Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Contacts" GRAW 1st Impressions (no-spoiler)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Contacts" GRAW 1st Impressions (no-spoiler)

Well well well... after a 2.5 hour download last evening, making me 10 minutes late for work because I wanted it downloaded and installed before work... I got home at 7 AM, and have spent nearly three hours with the first mission in the GRAW game, called "contacts".

Now I know everyone has there own opinion and first impressions, so why is mine any more important... it ain't, but I'm going to do it anyway. lol

First off, I took probably near 100 screenshots of the first mission, and not one captured for some damn reason... so this impression, is screenshot free, which is kinda good because I don't want to spoil anything about the game, just talk about it's pluses and minus.

You start off with a HALO drop into the city... your alone, which the comms guy walks you through basic tutorial stuff, you'll eventually collect your team, with more tutorial stuff... nicely done, not to hard, not to long... enough to get the basics... then you'll move onto your sub-missions within this over all mission.... pretty good action, pretty good story.

The graphics and sounds are great. Mexico City isn't as yellow as the demo was, but still...kinda yellow. Funny how this HUGH city has no one out except bad guys... I mean, what they do...evactuate the whole damn city before this "military action" started?

I have mine max as much as it will allow, (medium) with my card (Raedon 850 XT w/256 RAM), high is not even an option. I have 4x AA on, but it must not really be supported because I still see alot of zaggys, (I run at [email protected]).

The missions are more open and more detailed then ever before.

The enemy AI seems OK... once in a while they just stand there guarding there post, never seeing me (I am a ghost you know) walk up and shoot them point blank, even after shooting his buddy 20 yards away... but when they engage, they engage pretty well, attempting to move to a fire position or nearby cover, occasionally popping up to take a shot, then moving to the other side of the cover... not always, but mostly. The enemy AI still isn't the greatest, but it ain't no Lockdown dumb AI... they preform well enough to keep it interesting unlike that "other" game.

Your team AI is a bunch of rocks, once again not as bad as that "other game" (why do I find myself comparing this and all games to Lockdown now-a-days? lol)

But more then once I lost teammates because they have no clue what cover is. I would send one to a corner, to use the corner as cover, they would run in front of the cover and take shots, but then once under fire most of the time try to get into cover.
    I ordered a member to cross the street for a cross fire, forget to utilize the direction triangle so he faces the way we just came from with enemy now shotting him in the back.
    I was trying to flank a set of tangos, issued the whole team a command to cover an area... next thing I know while I'm going to flank around this wall, my sniper runs in front of me, I quickly command "stop", he stops but then says "enemy contact" goes into the gate of the nice solid wall and quickly dies.

Other times the team AI lays good suppressive fire, allowing me to conduct a nice flank, other times the sniper called out sniper and brought him down with one shot.

I've ordered men to attack a bunker or sniper nest, they moved from cover to cover till they got into position for the shot and took them out.

I really miss formations, why don't we have formations in this game... maybe because it's so close quarters?

At the end of the mission you get a nice stat screen, telling you the time it took you, how many deaths you had (alot, get use to reloading), your shots, your hit percentage, your command stats, how many times you issued commands to your men, and a percentage I guess how many times they listened to me (38%, lol).

Of course death sucks, got to reload from the auto save, no saving in mission. This is OK for SP, but MP it's going to be a bitch (haven't tested it yet BTW).

Oh, that drone is incredible, use that sucker... think of this game as it's meant to be a "futuristic" shooter, not current day, and you'll get over the gaming overlays... they do come in handy, and those enemy triangles are only there when you, a teammate, or the drone see's them...thats realistic for the future of the Army soldier... just hope once the Captain goes down, the mission is over IRL... what ever happened to chain of command, and next man takes over.

I do hope modders can increase the co-op players from 4 to 12 (proper squad size), and find a way to save more often, and also to allow the next man to take over if leader dies. JMO.

I'm enjoying the game, it's great so far... it's ain't a classic like GR1 or OFP, but it's still a good game. I'd recommended it to a friend, but would also tell that friend, "Keep GR1 installed" because you don't know how long this game will last as a "tactical squad" shooter.

Remember, opinions are like... and everyone has one.. feel free to disagree or add to it with your comments or counter-impressions... everyone idea of a good or great game is different. I think counterstrike sucks, but 60,000 players plus disagree. lol

I will be doing a full review for SimHQ within a few weeks after some serious time with this game and the MP aspects, feel free to read it when published, or not. ;)

OK, got to get into mission 2... it's calling me.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: "Contacts" GRAW 1st Impressions (no-spoiler)

Originally posted by Magnum50
    I have mine max as much as it will allow, (medium) with my card (Raedon 850 XT w/256 RAM), high is not even an option. I have 4x AA on, but it must not really be supported because I still see alot of zaggys, (I run at [email protected]).
    I guess you saw that on your video settings screen, which refers to AF not AA.
    AA does not work with GRAW. Sad but true.
    former TacticalGamer European Division

A Tactical Gamer since 2005 (the glorious days of BF2)

Comment

Re: "Contacts" GRAW 1st Impressions (no-spoiler)

Didn't catch that...thx for the info.
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X