GRAW - Second impressions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRAW - Second impressions.

Second impressions because my first impressions were that this game ran like crap on my computer and I didn't like it (because of that).

I messed with the options a bit and got it running smoother. However, there is a serious problem with mouse lag. I move the mouse - .5 seconds later the input happens in the game. This is a PITA. It feels like old direct 3d lag of yesteryore where if you switched the game to Open GL the mouse input would be instant.

This game seems to be pretty good. Very slow and methodical, requires more deliberate teamwork and tactical movement. It is very different from BF2: which is fine. I'm really looking for something to replace BF2, as the amount of fun I've had in the game of late has waned. The Scrim was awesome, but I think I'm going to put the game down for awhile until a total conversion mod comes out (or until the next scrim).

The rest of this post isn't going to be very organized: I'm just going to spit out things as they come into my head.

-I don't like how the game seems to "forget" some of your button presses. If you press a button like crouch while a character animation is playing, then it doesn't crouch when the animation is done. The game is very finnicky about what button presses it will recognize depending on what stance you are in, what animation is currently happening, etc. I find myself having to keep pressing the same button over again to achieve a desired result.

-Does anyone know what that "stance change" button (or something close to that) actually does? I believe it is bound to ctrl by default. Doesn't seem to do anything.

-Graphics are good, but not very scalable. You only have some basic things you can change to try and up the speed. Probably because there is no AA setting (at least in the demo) but the game looks like utter crap below 1024. Even 1024 is jaggy but that could be because i'm used to cranking the AA in BF2.

-We were playing 4 player coop last night. It looks like how this is going to play out is that the team leader (if he dies the game is over for everyone) is going to sit back and almost act as commander. He can give waypoint orders just like in BF2, and he needs to be in the back for safety.

-Die and thats it. No respawn, nothing. You can view through the eyes of your teammates but you are out of the game until a new one starts. If you caught a bullet early, you EASILY can have to wait 30 minutes to play again. Good and bad I suppose.

-The way you select weapons in game is awkward, I dont' like it.

-There is an odd sort of 'spotting' system that seems to put a pink marker on an enemy if he is spotted by anyone on the team. You don't have to actually press a button to spot, it just happens. I sort of like it, mostly because the game is so hardcore and that you do need these little advantages to make it through. I imagine the hardcore among us will turn it off though.

-Playing last night, we never made it to the halfway point of the level, it is QUITE challenging. That being said, everyone is still sort of learning the game and I imagine it will get much easier.

-This game doesn't seem to have the kind of replayability fun that a game like BF2 would have. I say this because you can easily memorize levels and have a good idea of where the enemies are going to be the second time around. This makes it less fun overrall, and I imagine it will become a chore to run to the same corner, drop the same two guys, move to the other corner, get the two guys that come from the APC, etc. The first time through a new level should be really fun though. That being said, we DID notice last night that enemy locations are not static. The game seems to have some randomness to where exactly enemies come from. Bonehead said that they can actually flank you and come from a completely unexpected direction: however this never happened while we were playing.

-I like being able to loadout my weapon as I see fit. Adds a bit of specialization to the different ghosts which can be used to make an assault even more tactical. From my albeit brief experience though, it seems like many of the guns are just flat useless. The scar-L seems to be far superior as an all around asasault gun if you want to actually kill something. The saw and sniper rifles are awesome as well.

Anyway, I like the game overrall and will probably end up purchasing it. It is very hardcore and I can see why it fits TG style of play well. I will probably get bored of the game pretty fast if there isn't alot of downloadable maps to freshen things up. The second and third times you execute the same cover/flank maneuvers are not nearly as engaging as the first time, when you actually don't know there are tangos in the area. I will probably have to buy a new videocard (again!) though. Anyone want my 6800?

Re: GRAW - Second impressions.

I wouldn't worry about the replayability too much. Especially if they release a mission editor like they did with the original GR. In the original GR there was never a lack of missions and many missions made by third parties after the fact had a LOT of randomization in them that gave them extended playability. Some even had randomized objectives so your objective points would change each time you played them.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
      I wouldn't worry about the replayability too much. Especially if they release a mission editor like they did with the original GR. In the original GR there was never a lack of missions and many missions made by third parties after the fact had a LOT of randomization in them that gave them extended playability. Some even had randomized objectives so your objective points would change each time you played them.
      Thanks, you've laid my major doubts to rest.

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
      |TG-2nd|munchkin
      Nec aspera terrent.

Comment

Not to mention that GRIN is probably working on the first addon by now.

