MS AntiSpyware question regarding demo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS AntiSpyware question regarding demo

I downloaded the demo from the TG Member Download area. I've just installed it.

The latest version of MS AntiSpyware is asking me the following question after I've installed the ageia PhysX driver:

A startup program trayicon.exe requires your approval.

Name: trayicon.exe
    Path: c:\program files\ageia technologies\trayicon.exe
    It wants to know if I should allow this or block it. Despite a "spyware" program's complaints, I have no security concerns here... I just don't want something happening at startup if it's not absolutely necessary.

My question is: can I play this game without whatever "trayicon.exe" is running?

I realize the game just came out. But I figure there's no harm in asking.

You cats playing the demo... do you have a process named "trayicon.exe" running at any point during your gameplay?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: MS AntiSpyware question regarding demo

yea

Comment

You can turn off the trayicon in the ageia settings.

Comment

Does doing so prevent the process from running, or does it merely hide the icon, leaving the process running?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/star...n.exe-694.html

Comment

Cacheboost, eh?

Ok. I'll drink the Koolaid.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Comment

Looks like the GRAW demo tries to "ping" a server on installation to count installations all over the world.

Also the aegia physx driver tries to connect to the internet during installation (possible for a ping or checking for updates). Whatever it is doing on a verisign website i do not know.

You can check http://crl.verisign.com for yourself. Interestingly the robots.txt disallows search robots.

Here are two examples of the Physx driver installation:
              Originally posted by Samples
              Direction: outgoing
              Local Point: 84.x.x.x, port 1784
              Adapter: LAN-Verbindung
              Remote Point: crl.verisign.com [12.158.80.10], port http [80]
              Protocol: TCP

Direction: outgoing
              Local Point: 84.x.x.x, port 1786
              Adapter: LAN-Verbindung
              Remote Point: lb-iisdt.ubisoft.com [216.98.48.19], port https [443]
              Protocol: TCP
              former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                Cacheboost, eh?

Ok. I'll drink the Koolaid.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Wow!
                Grats on the reference, sadly few will really get it...
                Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X