What features does GRAW have?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What features does GRAW have?

I was looking through the ubi site and was wondering: are there demo charges? Other mission specific gear? I only saw weapons, support stuff like grenades, and support wehicles.

What else is there?
    Re: What features does GRAW have?

Originally posted by Karma View Post
    I was looking through the ubi site and was wondering: are there demo charges? Other mission specific gear? I only saw weapons, support stuff like grenades, and support wehicles.

What else is there?
    There exists an anti-tank weapon, but no demo charges as the came currently stands. This is something that could be added by the mod community.

Setting up your loadout is a bit different from how it is in Ghost Recon. In GRAW, your character is allowed three customizable "slots" in which to carry items. One slot is for the primary weapon, one slot is for the secondary weapon, and the third slot is for accessories or extra ammo. It's in this third slot that things like binocs, demo charges, or other useful items could be carried, and it's up to the mission scripter as to how these items will behave and interact with the environment.

I think GRIN has put into place the tools necessary to enhance and customize GRAW, but they didn't actually include much content for the OGR coop mode. It's my impression that they'll leave this up to the modding community, and this is why modders will be key to the game's longevity.

Comment

That's tremendously disappointing. The immersiveness of GR was helped by the fact that there were items like the charges which had a graphical component, an interective component (you had to set it, which took time and showed up on the map) and finally a scripting component which was built in to mission design.

The GRAW roll-out for PC seems to have been an after-thought. It's almost like GRAW is just a realistic shooter, meant primarily for killem-all type of games. It's particularly disappointing that this OGR thing seems like it won't do OGR as well as original GR.

I hope I'm totally wrong about that.
      Comment

Out of the box it is a disappointing game. The Mp3 Beta revealed potential I hadn't seen before.

I think it's a matter of depending on the mod community to bring GRAW and its OGR mode to its full potential. Until then, it does indeed seem to be little more than a realistic, slow, tactical shooter... not a well rounded spec forces mission simulator.

Time will tell.

Comment

Unfortunately, the features of a demo charge as exists in GR can not necessarily just be "modded in" by adding it as an accessory. For the mission script to function properly, there was an event trigger in GR, "DemoChargePlaced", that could check whether a demo charge had been placed in a certain zone. If no such item exists in GRAW, it is certainly possible that no item can exist in GRAW - at least on the level of modding that public users will be able to do.

Had they been smart and nice and everything, they could have included a trigger that was like, "Weapon class **** has been placed in zone", which would have allowed people to create brand new classes, like electronic surveillance bugs and stuff.

But anyway, I digress. Everything is speculation until someone can get in and take a look at the events and actions list.
          [volun]

Comment

I know in some missions you can place a demo charge, but it's not an actual piece of equipment. It's just something built in to your inventory that you can only bring up when your standing over the spot on the map that has the little C4 charge icon.
            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by H-Hour View Post
              Unfortunately, the features of a demo charge as exists in GR can not necessarily just be "modded in" by adding it as an accessory. For the mission script to function properly, there was an event trigger in GR, "DemoChargePlaced", that could check whether a demo charge had been placed in a certain zone. If no such item exists in GRAW, it is certainly possible that no item can exist in GRAW - at least on the level of modding that public users will be able to do.

Had they been smart and nice and everything, they could have included a trigger that was like, "Weapon class **** has been placed in zone", which would have allowed people to create brand new classes, like electronic surveillance bugs and stuff.
              From what I understand, GRAW maps have "areas" that can be acted upon by "events." The things that the various "events" do are defined and controlled within the mission script. So, I think the capability to do virtually anything that's desired exists within the game, but like you said, H, it's probably not as easy or user-friendly as GR was.

The various triggers ("events") to do different things (such as blow up a bridge) probably don't exist right now, but they can be created by modders. Also, I know 3D textured models can be imported into the game as usable objects within the world; I imagine things like demo charges will need to be created by modders and imported in this way, and they'll need to be scripted so that they do the desired action(s) given an "event."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X