Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watch your ammo, don't top off to often.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch your ammo, don't top off to often.

I have gotten into the habbit of, after a firefight, reloading my mags to top off my ammo. In most games this is fine and there is no hit to your ammo count.

In this game I have noticed that your guy will throw down the current mag, ammo included, and load a fresh one. You lose the ammo in that discarded mag/box!!! I couldn't see how to pick it back up.
    Is this a realism thing? We were discussing this last night with no conclusion.

So careful with the reloads. You may be wasting ammo.

Also, if you walk over a dropped weapon and it matches your ammo, you will auto pick it up. You can carry up to 10 mags.
    "Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl."

Re: Watch your ammo, don't top off to often.

Originally posted by Redleg75
    I have gotten into the habbit of, after a firefight, reloading my mags to top off my ammo. In most games this is fine and there is no hit to your ammo count.

In this game I have noticed that your guy will throw down the current mag, ammo included, and load a fresh one. You lose the ammo in that discarded mag/box!!! I couldn't see how to pick it back up.
    Is this a realism thing? We were discussing this last night with no conclusion.

So careful with the reloads. You may be wasting ammo.

Also, if you walk over a dropped weapon and it matches your ammo, you will auto pick it up. You can carry up to 10 mags.
    Yes, this is a realism thing.

In the original GR each magazine is independently tracked. If you reload after every engagement, you will end up with magazines that are half to three-quarters empty. You will want to track your ammo carefully as there isn't anywhere to reload and your unspent rounds will not magically move to another magazine.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Wait, you guys are going through full magazines? I'm double tapping targets, so I don't get the "ride up" and have to retarget. Very economical.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
        Wait, you guys are going through full magazines? I'm double tapping targets, so I don't get the "ride up" and have to retarget. Very economical.
        I don't go through a full magazine on a single target. But I will go through a full magazine after a few targets, at which time I do need to reload.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
          Yes, this is a realism thing.
          In the original GR each magazine is independently tracked. If you reload after every engagement, you will end up with magazines that are half to three-quarters empty. You will want to track your ammo carefully as there isn't anywhere to reload and your unspent rounds will not magically move to another magazine.
          That is cool with me, I am all for realism. I guess everyone will learn this one the hard way.

I like the SAW M249 myself or one of those new larger assault rifles that fire 7.62mm
          Taking the enemy head on is for me. May not always work, but is more fun for me than creeping around sniping.

Comment

....one of those new larger assault rifles that fire 7.62mm....
            Anyone notice in the demo that the SCAR-H is listed as firing the "7.62mm x 45mm" round? I wonder if that's been fixed for the final version.

Comment

It's the same in the full version.

Is that inaccurate or something?

Comment

The concept of throwing mags away that still have rounds seems illogical to me. A tactical reload, as the original GR modelled, meant you kept the mag and could load it in again later, albeit with only the rounds you left in it.

Tossing away ammo when switching mags seems like pitching the baby with the bathwater. Don't know why they modelled it this way. Chucking *totally empty* mags I could see... but live rounds???

Comment

Originally posted by Mirfee
                  The concept of throwing mags away that still have rounds seems illogical to me. A tactical reload, as the original GR modelled, meant you kept the mag and could load it in again later, albeit with only the rounds you left in it.

Tossing away ammo when switching mags seems like pitching the baby with the bathwater. Don't know why they modelled it this way. Chucking *totally empty* mags I could see... but live rounds???
                  I agree. With the SAW for instance, I fired about 35 rounds of the 200 round box, we all gave the all clear, and by habbit I hit "R" My guy grabbed the box and threw it down with 100+ rounds in it. He then locked 'n loaded the next box. Counter for # of boxes subtracted by one.

I can understand a few rounds being thrown away but 100+ is a bit extreme for realism sake.

This is a minor issue in a excellent game. I just make sure to hold the hammer down more than I reload :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Strag
                    Anyone notice in the demo that the SCAR-H is listed as firing the "7.62mm x 45mm" round? I wonder if that's been fixed for the final version.
                    Should it be 7.62x54mm? If so that is the round that the Russian Mosnigant bolt action rifle fires and it kicks like a mule :-(

Comment

I agree. With the SAW for instance, I fired about 35 rounds of the 200 round box, we all gave the all clear, and by habbit I hit "R" My guy grabbed the box and threw it down with 100+ rounds in it. He then locked 'n loaded the next box. Counter for # of boxes subtracted by one.

I can understand a few rounds being thrown away but 100+ is a bit extreme for realism sake.

This is a minor issue in a excellent game. I just make sure to hold the hammer down more than I reload :-)
                      But wasn't it YOU that threw away the ammo? Don't hit "R" when you've still got 165 rounds in the can and you won't throw them away. :)

Comment

Exactly......:icon20:

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                          But wasn't it YOU that threw away the ammo? Don't hit "R" when you've still got 165 rounds in the can and you won't throw them away. :)
                          Thats before I knew it would do that. I walked around my dropped ammo wimpering and trying to pick it back up :-(

Comment

SCAR-H is chambered for 7.62mm x 51mm NATO, the same as the M14, the M60, and the M240. It looks to me like a developer copied "5.56mm x 45mm" from the SCAR-L code and pasted it into the SCAR-H code, but forgot to change the "45mm" to "51mm."

I would think Recon forces would be trained to drop mags -- emtpy or not -- into a dump pouch, but who knows. In any case, apparently in this game they just toss 'em on the ground.

Comment

Should it be 7.62x54mm? If so that is the round that the Russian Mosnigant bolt action rifle fires and it kicks like a mule :-(
                              It should be a 7.62x51 round.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as70-e.htm

I have noticed that sometimes the half-spent magazine will be discarded. Maybe I'm not paying attention all the time and it is being thrown away. It's kind of stupid that a tactical reload isn't performed. The original GR had tactical reloads and other games do (SWAT 4, Raven Shield). Looks like the devs didn't ask themselves why someone would want to throw away a half-spent magazine.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X