Where is everyone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is everyone

I have been in T/S a few times hoping someone would like to knock out a COOP game or two. Hope it is not dead here at TG.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Re: Where is everyone

I was hanging out in there on saturday I think. It's a shame that it isn't more popular here. The game is seriously fun in coop form. The other modes are much less so, in my opinion.

Comment

I'm kind of waiting for the dedicated server to come out.. :(
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Do we have a new and improved ETA on the dedicated server release?
        Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

There's a lot of gripe over the lack of the stand-alone dedicated server (SADS). I'm not sure when it's coming out, but GR.COM just mentioned another multiplayer pack coming out with no mention of an included SADS, so I'm not sure what the story is.

I stopped playing this game after the first week due to frustration with starting/running and playing on these ad-hoc servers.

Comment

SADS seems like a very redundant term to me. Is there someone somewhere who's actually telling someone else, with a straight face, that a server which is not standalone is somehow dedicated?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I am sure we will see a big surge in activity for this game at TG once SADS come out. I never played the old GR, but it sounds like most people want the feel of the original (which I understand is still played to this day at TG). I am sure this will happen eventually (can you say mission editor???).
              The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
              #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
              83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

My system can't run this game, and I have summer evening activities on Thursdays, so I haven't played classic GR in too long. I plan to return to it, here at TG, in the fall, and I hope to play GRAW, here at TG, after my next system upgrade, which is not in the foreseeable future.

Comment

they need the dedicated server software, and up it to at least 8 players, preferably 12 co-op, and allow the game to continue even if the leader dies... IMO.
                  Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                    SADS seems like a very redundant term to me. Is there someone somewhere who's actually telling someone else, with a straight face, that a server which is not standalone is somehow dedicated?
                    A dedicated server can be driven from a game client. Often times dedicated servers are bundled with the game itself but still require the full game to be installed and the CD/DVD to be in the drive.

A SADS is a separate install entirely, does not require the full game to be installed, and usually does not require any special hardware to operate.

Comment

Originally posted by IRS_Agent View Post
                      I never played the old GR...which I understand is still played to this day at TG....
                      You are correct. However, since Wyzcrak has been so busy with his Hula Hoop on Thursdays, attendance has been down during the summer.

Originally posted by Magnum50
                      they need the dedicated server software, and up it to at least 8 players, preferably 12 co-op, and allow the game to continue even if the leader dies...
                      Agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed.

Comment

Ah, ok Apo. I was thinking of "standalone" as "run alone", which both dedicated servers would do, in most cases, I guess. I guess I don't care (so much) how the dedicated server is shipped, so long as it looks, smells, and feels like a dedicated server once it's running. Does GRAW presently require one of the players to host the server on his workstation, or can a workstation somehow be setup to host the game independent of the players, even if it's with files delivered with the client install?

mmmmmmmmm Hula Hoop. What can I say? I can shake mah thang. Anyway, looking forward to the fall (after daylight savings).

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post
                          Ah, ok Apo. I was thinking of "standalone" as "run alone", which both dedicated servers would do, in most cases, I guess. I guess I don't care (so much) how the dedicated server is shipped, so long as it looks, smells, and feels like a dedicated server once it's running. Does GRAW presently require one of the players to host the server on his workstation, or can a workstation somehow be setup to host the game independent of the players, even if it's with files delivered with the client install?

mmmmmmmmm Hula Hoop. What can I say? I can shake mah thang. Anyway, looking forward to the fall (after daylight savings).
                          That depends on the game. Some games come with a dedicated server application, that doesn't require the normal client to start, but still require the full client to be installed and the machine capable of running the full client from a hardware perspective. The original GR is a good example of this.

GRAW has a dedicated server for DM style play, but only an ad-hoc client based server for CO-Op.

I do care how the server ships, as it's rather difficult to get and manage a remote server for games like GR and JO with a client based dedicated server compared to a SADS.

Comment

Sure, sure. I guess what I was saying is that, if given the choice between no DS and client-dependent DS, I'll deal with the client-dependent DS. That's hardly news, though. Who wouldn't?

Comment

waiting for the game to be runable and a dedicated server, like everyone else. As it stands, it takes too long to fire the game up and get ready to play, and also takes too much downtime in between maps.

Once ingame and playing, it rocks, but there are too many surrounding issues for this game to really take off last I checked.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X