Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Management......

Hey guys;

I need some tips in fuel management. It just seems like almost everytime I come back from an mission and head to base, I have about 2500 of fuel left and my fuel warning comes on. I can see I'm burning a lot of fuel.

Ministry

Re: Fuel Management......

Last couple missions I actually had a chance to return I have been bingo fuel and declaring emergencies just to get on the ground in time.
    One problem is I have been carrying heavier loads than the rest of my flight and need to use higher throttle settings to catch up.

Comment

2500 lbs RTB is plenty under most circumstances. Make sure you Ctl-J if your mission is over. This releases all stores including the hardpoints, but not your AA missiles ;) Also, if you're RTB get up to 27k+ and you could fly to Japan and back.

One thing you may want to watch is to try and maintain your energy; Get better at cornering speeds so you bleed less speed, only use the burner briefly to get back to cornering speed, and if you are running full burner to out-run something than just point your nose straight down and get the heck out of range.
      New to TG?

Comment

Fuel management starts on the runway. When you take off using burner, apply the burner after you reach 120kts.

In the climb, keep your speed above 300. If it goes significantly below this, you'll find it takes an age to build it back up. F16's best acceleration is between 300-400kts.

Keep an eye on your fuel flow. This goes down as you get higher. If you're really low, get to angels 40+.

If your fuel flow reads 4000 - you will burn 4000lbs in an hour. If you have 2000lbs left, you'll be empty in 30 minutes.

When low on fuel get as high as possible (still keeping 300kts+ in the climb). When you hit your last 100-200lbs, chop the throttle to idle and coast in. That last little bit of fuel may make the difference on landing.

At 40,000 feet, you can coast for 30 miles + easy.
        Jex.

Comment

Your post reminded me of another thing Jex. You can see exactly how much fuel you will have when you return to base given your current configuration, therefore giving you an idea of how serious your fuel situation may be.

On the ICP make sure you are on the default page by hitting RTN. From there click the "CRUS 5" button three times until the DED reads HOME. The fuel number there is how much fuel you'll have at touchdown home plate.
          Last edited by USN_Squid; 01-18-2006, 01:48 PM.
          New to TG?

Comment

To quote jex "..fuel management starts on the runway.." , is good advice. Better yet, fuel management starts at the Briefing. Part of being a Flight Leader is ensuring that the mission is not doomed for failure from the start by failing to give your team the proper amount of fuel. It is always a compromise, more weapons and less fuel, or alot of extra fuel, and fewer ordinance - Flight Lead - don't sell yourself short of fuel. Many air engagements have been won & lost because one of the parties involved did not have enough fuel left to continue!
            Secondly, do not use afterburner unless absolutely necessary. If your TO runway is a longer one, use more runway and no afterburner at TO. Flight Lead - wait for your entire flight to get airborne BEFORE you turn and burn for the next steerpoint, this usually only requires one orbit of the airfield, and prevents catch-up syndrome.
            And last, but certainly not least, manage your altitude! If you are 38-39000 lbs, trying to cruise at 25000 may not be reasonable due to air density at those altitudes. Keep it down around 19000 and plan the flight around possible SAM threats.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X