No announcement yet.

Convince me this is a good purchase....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convince me this is a good purchase....

Not based on gameplay, because i've been a hardcore Ghost Recon player since "Rainbow Six" was originally released. I love the gameplay and I need no convincing there. Where I need convincing is on the software itself. I installed the demo last night and was not pleased in the least bit. The game was choppy, the mouse response seemed "sluggish to too-fast" at times, and the framerates I was getting were in the area of 20-25FPS. Here are my system specs:

Athlon64 3700+
    2GB RAM
    ATI X800XT-PE
    SB Audigy 2
    Dell 20" Widescreen LCD, native resolution 1680x1050 (I run all games at this resolution)

By no means is this system a slouch. However, this game brings it to a crawl when set on 1440x900 (I think that's the resolution). I have no option to set it to 1680x1050 at all and even if I could, my system would probably die. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against a lower resolution if the game would "fill" the monitor. The problem is that it doesn't do this. It puts black borders on the edges of the monitor and keeps the set resolution at actual size. I.e, 1440 pixels wide on the 1680 pixel wide monitor. This isn't so much a problem but when I get to lower resolutions in hopes of better framerates, it's too small to see. This is not a monitor problem, I can get it to fill the screen on all other games when I set them to lower resolutions (has been verified). In order for me to play this game at a lower resolution, I need it to fill my screen so I can read the text and see details. I've attached a screenshot below that shows what 1440x900 looks like on 1680x1050. Note the black border. Imagine if I set this to 1280x720, the text becomes so small I can't read it.

So, given these problems, why should I invest $50 in this game?

Re: Convince me this is a good purchase....

Because it is one of the few games where there is no medic to save Bommando.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Bubba
      Because it is one of the few games where there is no medic to save Bommando.
      Tha winnah! :row__572:

Comment

I'm considering passing on this as well, at least at launch. I'd need to spend $300 to get my system up to the point where it didn't choke on the game: $200 for a new video card, $100 in 1gb RAM. Hardly seems worth it for a $50 game that has no multiplayer component.

Comment

Im with Mateo and JMJ. Although i my update my card im not sure if im gonna purchase it. I dint see really anything that was to spectacular about this game. I also see alot of people complaining about how its run at TG. I got other games i can play that give a better tactical and team play then what ive seen so far in the videos and game play ive done. And with BF2 comeing out with co-op, that will take the place for those who cant play this game. I can play SWAT AA GR, that give a better sence of team play and tactics

just my thoughts
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehead
            Also set your post effects to low, helps quite a bit and makes no discernable visual difference.
            1024x768 isn't too shabby looking!
            I'm not against running at that low resolution, but it doesn't fill my monitor (and yes I have "full screen" selected). imagine 1024x768 pixels on a 1680x1050 monitor in the center. the text is so small i can't read it. For some odd reason it puts black borders on the game, no other game does that (including BF2). Look at the picture I posted above. That's 1440x900 on 1680x1050. The black border is the screen fill.

im going to try the settings Bommando suggested tonight. If that goes well, I'll be buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
              I'm considering passing on this as well, at least at launch. I'd need to spend $300 to get my system up to the point where it didn't choke on the game: $200 for a new video card, $100 in 1gb RAM. Hardly seems worth it for a $50 game that has no multiplayer component.
              Hmmm, trip to the other side of the world for vacation or computer upgrade. Decisions, decisions. :icon_cool

Comment

Hmmm, trip to the other side of the world for vacation or computer upgrade. Decisions, decisions. :icon_cool
                LOL. This is the second of 3 trips this year: the next one is El Salvador and Antigua in August.

A man has to have his priorities straight. :row__572:

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                  LOL. This is the second of 3 trips this year: the next one is El Salvador and Antigua in August.

A man has to have his priorities straight. :row__572:
                  Guess we know who the priority is.

The other half.:)

You ever see how easy it is to hi-jack a thread....... sorry JMJ

Comment

Roger that! :row__593:

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ
                      I'm not against running at that low resolution, but it doesn't fill my monitor (and yes I have "full screen" selected). imagine 1024x768 pixels on a 1680x1050 monitor in the center. the text is so small i can't read it. For some odd reason it puts black borders on the game, no other game does that (including BF2). Look at the picture I posted above. That's 1440x900 on 1680x1050. The black border is the screen fill.
                      Do you have the "fit image to screen" option selected in your display adapter advanced properties?
                      sigpic

Comment

The multiplayer is so stupid. Only 4 guys can play COOP together. Wait until they at least mod it to 8-9 players and people start making more open maps. Ill spend the money to upgrade once they do that stuff to the game.

Comment

Don't bother with that; you can select the aspect ratio in the graphics options. Just set it to whatever your monitor is then jack down the graphics until it's playable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodofooko
                            Do you have the "fit image to screen" option selected in your display adapter advanced properties?

I'll check that when I get home tonight. Would be odd since the other games work okay. But I'll check, thanks for the heads up. It's irritating as hell.

Comment

You ever see how easy it is to hi-jack a thread....... sorry JMJ
                              Same. Got two trips, one to San Jose and on to playa that took my computer budget and hurled it out a 15 story window.

On that note I've temporarily borrowed a "full" version to test on my system since the demo performance doesn't seem to be an indicator and can get reasonable performance when setting resolution really low, as well as all graphics options to low. I'm interested to see how multiplayer develops here at TG and that will seal the purcahse for me. Is TG going to be co-op only or will there be this "domination" mode in the mix?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X