GRAW (full version) First Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRAW (full version) First Impressions

A shiny copy of GRAW has reached my hands.
    First impressions:
    -Sluggish mouse issue no longer seems to exist
    - Game runs at a comfortable 25 FPS with multiple enemies on-screen
    - AI seems to handle itself well during combat. It seeks cover actively, will peek out around corners and dive or slide into safety when needed.
    - The control scheme was a little irritating to pick up after playing the original GR, and I've attempted to rebind my keys to more accurately represent the 1st game.
    - Purty. Even on low settings.
    - Multiplayer has not been tested yet.

Specs:
    P4 2.2ghz
    ATI 9800
    1 gig of ram

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Re: GRAW (full version) First Impressions

I'd like a decent keybind setup for myself, although I must continue to use WASD for movement, and using Q+E work fine for peeking, but C and V gotta change to something more comfortable to use, and changing weapons with pressing F then using the scroll weapon doens't suit me very well at all. I'd like a faster method to do this.

Comment

Just tried to have a shot at some multiplayer.
      What I dislike:
      -To play online, you need to create a Gamespy account.
      - The interface for creating said account and logging in is horrendously irritating. Or maybe I'm interface-challenged.
      - Looks like you need to have a copy of the game installed and running to host a dedicated server. I don't know if this is going to make setting up a TG server more irritating or not, but I suspect it will.
      - 5 Domination maps:
      *Shanty Town
      *Warehouses
      *Downtown
      *Avenues
      *Church
      Last edited by munchkin; 04-28-2006, 08:05 AM.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
      Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Yea, creating the gamespy account is buggier than.....I don't know what. First it would say, confirm password, over and over, then nick was invaild...then you have to agree to both options appearntly. Which one sends your info out to others I believe.

Comment

Didn't know the game was out. Seems a week early. Where did you get yours? You preorder from UBI? I heard they ship a few days early.

Comment

Thanks munskin. I played a little last night (Demo) with a couple of buds. Got to get the full version Tuesday. Really looking forward to it. What I read about the multiplayer domination I think it will fit in real good here at TG.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Guess Ubisoft's just been at the top of their game, in getting this shipped so soon.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
              Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Could you elaborate on the sluggish mouse movement? Are you playing the game with the exact same settings as the demo and noticing a difference in how you aim?

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                  Could you elaborate on the sluggish mouse movement? Are you playing the game with the exact same settings as the demo and noticing a difference in how you aim?
                  I'm running exactly the same settings as in the demo (but the mouse sensitivity defaulted to a lower value for some reason). The crosshairs seem to move faster, more smoothly and with far less of a delay.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                  Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Well, that's good news, but it's also bad news, because I don't want to buy the freaking game before I figure out if it's going to be worth it :D

Comment

You don't have to create a new gamespy account, just use your existing gamespy account... www.gamespyid.com if you don't have one already

Comment

Just took some of the Domination maps for a spin (on my own), and here are a few more impressions:
                        - The Domination maps seem pretty large. I'm having a hard time thinking of size comparisons, but they should hold 32 players with space to spare.
                        - Although large, they are repetitive in content. I walk down a street, and pass a half-collapsed three storey house. Turn a corner, and walk a bit further. I pass a different, but identical half-collapsed three storey house.
                        - The physics effects are pretty darn cool. I especially enjoyed shooting the doors off cars, blowing them up with a grenade launcher and the fact that you can shoot out tyres. Some parts of the environment react wonderfully, but others (such as windows on generic houses) don't.
                        - Bullet effects on the environment can be strange. When I fire a pistol into a brick wall, a huge chunk of the wall shouldn't suddenly get deformed.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                        Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Originally posted by munchkin
                          When I fire a pistol into a brick wall, a huge chunk of the wall shouldn't suddenly get deformed.
                          If you're going to nitpick, then I am :D Theoretically if the brick wasn't completely set in the wall the bullet could easily pulverise the entire brick.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                            If you're going to nitpick, then I am :D Theoretically if the brick wasn't completely set in the wall the bullet could easily pulverise the entire brick.
                            I'm not talking a brick here, dude. More along the lines of a deformation two-and-a-half feet by two-and-a-half feet. It's just so...visually arresting to see that occur in a firefight that it seems so incredibly incongruous with the game world.

|TG-2nd|munchkin
                            Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

*one pistol bullet sends a car flying into munchkin*

Its fun to play around with the ageia physics demo. Click on the little taskbar item and then go to demos or one of the tabs and there is a demo with all of these blocks with amazing physics properties.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X