now at 25 miles, angles 15.
                Cowboy 1-1, roger your sort, targeting the trailer, 28 miles, angels 15.

Read the rest for it is good.
                New to TG?

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure Declare calls are only heard by your flight (possibly package..need to verify this as my mind is mush atm from being at the hospital all day). So you shoudnt be hearing Declares from other packages.

With that being said, it can be intense in a think sky. But it is manageable by paying attention to the Bullseye from Leads calls and AWACS warnings, checking the HSD for already bugged targets, etc. Also important is your flights ROE layed out in briefing from your Flight Leader.

It's actually pretty cool how it all comes together when communicating and organizing over TS.

Comment

I think that declaring a target all depends on the circumstance. The way we usually approach A2A threats is by having the lead making the AWACS calls for "vector to threat" and "request picture". Then depending on the # of enemys on the radar and # of friendlys in the flight the lead aircraft locks up the first bandit #2 locks up the second and so on.

Now, since we just got the AWACS call and the lead aircraft finds the bandit and locks it up and identifies it as a hostile by declaring it to AWACS. The lead now can give the bullseye on the lead and the rest of the flight can lock up the rest of the enemy flight. The best way I have found to do this is by looking on your HSD finding the bandit that lead has locked up and then on your radar with TWS scrolling over and now you know for sure you are pointing your wepons at an enemy target. So all the lead has to do now is give the weapons free call and there is no need for you to declare b/c you know you are firing on a bandit.

There is the possibility however, that there is a friendly in a dogfight with the bandit that the lead has locked up but, if AWACS calls out a 2 or 4 ship of say MIG 29's then you know that there are 4 of them and they are more than likely in a close formation.

So my guidance to everyone is, if there are suspected friendlys in the area use the declare function. But, if there are only 4 contacts on your radar where lead has locked up a known bandit and AWACS says it is a 4 ship then save your time and save your ass. Because we all know that a MIG 29 is nothing to take lightly and you have to be agressive. Better to make them go defensive than to declare and have a missile coming at you at MACH 4.

Slammer

Comment

Originally posted by Slammer
                      I think that declaring a target all depends on the circumstance. The way we usually approach A2A threats is by having the lead making the AWACS calls for "vector to threat" and "request picture". Then depending on the # of enemys on the radar and # of friendlys in the flight the lead aircraft locks up the first bandit #2 locks up the second and so on.

Now, since we just got the AWACS call and the lead aircraft finds the bandit and locks it up and identifies it as a hostile by declaring it to AWACS. The lead now can give the bullseye on the lead and the rest of the flight can lock up the rest of the enemy flight. The best way I have found to do this is by looking on your HSD finding the bandit that lead has locked up and then on your radar with TWS scrolling over and now you know for sure you are pointing your wepons at an enemy target. So all the lead has to do now is give the weapons free call and there is no need for you to declare b/c you know you are firing on a bandit.

There is the possibility however, that there is a friendly in a dogfight with the bandit that the lead has locked up but, if AWACS calls out a 2 or 4 ship of say MIG 29's then you know that there are 4 of them and they are more than likely in a close formation.

So my guidance to everyone is, if there are suspected friendlys in the area use the declare function. But, if there are only 4 contacts on your radar where lead has locked up a known bandit and AWACS says it is a 4 ship then save your time and save your ass. Because we all know that a MIG 29 is nothing to take lightly and you have to be agressive. Better to make them go defensive than to declare and have a missile coming at you at MACH 4.

Slammer
                      Be very careful here! ALWAYS declare if you do not have a visual (padlock). You may think you're certain but that's not enough.
                      New to TG?

Comment

Geez Squid, you act like someone was stupid enough to shoot you down or something ... <runs away> :icon19:
                        [volun]

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid
                          Be very careful here! ALWAYS declare if you do not have a visual (padlock). You may think you're certain but that's not enough.

I dunno I think that if you keep up your SA and pay attention that you don't always have to use declare.

I understand where you are coming from Squid but, if you are a wingman I just think its better not to use declare in the right circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie
                            Geez Squid, you act like someone was stupid enough to shoot you down or something ... <runs away>
                            I guess if we all follow the ROEs we'll get home safely....:)
                            Last edited by USN_Squid; 12-20-2005, 08:35 PM.
                            New to TG?

Comment

Always use declare, never assume anything. Declarations can be done in plenty of time as long as they are done in order.
                              Jex.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X