False Advertisement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False Advertisement?

The following pic is one of the recent screenshots posted on official GRAW site. How come visual quality (=AA in this case) is so different in the demo no matter how high you go in resolution.

Is it a common practice to take screenshots at very high resolutions and then reduce the image size to give a false impression about the visual quality?

Isn't it false advertisement?

Re: False Advertisement?

I think the demo only allows medium settings. The full version will be prettier.

Comment

Yes and no. I think it's common practice to take screenshots at the highest quality. Then they can resize them however needed for different applications (maybe one website wants 800x600, another 1024x768). In general with digital images you want to retain the highest quality possible in the original, so that you have the most options in the future.

I would not go so far as to say that this is done in some deliberate attempt to mislead the viewer.
      [volun]

Comment

Every game makes their screenshots better, but i personally feel that nitpicking at graphics isnt the best way to judge a game, especcialy when the game DOES look really nice regardless.

Comment

It's probably just 1600x1200 resized, which gets rid of aliasing. Unless resizing is false advertising, you're just nitpicking because your computer isn't as nice as theirs :D

Comment

It's 1280x1024 resized because the ratio of the resolution is 5:4.

Are you truly buying a game because of its cool graphics? Some do, but as true gamers we have to watch out for hype. Everybody is so hyped about HALO insertions. What's so cool about that? You get to listen to a briefing while looking at the city. Woo hoo. What will you be really thinking when you play the game? This briefing is retarded because I have to watch it again just because the squad leader died in the previous attempt.

Buying games is the same as buying any other product. Be careful of hype and research what you're buying. Be a smart consumer.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
              Are you truly buying a game because of its cool graphics? Some do, but as true gamers we have to watch out for hype.
              So to expect good graphics from a game makes me what? Why a good tactical shooter, a war game cannot have great graphics as well?

If I didnt want really good graphics, I would play ONLY OFP.

I am a tactical gamer. I am a simulation fan. And yes, I want photo-realistic graphics. There is nothing wrong with that.

Visual quality of a game is a big immersion factor. I dont care about the hype, I do my research and give my own decision. Published GRAW screenshots are all misleading. The actual game is visually much worse than those shots.

If GRAW were the only tactical shooter out there, yes I would buy it and forget about the jaggies. But I have OFP, BF2 Tac Mod and will have Armed Assault very soon.

Obione,

Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with texture quality. You will have the same jaggies in the final product.

Comment

More importantly, what kind of a jackass would stop to take a picture while his team is bunched up like that in the open with two tangos engaging down low from the front, and another providing overwatch up high from that balcony?!?! I don't even think the clown has his EOTech turned on!

Comment

You guys can change the texture quality to "High" (I did) in one of the XML files.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown1
                    You guys can change the texture quality to "High" (I did) in one of the XML files.
                    I guess you missed my answer. Changing texture quality will not get rid of the jaggies. Only anti-aliasing can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Strag
                      More importantly, what kind of a jackass would stop to take a picture while his team is bunched up like that in the open with two tangos engaging down low from the front, and another providing overwatch up high from that balcony?!?! I don't even think the clown has his EOTech turned on!
                      A kind of jackass who watched the intro movie in which a squad advances "tactically" in the middle of the street as if they are walking with a parade...

Comment

I love a good parade!!!!

Haven't had a chance to play the demo, so I can't comment on the graphics just yet...

(I was rushed making that...I'll do better next time, I promise!!)

Comment

Originally posted by John CANavar
                          So to expect good graphics from a game makes me what? Why a good tactical shooter, a war game cannot have great graphics as well?
                          So if GRAW didn't have good graphics, would you still buy it? Would you choose a game that has good graphics or good gameplay? Screenshots are hype. Descriptions can hype gameplay too. I'm trying to say that we have to be smart consumers and read reviews instead of getting excited from screenshots and press releases.

Perhaps you're right though. GR was released at about the same time as OFP. Both are great games but I think GR has been far more popular, or mainstream, because it looks better. OFP has a large following but it's become a cult classic.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I have to draw a line on graphics though, GRAW looks decent imo. Nothing special and the gameplay is fun. Just probably doens't run good enough for me to keep playing, and I would never upgrade my computer for any game, I upgrade for myself.

sidenote, I think GRAW is honestly to demanding for its graphics, people should learn from valve how to optimize a game engine and the game can still look incredible and still run great.

Comment

I was thinking this thread was gonna be about the lack of multiplayer..lol..I think its just a hipe thing, make it look good on their uber-gameing computer and put out all those shots showing what it could look like if you have 3k to build one. Not false advertiseing, cause they are just sho caseing their product
                              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                              -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...