From what I've seen tho, the demo mission seems rather lengthy so there may be a lot of hours spent before "bordem" sets in.

Add in the MP and different peopleto play with, leaders, orders given, and it again will be a while till it feels "played out" I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhack
          -Does anyone know what that "stance change" button (or something close to that) actually does? I believe it is bound to ctrl by default. Doesn't seem to do anything.
          I believe its bound to SPACE by default and it took me some time to figure out how to handle it.
          Press and hold SPACE and you can change your stance by holding FORWARD (W) or BACKWARD (S) keys to go prone or stand on your toes.
          former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Originally posted by Bhack
            -We were playing 4 player coop last night. It looks like how this is going to play out is that the team leader (if he dies the game is over for everyone) is going to sit back and almost act as commander. He can give waypoint orders just like in BF2, and he needs to be in the back for safety.
            You have to be careful with this though, since the squad leader emmits some kind of magical life giving aura, and you die if you stray to far from him (kind of silly imo).
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dawolf
              I believe its bound to SPACE by default and it took me some time to figure out how to handle it.
              Press and hold SPACE and you can change your stance by holding FORWARD (W) or BACKWARD (S) keys to go prone or stand on your toes.
              Oh ok, thanks.

Comment

I wouldn't be 100% sure of custom maps being released all the time; in a game like Ghost Recon creating a custom map was much easier than for a game like GRAW, since this game is much more advanced and you have to deal with a lot more props and lighting and textures and stuff like that. I mean, some of the original Ghost Recon maps are just a bunch of space, trees, and 5 buildings. That won't fly in GRAW, which has content for close-in urban maps taht are a lot more difficult to make.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoCelchuuu
                  I wouldn't be 100% sure of custom maps being released all the time; in a game like Ghost Recon creating a custom map was much easier than for a game like GRAW, since this game is much more advanced and you have to deal with a lot more props and lighting and textures and stuff like that. I mean, some of the original Ghost Recon maps are just a bunch of space, trees, and 5 buildings. That won't fly in GRAW, which has content for close-in urban maps taht are a lot more difficult to make.

Do we know its all urban? Just wondering I guess...maybe thats a spoiler and no one should answer :row__687:

I saw some XBox 360 shots that actually had the color or for our french canadian friends colour green in it...even with water and sand...well..guess the sand was about the same as mehico city :row__540:

Comment

Originally posted by +Mot73+
                    Do we know its all urban? Just wondering I guess...maybe thats a spoiler and no one should answer :row__687:
                    There is no reason to believe the entire game is urban. It seems this "opinion" is made off the demo and the assumption that because there is support for urban environments (which we had in GR as well) that all maps MUST be created in urban environments.

There is also nothing stopping development teams from making wilderness-style maps.
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                      There is no reason to believe the entire game is urban. It seems this "opinion" is made off the demo and the assumption that because there is support for urban environments (which we had in GR as well) that all maps MUST be created in urban environments.

There is also nothing stopping development teams from making wilderness-style maps.

I was hoping its not all "mexico yellow". While that doesn't bother me in the demo, it would get old fer sure.

Comment

To add:

- You can see all the enemies outside in the command map, regardless of whether you are the commander or not (can anyone confirm if dead teammates have access to the command map?)

- Enemies spawn in the same place every time, at least in the demo (I already know where they are in the demo level, so its boring now)

By the way, where are you guys getting the full version?

Comment

Regarding the "map" and "mission" editing stuff:

1. They have stated they are releasing a "mission" editor, so expect to see a decent influx of new missions just like GR.

2. The concept of the "map" in GRAW is totally different to GR. I can't say the entire game takes place in Mexico City, but this is what I know. Mexico City is supposedly a large, single-area map, similar to games like Grand Theft Auto, where you are supposed to be able to traverse the entire city (though missions I think usually only take you on a certain area). I think they've indicated pretty heavily that the game is based entirely around Mexico City. Perhaps they will have some external rural areas, but if so they haven't been talking about it.

I don't know what ramifications this will have for mappers. Perhaps a campaign must take place on a single, uber-map, in which case modders would have to either create one-shot campaigns on small maps or mapping would be limited to mod groups, who are able to pump out a lot of map material (like Frostbite). I do know that the X-box or playstation is already getting an "extra" campaign, that is more rural and takes place in Guatemala (I think), so the engine appears capable of rural areas. The question, of course, will be how well the AI functions in rural environments, since the bulk of GRAW appears to be urban.
                          [volun]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X